UK earthquake 17th Feb

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Angela Toucan, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Has anyone here been affected by this afternoon's quake that was centred in Swansea? I went to university there and the campus was evacuated and people living in the area I was living in back then are talking about building damage, and mass panic. I'm far enough away here that all we felt was a mild tremor.

2. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Ok, I am in Eton just next to the Eton/Windsor bridge by the castle. Earlier this afternoon, I felt the couch shake. It was odd. Even the box of my markers (sitting on the arm of the couch) wobbled for about 10 seconds or so.

Did I feel an earthquake??

I have to look up where Swansea is so I am not sure if I would have felt that. It was very subtle and if I hadn't been sitting still on the couch, I might not have notice. I did have a slight feeling of panic for a moment and rationalized with myself it was nothing or had to do with the remodeling next door.

Update: I am a 3 hour drive from Swansea.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Yes you would have felt that as a slight shake. It was about 2:30 this afternoon.

4. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Wow. I'd have never known. I hadn't seen any of the news here. It was so subtle but so odd. I've never felt an earthquake before. I hope everyone is okay there!

bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  5. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I've been thru some pretty good earthquakes. Don't like them at all. They scared me to death as a child. I remember one when I was about 13 or 14 years old that was one that shook and rolled at the same time. I stood in the bedroom doorway and watched the floor boards of that room go up and down like piano keys being played. When the quake was over they were all back in place like nothing had happened to then. No nails loose or anything. I had never seen anything like that and haven't since either. Amazing stuff! We had one here a year or two ago. A very small one. It was late at night and I felt a little bit of a jolt or sway and heard things around me rattle. Spooked me good and I wondered if it was a quake. I went online and sure enough. There had been a small one to the northwest of us. I think it was like a 4.2. Just very small.

6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We had a small one here just after we'd built our house. I thought the guys working on the stucco outside had moved their scaffolding until I went into town and everyone was talking about the earthquake!

7. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I hadn't heard about it until I saw your post Angela! Pretty amazing/surprising for the UK, must be unnerving when not used to them and where they are so rare! (Of course, on twitter there is lots of joking about it already, especially from kiwis living in the UK, we don't even look up from the desk for a 4.4 LOL)

londoncuppa, Angela Toucan and patsyt like this.
  8. Angela Toucan

Yeah, when you are not used earthquakes, the buildings are not built with earthquakes in mind, you haven't got a clue what to do, and your only knowledge really is what you've seen in disaster movies - makes for scared people. Thanks for understanding that @LynnG

LynnG likes this.
  9. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Oh my!! Haven't heard a thing about this. All I have been seeing on the news is the one in Mexico. Only one I was ever in was when I lived outside of Charleston South Carolina. It was only a 2.8, but it cracked our tile kitchen floor from one corner to the other corner. People don't realize that the East Coast of America has a fault as big, if not bigger than the one along the California coast.

10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I hope everyone's okay! They're downright scary!

Living in AZ we do have very minor earthquakes from time to time, I personally have never felt one or the aftershocks, but I imagine my mind would probably panic a bit!! Not having many natural disasters is what keeps me in my home state...I'm a big weather chicken LOL

11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've felt a 4.5 magnitude earthquake here in Ohio. It was a summer day. I worked 2nd shift and had not yet left for work. My mom and I both wondered what in the heck was with the shaking. It was centered near the border of my county and the county south of us about 15 miles away. A small town is nearby that has had several earthquakes over the years. This one was mainly just broken windows type of damage.

There have been minor tremors over the years as well. When I just looked to see what the magnitude was of that quake in 1986, I am seeing that there have been earthquakes all over the state of Ohio over the years. Over 200 of them since 1776 with a magnitude of 2.0 or greater. No fatalities though! There are 3 main activity areas in the state... I live in one of them!

12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Never heard of it but glad it's over! The few minor ones i've been in around the world are enough for me!! I hope never to be in a serious one!!

13. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I suspect the old stucco and plaster on the buildings didn't like it!