What voice do you write in?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by cookingmylife, Feb 5, 2017.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I love to read journaling on any pages, but PL is always interesting. I had never considered writing PL journaling in any other voice than my own as it's strictly my own project. DH only sees the album once or twice a year. We're retired so there are no 'children'/grandchildren near by to contribute either.

I was reading one of @dawnmarch 's pages and suddenly realized she was writing in the third person and that floored me! nothing right or wrong about it btw!

What about you? do you use a voice other than your own?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I write in my own voice. My photos, my layout designs, my heart, my words.

3. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Well, I am going to have to say I use all three. I had never thought about this so I went and checked my layouts in the gallery and, sure enough, I found layouts in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person Now my personal journaling is always in first person but I guess that is the only thing that is.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I shudder that I have to teach my kids writing. I will start in my voice, then go to 3rd person, and I think sometimes a forth comes in all in one paragraph. But, good news so far, I haven't (well we all aren't sure about that) had too many people in one sentence!

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

i usually do 1st person sometimes 3rd but most often 1st... what is second?? lol Anne I will call you Sybil! (I loved that movie with Sally Field and her multi-personalities.. (not the sickness mind you) but the different people.. You are too funny re many people in the one sentence!

6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I've done all. I don't do PL, but even on my layouts I don't have a go to, I let the page dictate what person I write in

7. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

It depends on the page and the pictures... I usually write in my own voice- telling the kids the story of their adventures from my point of view. But, sometimes, the page calls for a different voice, and I use that... Not quite Sybil-ish, but I get where she's coming from, lol...

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I usually speak in the first person, as though I am addressing the child/person in the photos.
    Then again if I get interrupted, you know by life and the people I share it with, I probably could swap to the 3rd and then back again. Such is life.

9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I usually write in second person ('You loved playing in the water.') because the majority of my pages are abt/for my kids. When I'm doing an AAM page, I will often write in first person ('I loved watching you play in the water.') but not always.

Although I write in third person ('The mom and daughter loved playing in the water.') when I'm writing short stories and novellas, I rarely write in third person when I scrap.

10. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I do my journaling in first person, but my issue is knowing how to refer to people. Are my parents mom and dad or grandpa and grandma? Is my brother-in-law Gary or Uncle Gary? I tend to flip flop on that a lot throughout my books, depending on what is going on and who is involved.

11. sparagus

sparagus "I accidentally slept with a call girl"

I do a little bit of everything, depending on what "feels" right with the layout. :)

Aerobigirl likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I always journal in first person because I make my pictures and scrapbook pages for myself. (I would be happy to know others appreciate them, but I really do these things because I want to supplement my memory.) I have journaled a tiny bit in second and third person, usually because it was suggested in a challenge.

13. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

When I opened this thread, I wasn't expecting to read about me!! :D I think I've mostly gotten in the habit of third person since I do photo books for our extended family at Christmas time, and I feel like it would be weird to write those in first person. Also, for regular scrapbooking, I do PL and it is a chronicle of all of our lives so to write it just from my perspective feels like it takes away from that a bit. I do sometimes still write in third person -- mainly if I'm writing the way I feel about something or someone instead of just a recitation of events.

lmccandless and Neverland Scraps like this.
  14. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

It depends on the page. Most frequently, I use first person, but I've used 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and mixes of poems, conversations, etc.

15. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I write with whatever voice happens to be in my head a the time...
    :blahblah:blush:carryon[>]:duh:crazy:evillaugh:giggle:hairpol:groan:happyhug:hissy:rollingpin:shemademe:pigout

But that's usually first person.

16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

@tkradtke that's why I usually write in second person. Then it's always Grandma and Grandpa vs. Mom and Dad, etc.

17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

It varies for me from page to page. It depends on who or what the page is about

18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

All so interesting! I can see why people pick other voices for other than challenge pages. @dawnmarch Sorry to have startled you! I can really see using the 3rd person when you do a lot of books for family. @tkradtke I know I switch in using two of my granddaughters' names or just granddaughter. Mostly if I scrap them anymore, I keep it as private as I can short of privacy covering a face.

dawnmarch likes this.
  19. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Actually, I was delighted!

Looking back at my pages, I don't think I'm even using third person correctly :D I say, for instance, "Dawn and Julie went to store." But then, I say "We bought" something, instead of "They bought" something. This is more complicated than I thought!

LOL!

Neverland Scraps likes this.
  20. turtlebug

turtlebug Well-Known Member

I write in the third person. I don't want someone to pick up the book years down the road and wonder who "I" am. So always third.

Neverland Scraps likes this.