Why it Works | Stand-Out Titles

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenn mccabe, May 1, 2017.

What kind of scrapper are you when it comes to titles?

1. I'm a "titles are an afterthought" type of scrapper.

48.8%
  2. I use templates to help me get the title just right.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I make strong & beautiful titles look like a piece of cake.

16.3%
  4. I tend not to title my pages.

16.3%
  5. other (share in thread if you want).

18.6%
  1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

sharing this awesome idea ... love the page @angiekey created and that title with her Texas enamel pin is amazing. (also check out our Digital Enamel Pin Exchange runs each month!)

[​IMG]

2. jenn mccabe

and just found this page by @Dalis how adorable is this little banner title idea on this C&S page?
    [​IMG]

3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Oh my those are both so awesome. I need to get more creative with my titles.

4. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

this is one I have in my faves to try one day.... @MrsPeel really outdid her self with this one

[​IMG]

cfile, angiekey and MrsPeel like this.
  5. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Kiana....thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to admit I do love the page... :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub Would love to see what you come up with!!!!
    @LoveItScrapIt

@jenn mccabe this is an amazing thread!!!!!

ohhh I LOVE your tittles Jenn!!!!!
    I also voted "other" because mainly I m not sure you can say I make strong and beautiful tittles OR that they look like a piece of cake LOL .... but like Kayla, I LOVE love LOVE tittles!!!!!
    I think sometimes I think the tittle before I start the page, kind of mixture in between the kit's theme and the photo I am scrapping. I love big tittles, love mixing Alphas & fonts, even different alphas , I love Amy Woolf's Itsy Bitsy Alphas because there are so many and can be easily paired with others or fonts and the tittle will look amazing...
    Love the templates for tittles too, sometimes I see the need of moving the tittle elsewhere in the page to make it work,
    I ll come back in a bit with some pages with tittles I love...(need to eat now!!!)

keepscrappin, jk703 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. angiekey

angiekey Permanent residence in the gutter

@jenn mccabe - Thank you for the sweet words of praise! I often struggle with balancing a layout and I cannot create clusters without a template, but titles are the one area where I feel pretty confident. I love to play with styles by @mommyish (I own 175 of them and counting!) combined with fun fonts and, if I can, work in the theme of the layout.

My go-to solution for a basic title is to find a pretty font, type out the title, clip a coordinating paper, and then apply Stylin' #157 - Chip & Stick along with a beautiful drop-shadow from Stylin' #206 - Realistic Shadows for Adobe CC (usually the Veneer one). It works because the white sticker outline gives the title visual weight, and that, combined with the drop-shadow, lets it stand out from the background. Here's a couple examples:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It can also make a thin font bold enough to use for a title, like these - without the white sticker to thicken the font, it would get lost on the page:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If the page background is white, or if I want to use white for my title, I'll use Stylin' #116 - Chipboard & Gloss; the darker chipboard border creates the separation & visual weight like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

One of my favorite techniques is to take an element and work it into, on, or through my title - like the crown on "Whirly Girl" and the candy in "I Love Sweets":
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

By the way, @corsicar - I absolutely LOVE the title you created for your ice skating layout! The contrast of two different fonts, two different styles, and that ice effect with the transparency, overlapping the word "skating" ... it's brilliant and beautiful and I am totally bookmarking it so I can scraplift it later!

7. jenn mccabe

that is from my MOC challenge I believe (with the drop cap? *i think*) :agree I love that she made it into a whole title AND design element on her page. In my opinion @MrsPeel is a master at titles. I think her tell that often on her pages or at least I have done so in the past. She is an endless source of inspiration for anyone wanting to learn how to create stand-out titles for sure @LoveItScrapIt !!! I agree with you 100% !!! TFS this one!

LoveItScrapIt and angiekey like this.
  8. jenn mccabe

@angiekey THANK YOU for taking the time to share all that title knowledge. I feel like I have an arsenal of awesome new tricks to try on my next page. I love it that you included examples for all the different styles and why you pick them! You really really are skilled - and I do love the way you work little elements onto the titles too.

I am learning so much from this post! :agree:beat:heartlub:beat

LoveItScrapIt and angiekey like this.
  9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Thanks! btw. it feels so weird to see my page and C&S next to it. LOL!!!!

keepscrappin and jenn mccabe like this.
  10. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

Aw thanks! :blush

11. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I wrote other because when I look at my layouts, MOST have a title, but some I just feel don't need one, it detracts from the overall of the page.. Albeit the main one that doesn't have on in my layout happens to be the one of the different conversations and has a TINY title in the metal book plate. I guess I could have made that bigger, but I wanted the focus on their words and the funny photos instead.

As for my favorites, it has to be a tie between my BTS page:

[​IMG]

Which I put exactly there to emphasis Yoon Gi's rapping part, he and the the title are the main 'crown' of my layout. Fitting as he's one of my main sources of inspiration.

The second: (I'm amused because both have to do with Korea and that pick was accidental:)

[​IMG]

Is this one. It doesn't "stand out" majorly like others do, but I love this title because of the typography work I put into it. The A is green, finishes off the Caramel, but the bottom of the C and the A for the "A cold night in Korea" form while keeping the Caramel Macchiato in flow.

Now THIS one is yet another one of my typography in actions:

[​IMG] And I love that as a title, don't know if it counts since it's literally meant to keep with the already there LOVE typography of the paper itself.

I think this one is is the "winner" in the "most like a normal title" category. I mixed my typography with an actual alpha (of which I tilted each and every little juuuust a smidge because I don't like uniformed looks generally. I mean really, if I were LITERALLY putting these on my page, I'd get the angles all wrong anyway and they'd be just slightly off.) Plus I love doing that and moving them up and down because I feel it gives character to the words, not just "here's a title" but here's fun, like I'm almost giggling when speaking them verbally so my letters go all wonky as they leave my lips and then record on my page. Languages here would be said with excitement so my letters are jittery and happy to be in this parade of glory. :)

[​IMG]

And of course, not to be outdone with titles, this one has two technically. His name and the word art title. LOL!

[​IMG]

So I'm a weird title girl. Sometimes nothing at all, sometimes it's just a tiny tucked in typography title that's barely noticed and others, I've got several titles everywhere.

Now I'm off to haunt the upper replies and leave love on some of these GREAT layouts I missed before!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  12. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

What a great post Jenn!

[​IMG]

13. vixen

vixen Pink Parrot Head

i title all my pages... may not journal on all of them, but i title them

smooch for Bart!

14. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Bart loves the smooches!

[​IMG]

15. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

Another kiss for Bart!

16. jenn mccabe

love this idea to add the title to a thing strip of paper with a cut out from the ribbon to nestle it into. isn't this so creative? love it! @umyesh

[​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

I think I tend to be like you @Serena - i don't title on some of my pages any more than maybe a name or some little bit of WA and its probably not really even a title. I tend to be all over the place too. I love you examples you shared - and the one with the LOVE from the background paper totally counts - you rocked that page! :)

Serena likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

19. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

kissesssss!!!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  20. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks so much Jenn!

jenn mccabe likes this.