UGH! Typos

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by dawnmarch, Mar 17, 2017.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I was just uploading some pocket style layouts to Shutterfly to print in a book and decided to proof read some of them. I have typos on 3/4 of the pages!! And I really try to be careful when I type!

Are you plagued by typos? Do you proofread your pages before printing? Do you want people to tell you if they spot a mistake? What's your strategy for defeating (or living with) typos?

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We were just chatting about this over in the misspelling post. I try, I really do, but....

I have printed pages with the wrong words (i.e. thing instead of think), misspelled words, left out words, etc. Or the time I used a template and left the "Your memories go here. Your memories go here...." text on the layout. I did not notice it until it was printed. Since I scrap on a laptop, it is easy to overlook something. So often I blow it up to 100% and look at every inch of the page before saving it.

HeatherB and dawnmarch like this.
  3. BevG

And yes, if I post in the gallery and there is a typo, please tell me. Just be nice about it. :heartslub

bestcee, cfile and dawnmarch like this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I never see typos until I've posted the layout for some reason. I think as long as it's in progress, I'm skimming it and seeing it how I meant it to be. It's not until I post it that I read it through other people's eyes. I still don't catch them all even then. I can't help it, but they make me mad when I first find them in my printed books. I had one book I couldn't even look at... I put it back in the package and set it aside for a while. But, it's not long before I'm over it and can let the joy of having a printed book outweigh the annoyance of the typos.

dawnmarch likes this.
  5. dawnmarch

LOL. That's funny although I'm sure it was aggravating to you!

6. dawnmarch

Yes, I can spot them if I go back later too. For me, I think it's more that I always do the journaling last and at that point, I'm rushing to finish the page!

7. BevG

@dawnmarch - yeah, I just pretended it was one of those artsy text. It was a light grey on a white background.

dawnmarch likes this.
  8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Yeah... there's that too. I always put it off until the very last thing... so like you, I rush through it so I can call it done!

dawnmarch likes this.
  9. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I had to giggle at this...I just had a 12x12 photobook printed and one of my layouts had a huge "Title"/"Subtitle" strip on the layout. I had printed a "print"-ready version of the page too soon, before I had added my title and subtitle, and never noticed until I got the book back from the printers. My kids thought it was hilarious!

And my kids have a lot of fun finding my typos in the journaling. Oh well, at least they are reading!

BevG, dawnmarch and Chippi like this.
  10. dawnmarch

Haha! True!

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

All.The.Time.... and 90% of the time, they stay, lol! I'm too lazy. Sometimes, I will notice when I upload and then go fix... but half the time, people will get the gist of the story.

Oh.... and when you use a template and leave the "Date Goes Here" really adds to my layouts! :giggle Been there, done that, and printed it! HAHA!

dawnmarch and HeatherB like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yep, I've done all of the above! Usually if I catch it while I'm still uploading or shortly after, I will fix it. But if it's later, I just leave it. I don't mind if people point it out to me and sometimes that's the only way I even notice.

dawnmarch likes this.
  13. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Oh yes. My big one is putting the wrong year on my pages. I had one during MOC of the two kids that was dated before Bellamy was born. It wasn't until I uploaded it to facebook and Mum saw it that I went... OH! Haha!!

I am a "Yes, Please Tell Me" kind of person, so if you see a mistake let me know, I don't mind at all!
    Actually, one of my pages recently has a tricky font and the 9 looks like an 8, which is confusing when it is an important date, lol, even my mum commented that I had written the wrong date! I went back and changed the font on the layout for that one, haha!

dawnmarch likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Do you use Photo Shop? If so they do have a spell check .. it is under Edit. Until I found the spell check I had the same issue as you... It made me crazy.. If you catch before printing you may want to fix. Before saving just run spell check :)

dawnmarch likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

this. i didn't realize it was even in there until recently. and now i am so used to not having it (or better - thinking i didn't have it) that it is not a normal part of my workflow. i did use it yesterday on a LO (and was proud of myself for remembering) - trying to be better at using spell check.
    but i always seem to have a lot of typos too. i usually just leave them on my uploads.

dawnmarch and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

@Jenn - Jenn- I too forget sometimes to run the spell check, but recently I have found I do it more since I have issues when I type even in the message boards so I am more aware now :) I don't know if it is because of my nails, the lap top, my age.. LOL any excuse except I spelled it wrong! LOL

-----
    Oh, and I was extremely grateful last week when a dear person PMd me to tell me I needed to correct the comment on someone's page... I wrote crap instead of SCRAP and I am so grateful that I was alerted via PM of my spelling mistake. I laughed as did she and I was hoping I /we were able to catch it before the person who's page it was saw my comment.

17. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

lol ... that is hilarious. i know most of my typos in message boards are due to my too fast typing ... i need to slow down. and then mix the fast typing and maybe transposing two letters ... with the computer spell checker and IT IS a recipe for disaster. (i told this story before - but i told Jenn her "striped" paper was a STUPID paper in a gallery comment once.)

18. cfile

Jenn -I remember that .. stupid is better than Crap though.. LOL :)

19. dawnmarch

Genius! I guess I vaguely knew they had spell check but don't use it. I will now!

cfile and enjoyyourpix like this.
  20. dawnmarch

:hehe

enjoyyourpix likes this.