Why it Works | The Graphic Magazine Look

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenn mccabe, Jul 1, 2017.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

[​IMG]
    Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way.

So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.

1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the way @tappy extracted a photo of her DIL and created this clean, magazine inspired layout. It's such a refreshing way to change up your everyday scrapping style and create something new!

[​IMG]

This is a fun look and easy to achieve. I usually start with an inspiration piece from Pinterest, but you could flip through a magazine (digital or paper) to find inspiration. Often, everyday household item’s packaging can inspire a page as well. Use whatever speaks to you!

Some things to keep in mind when trying to get that clean minimal graphic look on your page:
    • limited shadows in favor of a flat look
    • use of lines and geometric shapes
    • emphasis on typography
    • minimal clean style with few elements
    • white space and limited color palette
    • subtle blending of overlapping shapes/areas
    • often an extracted photo

If you want to try an extracted photo, but you find extractions difficult you can do the fun, scissor-cut look that @Dalis showcased in this version of Why it Works | Scissors, stickers and pasting! Last summer @MrsPeel put together this post all about extracting for both photoshop and craft artist users and she has an updated technique challenge on extractions for our Summer Weekly Focus Challenges HERE. But getting that clean graphic magazine look does not mean you have to do an extraction. Check out these other examples I found in the gallery:

@Sharon Evans
    [​IMG]

@Vrielinkie
    [​IMG]

@LynnG
    [​IMG]

LynnG used her own Follow the Line Album templates to get this look. This would be a great option if you want to achieve this style quickly and easily!
    [​IMG]

@Lynne-Marie also has a fabulous line of templates: Press Play
    [​IMG]

@justjaimee has some cool 6x8 collage templates in fun geometric shapes:
    [​IMG]
    Tour Guide Collection by Paislee Press can help achieve the minimal graphic typography look.
    [​IMG]

So ... tell us ... have you tried your hand at this style on your pages yet? If so we'd love to see it. Or feel free to link us up to a great magazine-inspired layout you find in the gallery.

cfile, CherryAllie, Danyale and 3 others like this.
  2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I believe I broke all your rules, but I wanted to share a magazine cover I made back in 2015 for a Sissy Sparrows challenge done here at TLP.

[​IMG]

cfile, Vrielinkie, wvsandy and 2 others like this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I made this one as a more graphic/magazine attempt

[​IMG]

LynnG, mcurtt and jenn mccabe like this.
  4. jenn mccabe

That is so FUN !!! And rules are made to be broken ... I think lili did a magazine cover inspired challenge at some point too ... mission impossible maybe? Anyway ... love the idea and it came out fabulous!

5. jenn mccabe

love your graphic/magazine spread! and it's not an "attempt" ... it's a success! :)

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  6. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Awww, thank you @jenn mccabe ! So awesome, I hope my LO inspires people!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is so cool! I need to give this a try! Awesome inspiration, Jenn!

8. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

These are all so great. Love all of the examples. I really enjoy LOs that stretch the norm!

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I did these London pages back in 2010 as part of a class and am now thinking I may not even have printed them! Better look...

MMR-Wk-6-HorizS2-left-web.jpg MMR-Wk-6-HorizS2-rightweb.jpg

10. jenn mccabe

glad this post may have helped you remember a forgotten (to print) spread @cookingmylife - love your example - the title/journaling area is really awesome! love the clean graphic look you achieved!

cookingmylife likes this.
  11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Ok, this is my take, not so much magazine, but I tried the clean, simple, graphical!

[​IMG]

12. jenn mccabe

love it @Dalis - very clean and sleek the background and all the geometric shapes are so great!

13. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

the hardest part was not adding the shadows to some pieces, which ended up being my favorite things!

LynnG likes this.
  14. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Awesome challenge! I love this look, but somehow I think I don't do it enough. I was very inspired by @LynnG's LO and templates. Here's what I came up with:
    [​IMG]

15. LynnG

LynnG Designer

That is AWESOME!!

mcurtt likes this.
  16. jenn mccabe

that is so beautiful! definitely a great example of this style! TFS!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

found this beautiful example in the Gallery just now by @CherryAllie
    [​IMG]

18. CherryAllie

CherryAllie Active Member

Oh thank you. I am enjoying all the inspiration on this thread.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I don't know but I think this is kinda a magazine style.. love this of my grandfather :)
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  20. jenn mccabe

@cfile I love that page SO much! I missed it when it made its way into the gallery so I'm so glad you shared it here. AWESOME and amazing graphic little details/touches. WOW!

cfile likes this.