Why It Works: Photo Blending

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenevang, Oct 17, 2016.

1. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks @jenevang for the tutorial. I blend a lot, but I just don't use the gradient tool very much. Your example in the video was super! I'll have to expand my tools and use it sometime.

And @cfile, your layout is WONDERFUL! I love it. :-)

jenevang and cfile like this.
  2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

You are so right ...her stunning page was made even more spectacular by that triangle shape.

I'm in love with this thread already.

jenevang and cfile like this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Awesome page Justine! That's a great tip about duplicating the photo and placing overtop.

bellbird and cfile like this.
  4. suruha

suruha Member

This IS going to be a cool thread to watch! Thank you for a great kickoff post, @jenevang ! @cfile your page is fantastic! So is yours, @bellbird !
    Masks are da bomb! LOL If it is okay, I can add a little something. Start off with a solid black mask, (hold Alt/Option, then, click on the mask button). Then, with a soft, white brush, start 'painting' in the parts you wish to reveal. You have a lot more control over the mask this way, I think.
    Since @jenevang was using a large photo, the gradient makes more sense. But, if your photo is, say, smaller or in the middle of a page, the 'reverse layer mask', as it is called, works great!
    Thank you, ladies!!

cfile, MrsPeel, jenevang and 2 others like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Ooh, that sounds like a really cool idea @suruha ... please share a page if you have one in the gallery! I think everyone would love to see that blending/masking tip in action! Great idea!

6. suruha

suruha Member

Gosh! I use it all the time! Let me see if I can find a good example.

7. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I very rarely have just one blended layer if I blend a photo. I nearly always duplicated the photo and either put it on 'normal' but with lower opacity or else on another blend mode. Often I will add a color overlay to the duplicated photo then erase parts of it.

My first "go to" step for blended photos, though, is to increase the brightness and contrast of the photo.

Iowan, keepscrappin, cfile and 2 others like this.
  8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Here's a double gradient with the photo duplicated, screen mode at 48%.

[​IMG]

MrsPeel and jenn mccabe like this.
  9. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

theseare the times when I wished I scrapped in Photoshop..... I generally only use tghe blending modes on my program, but putting together everything (awesome tutorial @jenevang and tips here girls!) I think I can find my way on Craft Artist!
    Needless to say, I was SO delighted that the page chosen is Christa's... love it!!!!!! @cfile

I love so many people who blend, I ll make sure I ll bring some pages in later!!!

she does!!!!!!! I remember being surprised as how sweet and different to what I thought she would sound... I guess by me knowing Jen for almost 7 years, and having this idea of the strong, almost super woman she is, I thought she would sound with a deeper tone or ...dunno LOL but I was delighted to the way she sounds!!!!! :heartlub

cfile likes this.
  10. suruha

suruha Member

Hi! I didn't forget about this!
    I feel the photo 'blends' much better onto the paper beneath it when a reverse layer mask is used. You can use any brush. (I like to use watercolor splashes or splatters with the 'Fill' at around 15-20.) See for yourself.
    I made a quick little example of using both a regular layer mask and a reverse layer mask:

[​IMG]
    Click on image for Gallery.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

@MrsPeel , this comment totally made me smile :) Love you, lady!

MrsPeel likes this.
  12. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

me too... & you know how much of a huge inspiration you are to me!!!!!! (not only ion the scrapping side....as I said: super woman!!!!) :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

13. jenn mccabe

OK, this is totally awesome to see both examples side by side. I agree it is a better/softer blend. Thanks for sharing this !

14. ljonezy

ljonezy The thingamabob that does the job is chocolate

Beautiful Page Christa!

cfile likes this.
  15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks Lisa.. Love your new Signature too Lisa @ljonezy

16. suruha

suruha Member

I am not sure if this is okay, but, Jana, a Creative Team member for several designers, does fantastic tutorials. She just did one that talks a lot about masks. Her blog/website is 'with2worlds dot org' and the tut is 'How to Use Gradients Part 2'. She actually shows both methods, your gradient and my reverse layer mask!

Jana_2worldsart likes this.
  17. Jana_2worldsart

Jana_2worldsart Well-Known Member

I did a video tutorial for Lynn Grieveson here at the Learning pad showing how to blend with her brushes

Here is the thread

jenn mccabe likes this.
  18. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Awesome! Thanks for linking this up. I'm going to check it out for sure! Lynn has some beautiful products perfect for blending.

19. suruha

suruha Member

That's what I did with the example I posted, Jana! Your video is much nicer than my example. LOL

20. jenn mccabe

Gorgeous Jana! I so love your artsy blended pages. I can usually pick them out right away as being your work. You are talented! Thanks for sharing the Lynn G tuts too. I love that this thread has so many ideas and ways to achieve blending on our pages. I need to play! :)