Why it Works | Tinting a Photo

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenn mccabe, Mar 1, 2017.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

here's a gorgeous page by @Electra where she perfectly matches the sepia tint to the kit. love it!
    [​IMG]

Dalis, wvsandy and bellbird like this.
  2. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Thank you @jenn ! I had never done this before and really had to play around and THINK before I figured out how to do it. And yes, once you have got it, it IS easy-peasy!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Why didn't I see this before? I'm off to figure out how to do it on Artisan 5!

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

You know i went looking through my gallery for an example where i'd done this and while i use gradients as clipping masks to blend into the background like here, i havent actually tinted the photo and done it! (shakes head) Will add that to my inspiring ideas to try list!

5. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Way cool, I always learn some new tricks here.

6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

here's one I did for one of this month's challenges I love tinting my photos

[​IMG]

lorieh and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I still need to work on this one. I do b/w all the time, but I want to do a gradient w/ color!

8. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I just recently learned how to use adjustment layers with gradients and its so much fun!! This thread added a lot more info! I so look forward to these new technique and learning threads! Thank you!!

9. jenn mccabe

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  10. QuiltyMom

After seeing this thread I decided to investigate further into how this can be done in Artisan 5. I know how to do a full tint, but no gradations, etc. With thanks to my many Artisan user friends over on the Facebook group Artisan lovers Unite! I was able to figure out how to do rainbow gradients and a lot of other fun things. I'll post some examples once I actually try them in a page layout.

But for any Artisan users, please ask to join the Facebook page. We'd love to have you over there, and everyone is super-duper helpful and friendly!

Dalis, BevG and jenn mccabe like this.
  11. jenn mccabe

Thanks Jan for always being willing to help the Artisan users accomplish these things! @BevG too! You girls are awesome. Can't wait to your pages Jan! :)

BevG likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yes, if you are an Artisan user we would love to have you join us on the Facebook group. Lots of tips and help. And it is free. I love what Jan figured out and I look forward to seeing her page with the photos! Tag me, @QuiltyMom so I see it!

jenn mccabe and QuiltyMom like this.
  13. QuiltyMom

I guess I have a homework assignment, huh? :hi5

jenn mccabe likes this.
  14. jenn mccabe

15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Only if you want it to be. I just don't want to miss it because I saw what you did with the photo. :cheer

16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I can't wait to see your pages ladies! I love that you don't give up and keep looking for a way to make it work and succeed!

17. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I do it this way too, add the B&W adjustment and then color layer on top and blend.

18. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I have a lot of pages like this but they are from a LONG time ago, so I don't have them in my gallery here. I uploaded a few of them on my hosting so you could see them!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is an invaluable tool when working on CT layouts if you don't have a pic that matches exactly or when you are working with very old photos. The color often goes wonky on them over time, so you scan them and they are already tinted kind of strangely. I have tried to color correct them, but often just end up taking them down to monochrome and working with them in mild tints. It's historically accurate as it was hugely in fashion when my mom was a kid, and it preserves great photos even though the colors might not have lasted as well as we had wished!

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  19. jenn mccabe

love the pages Sarah - thank you for sharing! And very true ... love your insight!

20. jenn mccabe

did a light tint on my photo for this page - this was already black and white so i used the solid color adjustment layer with a blend mode method.

[​IMG]

BevG likes this.