using kate hadfield and wondering if there is a style that goes with it

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by bjc, Jan 6, 2018.

1. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

i love the k hadfield elements but i find it hard sometimes to match it up with papers and other elements. i am wondering if there is a style to make the items you may want to use with it that could turn the other items into a paintery like style that would go with the khadfield items.

Kate likes this.
  2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I have used Kate's elements on this page and for me personally I think they work best with plain papers or ones with subtle patterns. I think if you turned your papers to be paint effect it might be too much for your layout unless you are creating an artjournal type page.

[​IMG]

Kate and Lynne-Marie like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

@Kate - I thought you'd have some insight into this question!

Kate likes this.
  4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Kate, bjc and A-M like this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I like to use kraft papers with Kate's fun designs...
    and do find that Kirstin Aagards or Bella Gypsys elements and papers go well with the hand drawn items:
    [​IMG]

Kate, bjc, Lynne-Marie and 1 other person like this.
  6. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Kate's doodles are so fun and unique! She draws them by hand, so they are truly unlike anything else out there. I love using her painted papers to pair with the doodles. She doesn't have a huge variety of papers, but the ones that she does have are versatile and amazing. They are primarily solids, which helps the doodles to stand out and shine. To add texture, I like to add Kate's overlays on top of the paper and turn down the opacity. I've created some fun pages with her doodles recently if you want to check out my gallery. I can often create a fun page using nothing but her products.

Kate likes this.
  7. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

Kate, bjc, EHStudios and 2 others like this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Like @Lynne-Marie mentioned, sometimes all you need is a simple background to let the doodles shine on their own. One thing I've noticed myself doing is using a background paper with a nice natural texture to it. It doesn't have to be extremely noticeable--I just like the idea of hand drawn elements on a background that looks like a piece of sketchbook paper.

Is there a specific item you were hoping to use on a page that made you consider trying a style? Maybe Kate already has a doodle version of the item in her shoppe. We could help you look. She has so many fun packs that chances are good you'll find what you're looking for.

Kate likes this.
  9. kirstiegai

kirstiegai Trick or Treat, RUB by feet!

Hi @bjc I'm on Kates team so have no trouble using her product. I love creating scenes with Kates stuff and when I use papers I usually use a plain paper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kate likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love pairing Kim Jensen's papers with Kate's doodles. Kim has a lot of cool painted papers!
    [​IMG]

Or this one:
    [​IMG]

Or this one:
    [​IMG]

I like the way the paint feels doodley.

Kate likes this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@bjc Kate has a lot of great papers... her sketchbook papers and painted pretties are some of my favorites. She also has lots of overlays to help make them more patternly.. here are just some samples of @Kate Kate's papers :

She has 12 papers packs:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

She also has 8 overlay packs (plus check her blog for her freebie with the January Blog Challenge) that stretches her papers. She also has a few collabs with Kim Jensen so check those too.

Here are the overlays:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you go to Kate's store here at the pad, at the top of the store is a category listing. Paper Pack is the first listed and then the other categories are reflected.

I have been on Kate's team since I joined the pad. I love her packs and have used her doodles in many of my trip books.

Here is a page I just did for the MOC.. I used the Weekend at Home pack plus a school day overlay along with Kate's Wizardry doodles. I think as far as styles go, you just need the correct shadow style and they are perfect :)

[​IMG]

Hope that helps some :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Kate, bjc and A-M like this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Here's a LO I made recently that has some of Kate's wonderful hand-drawn items mixed with items by Just Jaimee. I just wanted to give you a few ideas of how to mix styles.
    [​IMG]
    And another using a mix of items from the template itself as well as items from Kate, Etc by Danyale, and ForeverJoy:
    [​IMG]
    Here's another with a LOT of mixing! :)
    [​IMG]

Kate and bestcee like this.
  13. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I have to agree about the simple backgrounds that look like a sketchbook.
    And I must add that Kate has many packs with tapes, brads, and journal cards, that you can use for a more traditional look.
    Here is page where I used doodles, tapes and brads from Kate, and papers from a collab between Kate and Kim Jensen.
    [​IMG]

Kate, bjc and cfile like this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I just used Kate's Bundled Up elements for printing stickers for my planner for January. Her snowmen are adorable. That doesn't help you get a page done, but perhaps it gives you another idea of how to play with her content. They would be really cute on cards too.

Kate likes this.
  15. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

Thanks so much for the kind words about my doodles everyone! :beat

I've always felt that my doodles work really well with Kim's papers and elements - we're good pals and have made a few collabs together too! My CT often use Kristin Aagard's lovely papers and elements with my doodles too. If there's anything in particular you would like me to make @bjc just let me know!

Tree City, bestcee and KimJ like this.
  16. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

I also find that Kate's products pair really well with Liz's templates!

Kate and bestcee like this.