Why It Works: Journaling on a Path

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Nov 1, 2016.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

[​IMG]
    So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be.
    1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*

Sometimes a layout just hits you, because it checks off all the fun things in your brain.
    This page:

09.29.2016 Zack's New Fish by Megan H
    is one of those:
    [​IMG]

The circles caught my eye right off, and then the blending of the fish in the cool background brought me to look deeper. (SEE LAST WHY IT WORKS for more on Photo Blending)
    Taking a theme (here is the fish) and playing off it is always a grand way to show off your photos and memories. Alfred and Edgar in b&W with the stroke (I think that is them) with the title made me giggle, so I can tell them apart. That Zack is part of this page, both in the journaling and in the photo is just perfect. So, I get to looking and there are bubbles in the corner, bubbles in the photos from the aquarium and then the circle photos are like bubbles to my eyes. I always like three things too..don't know why, but maybe, like a triangle it completes the page for me. This page is a fantastic memory page, and I can see it in a book. (please MeganH, tell me you print your pages, so Zack can enjoy this).

Your journaling going with the circles is just the cherry on top for me!

I love how the journaling becomes almost an element in itself. It seems so so hard to many, but really once you play and practice, it gets easier.
    Here is a LINK to a tutorial Polly Farrah did a few months back:
    It also has a great tutorial by our Polly Dalis in it also:

Now, sometimes, you want it even easier. I know US! lol
    Sahlin Studio has a few Text on a Path templates and a bundle
    [​IMG]

Just open up any of the included PSD or TIFF files, plop them on your layout, highlight the text, and type over it with your chosen color and font. It's that simple!
    To go even quicker, and experiment with the curved text paths, Scrapping with Liz has these templates Winter Wisp
    Three of the templates have custom text paths/boxes that mirror the curves in the design.
    [​IMG]

Using a text path is so awesome for art journaling. Here is a page I did numerous paths in her hair for my journaling:
    [​IMG]
    If it has been a while, don't get frustrated, give it a whirl...
    I am going to work with this technique today,
    I hope you will join me!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

This is great Anne, I avoid journalling on a path ( cos I whine like a little kid, it's toooo hard!! Don't make me...)

Time to give it a serious try I think...

bellbird likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Holy moly Anne... I stopped doing joap (journaling on a path) because my dh had a devil of a time reading the text. But I'm game..I'll try it again and see if I can make it more legible!

bellbird likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I LOVE journaling on a path! WAY back years ago, I upgraded from PS7 to CS2 just so I could do text on a path. It's so fun!

bellbird likes this.
  5. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I'm sure I have more to learn on this technique, but I wanted to share these 2 pages for now, and hopefully I can try some more...

This first one is when I learned to do text on a shape during MOC4. ever since that MOC challenge, I have used it regularly! I'm sure I could re-do this to make it "better", but as it is, I remember how much more effort I had to put in, and I loved it. this was actually for "scrap lift Tronesia" challenge, and her gallery has lots of journaling in shapes/paths , so I chose to learn how!

And this one is one I did a few months ago, using more of a path than a shape. but I was really proud of it, too!

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

[​IMG]
    you woman are
    HE
    LARRY
    US
    seriously JOAP? bhahha I am laughing so hard
    JOAP on a rope
    my brain so enjoyed that

7. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

ANNE! Awesome post! I don't JOAP :giggle nearly enough. Consider me challenged!

Love your description of this fun page. Great job, @Megan H !

:giggle ... this made me smile.

[​IMG]

(Side note: I do NOT recommend searching for "too hard" GIFS. Just a warning)

Great pages! I LOVE, LOVE this one. The path is so subtle and PERFECT. Thanks for sharing!

8. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

I have to admit I've never done text on a path (okay maybe once or twice, I don't remember lol!). I just get frustrated coz I never get to make it work lol! I will try in my next, future layout :D Thanks, Anne!

9. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i have some, but they lost on hard drive some where

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Text in a path is fun but tricky sometimes! ! Anne your aj text is awesome!!!

11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

The easiest method (I thought) was creating a selection and then "somehow" turning that into a path. But I could never remember what to do next, so I'd have to resort to finding my go-to video on You-Tube to re-watch, and then re-watch the next time around. @Dalis used shapes & then turned them off, it seems SO MUCH simpler & easier to remember. I am DEFINITELY going to try this out soon! Thanks.

Dalis likes this.
  12. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

I missed this thread and made an ATC for the 30 Days of Gratitude challenge and used text on a path :) I used PSE14 for this one :) If you haven't tried it then give it a whirl, it's real quite fun to do......... my biggest prob was drawing the semi circles free hand (they were a bit wonky) but you can use the pen tool to fix your path up a bit :)
    [​IMG]

13. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@AnneofAlamo - Thanks for reminding us about journaling on a path and sharing those products with us. I seldom JOAP, because it's so hard to do it in PSE. I know it's possible, but can never seem to remember how to do it. Looks like Ona @wombat146 figured it out. Love your card Ona! :heartlub

I'll have to go add some of those JOAP products to my wishlist so I can remember to play around with it.

14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

[​IMG]

I love text in paths... I do them too on paths but it is more tricky on the path with the pen tool.

Oldenmeade likes this.
  15. wombat146

Kayla, these are the steps I take in PSE14:

I always start a new layer.
    1. Click on the Text on a Custom Path Tool or press the letter T on the keyboard
    2. Draw your shape in one motion - the cursor starts out looking like a pen nib and then changes to a cross hair symbol
    3. At this point if you need to alter the line drawn click on the Modify button, the cursor will look the pen nib and there will be small square nodules along your drawn line. Just click and drag on the nodules to change the shape by pushing and pulling.
    4. Click the GREEN tick (if you are not modifying anything you can go straight to the GREEN tick)
    5. Your cursor changes to an I beam, click on your starting point and type away :)
    In the ATC above I had a series of semi circles where I tried to follow the shape on the paper. When I drew the first one I typed some text on it and then copied the text and kept pasting to fill the line path up ..........so when I drew the second I could just use paste over and over to fill the line path and just kept going like that.

Those are the basic steps I take but to find out more about how to edit the line afterwards you may need to google as I don't use the feature all that much (or perhaps Cheryl @gonewiththewind may know more :))

jenn mccabe and keepscrappin like this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@wombat146 @keepscrappin

Ona ~ it's a great explanation! I don't use that feature much so I don't have anything else to add!

wombat146 and keepscrappin like this.
  17. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Thanks for the instructions Ona. I'll give them a try and see if I can get it to work.

wombat146 likes this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Ona's gorgeous ATC reminded of a page I made awhile ago for a "just for fun" Lili challenge.

I used Jacque Larsen's paper from Launch Pads vol 6 Neutrals and used the pen tool to trace that adorable stitched circle swirl. It was quite the task for me, since I don't use the pen tool nearly enough!!!

Then I turned it into a text path. I agree that this is a technique that can be tricky mostly because I don't use it enough ... so I tend forget the steps too. But I loved being pushed to do this technique and really had a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. wombat146

wow Jenn, that is a fabulous page! totally going to lift it! :)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Karen, check out the video that I made. It has a couple of extra easy ways of doing them. I followed Farrah's tutorial and made it into a video.

KarenW likes this.