What should we read in January?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ok, so now that I'm caught up on the current book club selections, I'm thinking ahead to January. What should we read next? (so I can get something on hold at the library). :)

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I don't have any titles in mind and I'm very open-minded. I have been introduced to several great books in 2016 thanks to the TLP Reading Pad. Thanks! :grouphug

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm currently reading The Memory of Us from Prime Reading. It's a pretty interesting story so far!

I really don't have any suggestions for January though. I honestly don't even know what's out there! I did pick up Room at the thrift store the other day.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I just barely got A Man called Ove from the holds LOL. I'm not even thinking of January yet.

But, may I suggest something short, maybe a cozy mystery or other not too deep book? Since it's MOC, I'm sure a lot of us will be busy scrapping.

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

That sounds like a good idea to me! :) I've got a great book suggestion but it is NOT a light read. It'll wait until Feb or Mar! Maybe we should pick a magazine for January? Like, O Mag or This Old House or something lol.

bellbird likes this.
  6. michelepixels

Good idea!!!

7. tkradtke

Good point! Something short/light would be great!

I haven't read anything by her in a while, but I used to love Laurie Notaro's book. This one looks interesting...

Housebroken: Admissions of an Untidy Life

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well hurry up and read Ove... Lol! I'm all like I finally finished it so everyone else should too so we can chat about it. Ha ha!

Good point about MOC... maybe we should do the next pick for Jan/Feb.

scrapsandsass and bestcee like this.
  9. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

That looks hilarious. :giggle

10. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

this sounds like something i would enjoy

11. tkradtke

Like I said... I haven't read any books of hers in years, but I think I've read at least 5 of her previous books. I never do this... but I seriously laughed out loud and would be in tears with some of her stories. There is one story about splitting her pants that I have to find and read again... I cry from laughing so hard each time I read it.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  12. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

very true.

13. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I have only just fi ished Ove ( confession, bawled my eyes out at the end, loved it!) A cosy mystery or a funny bok would be great - it's summer here and cannot face a deep and meaningful book atm.

Ps, just finished Before the Fall would be a great bookclub book next year.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  14. Tammys_Scrapping

Tammys_Scrapping Well-Known Member

I'm in for whatever. :) I like the suggestion of something easy during MOC. :D

15. bluerose

bluerose Member

New to the reading pad, haven't read a book in a long time so hoping joining will get me reading again. Laurie Notaro book looks like a good read, never heard of her before.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Ove will be out on things like Redbox, and probably Netflix soon. Read quickly ladies!

It's not an easy read by any means but one for anyone looking for a really good book is My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. I am just starting the 2nd book in the trilogy. My easy going book is #4 in the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4). How can you not love a name that is so close to ganache!

Tree City and enjoyyourpix like this.
  17. tkradtke

I'm currently reading Yellow Star from the Amazon Prime Reading selections. What a heart breaking book. It is a super fast read as it is written from the perspective of a child and is written in prose. It is based on the true account from the author's aunt (great aunt?) and it reads with such urgency that it's hard to put down.

18. bestcee

I"m currently reading a total cozy mystery. It's the Good Buy Girls by Josie Bell. I picked up the first off (50% off Murder) off the Library Recommendation list. And have promptly read through the first 3. It's nothing exciting, but it's fun. And sometimes that's enough. LOL.

19. michelepixels

I started a new series in December. The author is Pierce Brown and the first book is called Red Rising. It takes place hundreds of years in the future. People are living and working underground on Mars, believing they are preparing the planet for habitation. They don't know that the surface has actually already been populated for generations. The protagonist joins a rebellion that is fighting to free the prisoned underground workers. I've finished the first book and have begun the second, but I'm finding it easy to be distracted because of the way the book was written.

I'm always intrigued by futuristic stories. But there is a lot of boring battle scene play-by-play stuff in this. And the beginning of the second book appears to be more of the same. Maybe I will try skimming. I do want to find out if the guy succeeds in his mission! But I've just received a due date reminder email today and I've already renewed them once.

One of the things distracting me from those books is another book! A few days ago a book I'd put on hold a while ago became available. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. I don't know if TLP Book Club ever reads non-fiction, and I know we were considering reading something light because of MOC, but I'm finding this book fascinating and I'm definitely reading it this month! As fast as I can, because I think there's a hold line that will not allow me to renew it.

bestcee likes this.
  20. bestcee

I'm intrigued! But your hold up on the Pierce Brown series makes me hesitate. I enjoy future or alternate realities, but I hate play by play. That dragged me down during Ready Player One even though I enjoyed the book overall.

michelepixels likes this.