Zumba DVDs - Help?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by klee73010, Dec 16, 2016.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I am looking to buy one of those Zumba DVD sets before the end of the year. I'm not sure how to figure out which one to get. My company pays a certain amount reimbursement for wellness things, and I'm trying to use that up. Last year I got the Fitbit, year before I got PiYo...
    Since my hip being messed up this fall, I haven't been running as much. It's starting to be better, and I've found myself (again) wandering to look at Zumba info. I've decided this is a good use of the reimbursement this time.

But I don't know which set to get. The "official" one, or something else... which "kit" should I get? there are too many options! anyone have any experience with these DVDs? In the past I've done a couple of videos on YouTube. I've never been to a class because I don't have a membership anywhere.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't like Zumba. LOL. I had the video and I have the Xbox version. Because I'm totally like you and think it looks so fun! Alas, it's just not my style.

Which ones are you debating between? I'm a good shopper even for things I don't like :agree

3. klee73010

@bestcee The zumba name brand kit, or if I should find a generic one, or maybe the lesser one. I have roughly $90 to use for this purpose, and this kit is that amount.
    I searched the forums and found reference of Zumba classes for a lot of ladies, but nothing of DVDs. Maybe people don't like DVDs. Lol

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Well, if you have $90, and you need to spend it, I'd go for that kit. It's a pretty nice kit. But if you are debating on whether Zumba is right for you, then pick up 1 video, and pick up a few others that sound interesting.

The step is a nice touch, and could be used with other workouts too. Have you checked out Youtube? There's a few videos of Zumba on there, and that might help sway you for sure!

5. klee73010

I've done some zumba videos a long while ago via youTube. It's kind of hard to follow the videos. I thought if I had a dvd it's a tiny bit more structure, more like a class... really, I think it will end up being the cardio for my running rest days. I really wish my amount could go to replace my running shoes. Those are not covered, however. Lol!

bestcee likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Y'know... one of my journaling challenge layouts was written about Zumba, so I know that scrapper might be able to help you!

Jill, maybe you have some insight as to what Kristina might need? (I think you guys know each other, lol! I'm just a middle connector).

@jwalls39

klee73010 likes this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@klee73010 Check out this link with comparisons for a few zumba dvd kits. You can get a kit with the step (rizer) or the toning sticks (like light weights) or just go with the dvd's alone.
    http://www.bestwomensworkouts.com/best-zumba-dvd/
    I did zumba for 6 yrs and just took a break from it this year. One thing about zumba is that you shouldn't expect to do all the moves exactly like the instructor b/c for most of us our bodies don't move that way LOL. The longer you do it though the better you get. I don't know what the dvd's are like but the classes I took involved zumba moves, squats, lunges and leg lifts. It was a good worklout and sadly, I've gained 10 lbs since quitting, so that tells you it was a good workout :)

klee73010 likes this.
  8. klee73010

Thank you @jk703 ! I know Jill teaches Zumba, and I've actually been meaning to message her. Forgot.
    I actually think she may want to reach through the computer to slap me for not going in person. :giggle

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  9. klee73010

Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out. It seems like good muscles to focus on for a runner :giggle

10. jwalls39

jwalls39 Well-Known Member

Can't believe you forgot!! Luckily you remembered and pm'd me! What'd you end up getting? Just remember...we all start out with 3 left feet...I know I did! Took me FOREVER to figure it out (of course my instructor spent more time looking at herself in the mirror than "teaching"). I promise...you WILL get it (if I can get it...anyone can!)

klee73010 likes this.
  11. klee73010

@jwalls39 I got all the ones I could!
    Can't dance, exhilirate 7 disc, 3 day shake down, blitz, and incredible slimdown... I think that's everything you told me? Lol

started watching one of the exhilirate intro dvds, and I think it's going to be fun. I can see how the "individual flavor" could confuse me as a beginner though. I'll try to focus on learning first. :)

My reimbursement was approved for all of them. Woo!

bestcee likes this.
  12. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a lot of great stuff!

I'm interested in knowing of all of the items you've purchased, which ones do you like? I'm a Zumba instructor and would be interested in your recommendations so I know what to tell my clients for when they want to work out at home.

13. klee73010

All of the ones I listed were the ones Jill recommended. She's an instructor as well! I haven't tried them yet though. I think I might start this week. :)

14. Aerobigirl

Yes! I think I noticed a page in the MOC challenge about picking a letter. She must be the person who picked Z for Zumba instructor.

I have the Exhilarate series as well as the stuff that comes with the Zumba Rizer (I'm a step girl!). But I like to hear from participants what they like. The eye of the instructor and the eye of the participant are sometimes different. :D

klee73010 likes this.
  15. klee73010

@Aerobigirl she specifically recommended no step... "you can break your neck!!!" Lol! I have only tried one, and definitely as a beginner I'm glad I didn't add a step just yet. Maybe after I know the steps better. I'll try to remember to let you know in a few more months when I've given them a fair shot. :)

16. Aerobigirl

Well, I taught step aerobics for 20 years before I started doing Zumba Step and I've taught that 3 years. To date, my record is zero neck breaks for myself or any member of any of my classes, LOL, but I'm a stickler on safety and tempo. But yeah, if Zumba is new to you, the step might not be your best place to start. :D

klee73010 likes this.
  17. Aerobigirl

PS, have fun! That's the most important. The most effective workout for each person is the one they like enough that they will stick with it.

klee73010 likes this.