Why do you participate in the challenges?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by pbrooks, Apr 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I love doing the challenges to give me ideas to be creative. :)

Angela Toucan and Rikki like this.
  2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Absolutely for the inspiration. I like it when I make a page with a template I never would have used otherwise (like FDD's clover template last months, for example) or use techniques etc. I normally would be way too lazy to incorporate. I think that in general I am inclined to make more of an effort for challenge layouts. Some of the challenge layouts are my favourite pages ever.

The coupons don't hurt but if a challenge does not inspire me in the least I am not doing it just to get the fourth or sixth layout done. Some months I don't even use the coupoin.

Angela Toucan and Cherylndesigns like this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

The challenges help me to do the layouts, I don't think I even used my 30% coupon last month. I always struggle for inspiration and mojo to start a layout, so I'm rather glad to have challenges to get me started.

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

for the creative kickstart and just for fun!

Rikki likes this.
  5. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Unless there is a wee stack of extra money in the budget, I don't push to finish ail the challenges. I have no idea of how many pages I've created then realized they didn't fit the rules (I tend to get to playing and wander off). . . and I've benefited so much. All those LOs wouldn't exist without the challenges.

Rikki likes this.
  6. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

Like the others, I use it for the kick start, to FORCE my tired brain into figuring out what to do with these photos I need to scrap but haven't. And to participate and keep the community going.

I don't like social media much, there's too much history and negativity to explain, but I avoid them like they're bombs waiting to go off, because for me, they are. If I use them, it's to click on to answer someone or a notification I've gotten and then I'm immediately clicking off.. so for that reason, THIS board, this community means SO much. It's a safe haven for me and a place where all the negative can't destroy.

So I try and facilitate what I can where I can. This place means SO much to me and if that means trying to step out of my comfort zone and use a template or stay within rules that I normally just can't comprehend, then you'll see me there trying! :D

I love the coupons, but I'm SO ditzy that I keep forgetting and they expire. :cry

bestcee, cfile and Mylinn like this.
  7. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I like the nudge that the challenges give me, and I love the coupon! I spend all my extra money on my son, who has autism. I rarely have extra for "me" things. Many years ago when I was on creative teams it helped to get the kits to work with free, but I'm no longer well versed enough on the newest programs to be a part of any CT now. The coupon helps me be able to buy several kits instead of just a few so I can keep up on my hobby of scrapbooking :)

bestcee likes this.
  8. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I love doing the challenges to get me outside of my little comfort box and to get layouts done!

cfile likes this.
  9. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

To challenge myself, for inspiration and the coupon is a nice bonus. Most of the times I'm done halfway through the month, then I focus on the Designer Challenges, my CT pages and/or try to get in some of the Why It Works | Polly Challenges. I did some of the Weekly Focus ones as well, though it appears there haven't been any for a while now...

10. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

What the first three people said! I've just finished my 3rd month! Woo hoo! After finding MOC in January, it's what's got me back into actually scrapbooking instead of just thinking about or intending to do it. Having the end of month deadline is perfect for me and as littlekiwi said, the coupons make it an extra incentive to build my TLP stash as it's so expensive with the exchange rate conversion, US products are about 30% more for us Down Under so it makes it affordable. I'm LOVING achieving more pages. An added bonus is that it does push me out of my comfort zone and I scrap differently because of the challenges from this year! I do all 7 every month (just not the BYOC as I already spend way too much!). :D I LOVE the Lily Pad and you girls! :) :) My best Scrapbooking discovery in years! :)

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Nope, there haven't been any new ones lately, because that was a special summer type thing we did last year during the third week of the month from May-September. :agree

Vrielinkie likes this.
  12. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Aha, I missed that it was a seasonal/temporary thing. Thanks, @bestcee!

13. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Oh, I love this thread and hearing everyone's perspectives. When I first came to the Pad I did the challenges mainly for the coupon but then realized that they really were helping me try new things and get my photos scrapped. Best of both worlds!

14. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I'm not really a challenge person ... challenged, probably ... but not in love with challenges. I usually only do ones that are something I like whether it be style, photo, journaling, etc. I actually start many more than I finish because of lack of continued interest or because, like Mylinn, I get started and run off on a tangent and find at the end that the finished page doesn't follow the rules. I admit, though, that at the first of every month, I check out the challenges and I did get further during MOC than the last time I tried! OK, I think it was only 4 pages but, hey, it's a start!

15. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I like to try new things, and try to find ways to use the challenges to get pages I want to finish done. So, I guess it's the inspiration, and the push to get pages done and keep scrapping! Also, I really like the comments, LOL... And, the coupons, as well as the chance to win a gift certificate!!

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Ok...my primary goal was to have that 30% coupon. Since I've been scrapping since 2008, I've rarely paid full price for a digi item. But I like the push to get challenge pages made with photos of my children in their early years or my grandchildren. I also often want to do a heritage page but I tend to neglect those. The down side is that I rarely take as much time as I'd like with my album projects when I end up scrapping for instant gratification with a challenge! but it's fun!

17. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I'm all about the challenges! Some months it's simply the challenge to find the time to get some pages done. Mostly it's the challenge of trying something new and expanding my repertoire of scrapping techniques/styles. I love getting the coupon but it's a bonus, not the main reason I participate.

18. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I love the jump start of a challenge! Sometimes, my favorite LOs are the result of a challenge that I didn't really like but pushed through.

19. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

Mostly for the inspiration, but also to participate in The Lilypad community. I so love this site and everyone! :-)

wvsandy likes this.
  20. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Bart loves to see everyone in the community participate!
    [​IMG]