What do people make of the new iPhones?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Meredith78, Sep 14, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, two thoughts on this:
    #1 all the offers I've seen for the Galaxy Note 8 have been BOGO, and come with extras like a 360 camera, or whatever. I haven't seen that for the iPhone.
    #2 Is there a cheaper option? I haven't fully looked into it, but I know there's a cheaper version of the Samsung 8. Is there a cheaper iPhone X?

For me, nope. I paid $1000 for a computer, I won't pay that for a phone!

LoveItScrapIt and Tree City like this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I have an iphone 6s and will use it as long as I can. DD also has an iphone 6s and wants to upgrade when our contract is up in December, but I don't want to spend $1000 on a phone for a teenager! Really... the prices are getting ridiculously out of control! I thought the prices were bad 2 years ago when we got our 64GB 6s-s for $350 each with a trade-in on a verizon pre-Christmas sale. I'm gonna milk the iphones we have as long as I can. Hubby usually gets a new one for work each time an upgrade comes around so maybe we'll have to rotate through who gets his hand me downs instead of letting our tween use them as ipods.

3. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

We got Iphones last August (2016) and I have the 6 (hubby has the 5SE) and I have no plans to upgrade. That price tag is just ridiculous for a phone.

I would love a better camera on the phone but with my husband's retirement looming the extra money is just not in the budget right now for a phone that works good.

4. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I'm not an iPhone user. I'm happy with Android. I actually just got the LG G5 because it had the dual lens setup where I can take wide angle shots. Apparently, it was well received which is likely why Apple added it to their new phone. Also, in case you don't know, iPhone is partially made from Samsung products ;)

5. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm a dark side user, but I've heard the camera's supposed to be good!

KatrinaHunt13 and bestcee like this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Wireless charging sounds awesome, and I'm intrigued by the facial recognition for passwords.

But, nope. My iPhone6 will be paid off in November and when my husband and I upgraded two years ago I promised I would use this phone for at least 3 years. Longer if Apple doesn't entice me with an awesome feature. I'm looking forward to our monthly bill going down in a couple months when our phones are paid off. And glad our daughters just got their phones (the iPhoneSE, I think it's called, the one that's like a 6 but small as the 5) in February and July, so it'll be at least a couple years before they can consider new phones too (because we pay for them over 2 years with Verizon's payment plan).

Karen likes this.
  7. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I have a 6 Plus (not even a 6s!) and plan on getting an 8 Plus. It has the same camera and processor as the iPhone X, so I won't lose anything there, and I would REALLY like to keep my Home button! Honestly, my 6 Plus is still fine, but my mom has a 7 Plus and I'm slightly jelly of her camera and how much better it is than mine, so I'm basically upgrading my camera and getting a device that also texts and might occasionally call people, too. :giggle

bestcee and Karen like this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Because you asked, I will tell you that I checked Best Buy. You can get an unlocked 64GB Galaxy S8 for $718; a Verizon S8 for $30/month for 24 months (for a total of $720) or for Sprint for $22.91/month for 24 months ($549.84); and, even better, an S7 Edge for $14.99/month for 24 months (approx $360).

Perhaps that's why I like Android: I feel that they mark down older models much more than Apple does. Maybe I just love a good deal. Or maybe I'm old and I can't believe my phone isn't screwed into my wall, with a cord from the headset to the rotary-dial numbers.

9. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I've decided to go with the 8+. I'm a long-time Apple groupie/user, so my plan allows me to upgrade with each new relief without financial penalty. My phone is my everything - calendar, diary, email, reader, video screen - so I don't begrudge the price...much.

@Sokee - I currently have a 7+. I pay about $120 per month for the phone, the phone plan and data (which is actually reasonable in this country!!).

@scrappyjedi - your logic is the same as mine in terms of going for the 8+ rather than the X.

cfile, bestcee, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Well, that makes this an easy decision for me when it's time to upgrade. I'm exactly the same as you - upgrade for camera. Home button I will get used to but cost wise that helps to go to an 8Plus. :) Thanks!

scrappyjedi and cfile like this.
  11. bestcee

I assume it's cheaper than the x?

@Tree City lol. I actually meant for iPhone. We went cheaper than Samsung, and got DH a Motorola in June. He loves it. And the camera is pretty awesome. It has the wide angle feature so selfies aren't weird.

Tree City likes this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I looked at it on line and the camera looks mighty good.. will just have to see down the road.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Meredith78 likes this.
  13. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I have a 5S and really do need to upgrade. It irritates the crap out of me that they quit doing the "extend your plan for 2 years and get a super cheap phone" option, so I've balked at getting a new phone for a while, but since they're apparently not going to go back to that option, I need to suck it up. As much as I love the edge to edge screen on the X, I hate the idea of facial recognition, and since it only supports one face, I really hate it. So I will probably stick with the 8. Unless I decide to be cheap and go with a 7 once they dump the price a bit.

cfile and bestcee like this.
  14. scrappyjedi

The starting price for the 8 Plus is $799, while the starting price for the X is $999. The X's screen is slightly larger and is OLED, but I've been perfectly happy with my 6 Plus screen and am not in the habit of doing things like watching movies on my phone and can live with that difference.

I pre-ordered the 256GB 8 Plus last night from Apple. The order says I'll get launch day delivery next Friday, and I'm so excited! We are going to Disney again in October, and when Mom and I were there in April I was amazed at the photos she got from her 7 Plus. I'm planning on carrying the phone most if not all of the time and leaving the DSLR in the hotel (but I'll still take it on the trip just in case). We went to the parks one night with just one small bag between us with both phones in it, and I REALLY liked not having to tote the DSLR around (and mine is a fairly small one!). So for me the main reason to order was the camera.

Karen and bestcee like this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Is that cost through your carrier? Just checking, so I know to look either where you found or my carrier. :) would you mind coming back and let me know what you thoughts of the camera after your trip? I'd love to hear if there are any changes, dislikes or new likes. I read books, but hardly watch tv or movies on my phone, so I'm not worried about those either. Camera... that's all that really matters, lol!

Karen likes this.
  16. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I ordered my 8 Plus from T-Mobile this morning. We should get launch day delivery and I'm so excited!!! Unfirtunately, it's going to be just one week too late for me to use it at Disney. We're leaving for Disney tomorrow morning. But I should have it delivered on the day that we get back!

Meredith78 likes this.
  17. scrappyjedi

I ordered an unlocked phone with no specific carrier directly from Apple, but I think that the price is the same anywhere. I just paid the full price up front instead of doing an installment plan with our carrier (AT&T). With the unlocked phone I can also use it with prepaid SIM cards if we travel outside the country (likely to happen in the next couple of years), so I chose that option. When the new phone arrives, I'll just have to pull the SIM out of my old phone and put it in the new one.

And, yes, I'll totally come back here after the trip and let you know how it went! I honestly do not expect my photos to be any better than my mom's were with her 7+. The 8+ camera has the same dual lens and 12MP sensor as the 7+, though it is supposed to have a slightly updated detector as far as light sensitivity and a new portrait lighting mode that I will probably not use much. If I had a 7+, I wouldn't be bothering to upgrade to this one, but the jump from the 6 to the 8 is significant enough to make it worthwhile.

18. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I want one! And I want it now! I have a three-year-old iPhone6 that always seems to be running out of space. I will probably wait until Christmas to get one though. Hubby will be retiring on 12/31 (hopefully), and we need to see if they will let him keep his work phone. If not, he says he'll take my phone and I'll get the new one. If he can keep his phone, I'll still get a new one. If I can find out where daughter #1 is, maybe I'll give her my old one, but I have no idea where she is.

bestcee likes this.
  19. bestcee

@scrappyjedi Cool! I look forward to seeing your photos!

Yep. Although, the difference is I'm not paying it over 2 years, so my plan price went down. I got that deal with our, well, my current phone - Galaxy S5. The difference for me is I'm doing like Melissa and buying unlocked phones. The cost is the same, and that way we aren't locked to a specific carrier. If I want to change for a cheaper plan, I can. It's one of the things my Canadian cousins have never understood about us - why we lock into a carrier. They've been on the other "European Model" of pay it upfront.

I am intrigued to see how it goes for Apple because it will affect the flagships for Android prices too.

20. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I had the 5 forever and then splurged on the 7+ because I wanted the better camera and a bigger screen for my older eyes. I love this phone and see nothing in the 8 that makes me want to buy it. I certainly don't to be an early adopter of a phone that is ALL GLASS! They are breakable enough as it is! You can pretty easily replace a screen now but will you be able to replace the whole glass body? I'm going to wait to see how that works out for people before spending $1k on that.

Karen likes this.