Why don't people use the gallery "like" button?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Mar 16, 2017.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I was just looking at the gallery and it got me wondering. This site has so many different features including a like button that would make it very easy to just go along and click "like" on lots of gallery images without even having to open up each individual page. And yet, no one really seems to use it (including me). By contrast, people "like" lots of comments in the forums.

If you are a non-liker, I'm curious why you don't use the "like" option in the gallery? Do you prefer to leave meaningful comments? Are there other reasons?

Really just idle curiosity on my part. :D

Dalis and keepscrappin like this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This. I use the like button in the forum often. I also use it in the gallery comments. So if you comment on one of my pages, I'll like it to let you know I saw it. And in my head I'm saying "Thanks!". But as far as just liking layouts, I worry I'll get into a habit of only liking and not commenting. So I don't use it.

dawnmarch, sm_amber, bellbird and 6 others like this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I'm the same as Courtney, I like leaving a comment..... but there are times when I want to leave love and not much time... I will leave emoji hearts. I always think are they going to see the 'like' button?

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm the same, I think a "like" on a layout isn't enough... if I really like a page, I wanna comment on it. But I do like when others like my layouts, so I'm not sure why I don't do it more myself actually.

dawnmarch, grrfluudy, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I go in spurts.... I feel I like all the pages, so I'd be liking every single page. :giggle I don't use it much, I generally leave a comment if the page pops out at me.

As for the forum... for me, it means that I like the post, it's relatable to me, or something I would say, good information, more along those lines. Layouts are different... in my mind. I'm weird, though!

Iowan, dawnmarch, sm_amber and 4 others like this.
  6. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I agree that it's nice to add meaningful compliments, but sometimes, when all I got it, "oooh, pretty", I just hit like. It's not reflective of the layout, it's reflective of me not having more to say.

7. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I hit the "like" heart all.the.time. Sometimes it is because I am just scrolling on my phone and in my mind go "oooh. Pwretty" I don't feel I have to leave a comment on a page to show someone I appreciate their creation. I like the ability to do both. I often run out of "words" and feel comments sound forced and repetitive even if I truly mean them...and I do. I would totally heart all the pages though if y'all let me loose too long, hahaha!

angiekey, jesskab, dawnmarch and 5 others like this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Ditto!!

dawnmarch, grrfluudy and keepscrappin like this.
  9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

This is me! I prefer to leave meaningful comments in the gallery. I use the like button on gallery comments, so you know I saw your comment and to say thanks. In the forums I use the like button if I agree or like the post as others have said.

I guess in the gallery I just feel like I want to do more than like when I have the time to do so. I love getting comments on my layouts and figure others probably do too. I'm glad we have the options of both liking and leaving comments so we can do whichever fits our fancy at the time. Either way, a like or a comment is nice to get and who doesn't like getting noticed... we wouldn't post in the gallery if we didn't want some kudos here and there.

10. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

I use the like button a lot! It's so useful when time is lacking (most of the time). I think it's better to leave a like than nothing at all.

Dalis, dawnmarch, grrfluudy and 6 others like this.
  11. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I have this "no layout left behind!" motto. Which means I do my best to look at every possible layout that I can (some still slips through..) and put a genuine comment on it. Which means I sit there and stare at the layout so I can form what I truly think and what I truly like about it. This is very important to me, back when I was on a team and a challenge creator, I got comments about how people would enter my challenges because they would FINALLY get at least one comment on their layouts. This touched me and I've been on the motto kick ever since. It's sad to not have any comments when you've worked so hard.

But! I ALSO use the like button. I'm just very stingy with my like button in the gallery. If I just absolutely love the page so much I want to hug it, it gets liked. Here in the forums or in the comments section, I'm like @bestcee , it's a way of letting you know I've either seen your comment to me, or even if I'm not part of the convo but you said something hilarious, then I like that because.. well.. it's funny and I like it! :D

angiekey, dawnmarch, LynnG and 6 others like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Wanna hear another reason? I love opening up The Lilypad, and having lots of notifications from people who liked my comment on their layout. Because i hope it made them happy inside, and those likes make me happy inside. All the warm fuzzies!

angiekey, dawnmarch, MrsPeel and 5 others like this.
  13. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

:happydance2:yesss:wubb I LOVE warm fuzzies, I agree with this sentiment 200 percent because 100 isn't warm fuzzy enough! :D

:senseWarm. FUZZY.

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I use the like button and I make comments . . . I like having both options!

dawnmarch, LynnG, grrfluudy and 3 others like this.
  15. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I like the like button and try to like all the comments I get on my layouts.

dawnmarch and grrfluudy like this.
  16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

100% this. I do use the like button fairly often in the gallery for LOs as well ... but for me, leaving love via a meaningful comment is what makes TLP awesome!

17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I use the like button on a gallery page if I leave a comment and I really like the page a lot. I also like to leave a like on pages that I like but don't have time to comment on. I also sometimes just browse the gallery without opening pages and like them from there - I especially look for pages without any likes yet.

And yes, on my own pages I prefer to read the comments rather than just a bunch of likes. I have been working hard to be more descriptive in my comments on people's layouts. I figure it is good practice and in the long run will help me be more descriptive in the journaling on my own layouts.

18. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I use the like button more on my phone cuz it's easier (my phone makes weird autocorrections that I can't just tap and reinsert original word). So I get to let the scrapper know that I saw and liked their LO. To me, the button in the gallery literally means "I like this!" which is what I feel, so it seems genuine. But I try to leave actual comments, too.

dawnmarch, grrfluudy and bestcee like this.
  19. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

The like button in the gallery is really small.

dawnmarch, grrfluudy and londoncuppa like this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

that is so true. i apologize in advance for any wacky auto corrects - it's my phone not me!

dawnmarch and grrfluudy like this.