Using Digi Supplies to Print on Fabric

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, May 22, 2017.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

This is a Hybrid question I guess but...here goes.

I have seen many tea towels/dish towels of the flour sack kind with funny/cute/rude phrases on them as well as interesting images. Many of these designs are just like the elements in our digi supplies. I use real dish towels a lot, uh, like every day and have seasonal collections. It's part of my kitchen 'decor' LOL

I have thought of making some of my own - for me - and wonder if there is a transfer paper that is strong enough for many hot water washings? has anyone made something like this with your own design or say digi word art?

Ditto making much with word art?

tia!

bbymks5 likes this.
  2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I love those kind of tea towels!!! I wish I knew the answer...

3. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I'll be watching this thread as I'd love to know. I've been thinking of doing the same myself.

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have been meaning to try some of the home decor ideas I see popping up on Pinterest with my digi supplies too. Haven't gotten around to it yet though! But on the Silhouette blog (and other similar type blogs) I see these type of DIY posts all the time. The most common method I have been seeing is to use heat transfer vinyl and an iron (you could fussy cut if you don't have a cutting machine). Here are a few tutorials:

https://mylifefromhome.com/2016/04/silhouette-challenge-kitchen-towels/
    http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2015/05/hey-yall-kitchen-towel

There's also a fabric ink option that you use along with a stencil (so you cut the digi design out with the Silhouette onto special Stencil Vinyl and then use fabric ink/paint to get the design onto the towel:
    http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2015/05/diy-tea-towels-with-fabric-ink

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  5. cookingmylife

Oh that's just what I DIDN'T want to hear. Silhouette. I seriously don't want to get one but maybe I can hire a Silhouette owner! lol

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I was going to mention the Silhouette tuts too, but I don't have personal experience with hand-painted tea towels and washing. I'd be too afraid that the regular hot water cycle would destroy it. :( My suggestion is to look at the washing instructions for whatever medium you choose because obviously something marked "hand wash cold water, line dry" isn't going to hold up well.

ETA: omg how funny! You posted while I was typing, Maureen! :) JoAnn's sells stencil material, so you could print out your image and use that as a guide to cutting your own stencil to then paint onto the towel. It just seems like a lot more work than using a Silhouette to do it for you lol.

7. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

ok...so I am on Therm O Web's design team for paper (and one fabric project). They have an product called "Ink Jet Transfer Sheet" that I actually have in my hot little hands and was going to try to do just what you are talking about...but on a tee or bag. It's says it is washable and dryable.

It comes in sheets for both light and dark fabrics. Just looked at the instructions online and it says to wash cold and tumble dry low.....so maybe not what you are looking for???

So my next question is...do you want me to do a blog post for the Lilypad blog doing this???? LOL That way maybe I can work out the bugs!!! LOL

jenn mccabe, bbymks5 and AJK like this.
  8. cookingmylife

@KatrinaHunt13 Yes, yes, yes to a blog post for TLP! I can go with wash cold and line dry. Perhaps these dish towels will be a bit more for show then. Otherwise, I do them in HOT water.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Following... I currently print right onto muslin, but then you have to heat set it. And never have tried to wash them... I am checking out these transfers!

jenn mccabe and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  10. jenn mccabe

@KatrinaHunt13 that would be wonderful!!! I'd love to see TLP digi design stuff translated into any kind of home decor stuff! Do it! :agree

AJK likes this.
  11. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes do a tut!
    I like these ideas but I've never tried any of it.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I made my husband's Incredibles Halloween outfit using inkjet printable fabric paper. It was easy to cut out as it was an oval. And it set with an iron. We've washed it, warm water, line dry since it's spandex, with no problems.
    Not Digi supplies, but the process was the same. I created the image in Photoshop.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

I often see phrases that I would use with my own choice of font. No, not necessarily using purchased supplies. After a lot of years scrapping, I know what I can make myself as a lot of us can. @bestcee is there a photo of The Man?

14. bestcee

15. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

This is the best thing I've seen all day. :D

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

Aw, thanks! He loved having people want his photo with their cosplays. I loved taking them!

17. jenn mccabe

bestcee likes this.
  18. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

19. cookingmylife