What voice do you write in?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by cookingmylife, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

I generally try to write in third person because I want it to be whoever is reading it, reads it as our family's story, not just MY story. Sometimes I'll write in the kids perspective. Sometimes I will write in my perspective. But for the most part, I write third person.

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I always put my name on my album covers as the author so if anyone many decades from now wonders who the I is, they'll be clued in by the cover.

3. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I switch in the middle a lot. I really haven't concentrated on that. For now I'm just happy I'm writing more than two sentences. But it is funny when I think about it.

An aside: @cookingmylife I was just reading the forum names quickly and thought it said What voice do you whine in? I guess you can tell where my head is.

RebeccaH likes this.
  4. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

That's a good idea!

5. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

:rofl

6. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I think this is a really interesting question. It's one I am often asked by friends who are just getting started with scrapbooking too. I tell them that there's no "right" answer or one-size-fits-all approach. Pick the voice that's most natural for you and best fits with your memory keeping style.

I've always said that, for me, my scrapbooks are love letters to my children. My journaling is, for the most part, written as if I am writing a letter directly to them. Some day, when I am gone, I want them to hear my voice talking to them specifically, retelling our family stories and recounting their childhood memories with the lens of how I saw them (and felt them) as their mom.

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

This is me. I'm not a natural writer... it's a struggle. So I go with what flows the easiest for me. The way I pick might not be the "best" way to write... but because it's the most natural way for me, I get the most down on paper. When I try something unnatural to me, I tend to write less.