Why It Works: Creative Framing

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 15, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way. So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread:

1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently.
    There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    --------------------------------
    Photos go inside of frames, right? Well, not necessarily! There are all kinds of creative ways to use frames, especially in digiscrapping. I just love this layout by @klee73010 and how she used the frame as an element bit with the word strips on top.

[​IMG]

In addition to this, there are many other ways you can use the frames you may have in your stash. Here are a few ideas:

1. Frame your photo, duh

2. Use it like a paper layer behind your photo

3. Clip a paper or some paints to it to change the look and feel

4. Frame your journaling

5. Use a frame to focus on one particular aspect of a larger photo

6. Stack them up

Rae has a great post on the blog all about using frames with styles: https://the-lilypad.com/using-frames/

Judie has another wonderful post about using masks with frames for a neat spillover effect:
    https://the-lilypad.com/creating-spillover-effects-with-paint-elements/

And if you don’t have enough frames in your stash, there are so many fun ones in the store: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Frames/

Here are a few I love:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have you done any creative framing? Noticed any layouts in the gallery with great frames? Please share and let us know how you used them, so we can oooh and ahhh over them!

MrsGaramer, KarenB, klee73010 and 2 others like this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I love how @MrsPeel used the frame to not only frame the photo but to anchor and tie her cluster together.
    [​IMG]

3. BevG

Look at this one using the mask spilling out of the frame. Love this one by @Anny-Libelle.
    [​IMG]

4. BevG

I know these frames are part of the original template, but I love how @JenEm used them to add focus and variety to the photo. This photo is also spilling out from under the frames. Real thinking outside the frame (box).
    [​IMG]

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

oh wow, I adore creative framing ideas ... and these all ROCK! great inspiration in this thread so far ... totally have to remember this design trick! :beat

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

@BevG Those are wonderful examples!! Thanks so much for sharing them!!

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i really love this idea with frames - i've had this page open in a tab for a while after browsing @ArmyGrl gallery - it's an awesome example of this technique IMHO - it frames the canoe and direction she's headed but there is so much peripheral scenery still to appreciate as well
    [​IMG]

8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is one of my pages where i use this idea - some of the 'old' frames have such great texture but are kind of small and i don't love enlarging things much but layering gives me the benefit of the texture and [happy sigh] edge work without having to shrink my photo
    [​IMG]

9. jenn mccabe

awesome examples @bellbird ! i have this one bookmarked for awhile ... by @HeyJude
    [​IMG]

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love using frames in non-traditional ways! Here are a few layouts where I've used them.

In this layout, I used frames behind the photos and filled them with patterned papers.

[​IMG]

In this layout, I used frames at the top left corner of the photo and the bottom right of the photo to distribute the pink and yellow colors.

[​IMG]

In this layout, I used the bottoms of black frames to add some pops of black to pull together the black from my photos.

[​IMG]

In this layout, I used frames as layering pieces under my photo cluster.

[​IMG]

In this layout, I used a frame to hold part of journaling card that I wanted to highlight (the ha ha ha ha ha ha).

[​IMG]

In this layout, I used the frame to highlight the birthday gift I received.

[​IMG]

mcurtt, KarenB, londoncuppa and 3 others like this.
  11. jenn mccabe

gorgeous @gonewiththewind ... i really LOVE that first one of you and @bestcee - that is just too stinkin' adorable! cute cute flow of the photos down the page! all great ideas for fun with frames too. :)

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  12. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Here's a couple I've done with some creative framing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jaharvey, KarenB and bellbird like this.
  13. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I guess I just threw in the frame because I thought the layout needed some balance.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  14. IntenseMagic

Omgosh, these are all such fabulous inspiration!! So fun!!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  15. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

Love these ideas! I never know what to do with frames, other than stick a photo inside. Filling it with paper or layering behind are great options!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

Thank you for this post. So many creative ideas here. I will definitely need to try some of these ideas. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

I went through my gallery and found ONE layout that uses this technique. I should use it more! Thanks for showcasing it!

[​IMG]

18. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

wow, totally late to the game here. THANKS! for finding my page inspiring for this article. I LOVE THIS ARTICLE thing you guys are doing. Love it! :beat :beat :beat

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Great topic, Jan! I did this LO in April.

[​IMG]
    And this one in March of my doggy coming out of the frame:
    [​IMG]

Here I made a background out of a picture of the inspiration of the framed painting:

[​IMG]

My son is spilling out of the frame on this one (though I wouldn't make it as transparent if I did it again):
    [​IMG]

Can you tell I love framing techniques? haha...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

How on earth did I miss this post?! Great tips, Jan... and so many wonderful examples! Off to see if I've done this before.... :giggle Either way, I must give it a try again!