Ugh! I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Jul 10, 2017.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Sorry. I couldn't think of what else to title this question! :lol And I am going to apologize in advance if any of ya'll work for a time-share company.

My DH spilled the beans that he accidentally answered a spam phone call regarding a timeshare. He said he wasn't thinking because he was at work and just automatically answered his cell. Now, whatever or whoever it was made an impression on him so much that he wants to take me there for my birthday, someplace that he said I'd be thrilled to go.

He won't tell me where.

He knows how much I despise with all of my heart timeshare - or any other - sales pitches if I have to be involved. I do not do them because I know we have no intention of purchasing and my guilt runneth over. And I hate to feel cornered about anything.

But he said this would be worth it. Sigh.

The last time he suckered me into one of these the salesman spent four hours trying to sell us a timeshare when the pitch was to be no longer than two. (Our kids were in the childcare at his office and I was wanting it to be over so I could get them. Ugh.) The only reason I agreed was that it was to Colonial Williamsburg, one of my favorite places in the world. But the spiel was so long that we ended up not having any time to enjoy the historic area. Grrr.

We have no money for any kind of vacation, so this would be his way of bringing me somewhere I've wanted to go. But I do not want to sit through a sales pitch.

What would you do?

jenn mccabe and bbymks5 like this.
  2. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Oh boy, I completely understand.

And I especially love how you phrased this:

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I hate the spill of timeshares because they don't want to listen when you tell them NO. Sounds like he wants to do something special for you but maybe you should tell him special would just be the 2 of you going on a picnic or something like that around you.

If you are not going to enjoy I don't think it will turn out to be a good time for you.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I think I'd go with Debbie's advice. Timeshare pitch on a birthday sounds just terrible, irrespective of how good the place.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

I would just be honest and maybe think of something local just the two of you can do. We got sucked into a time share pitch in Vegas and I legit thought we weren't going to be allowed to leave. I can't imagine that either of you will have a good time, especially for your birthday. Good luck and happy birthday!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I wouldn't go . But if you really do not want to upset hubby by not going, sit through half an hour, then excuse yourself , leave hubby there to hear the spiel while you go see the sights for an hour or so , then go back and pretend it was something you ate.... After that it should be easy for you both to slip completely away. And you don't need to be afraid your "guilt" will be running over , After all you are leaving the person who really wanted to hear the all the details there....

cfile, Sokee, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  7. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I'm with everyone else. If it was me, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. They KNOW people go there without any intention of purchasing. They are prepared for people like you. Fending off a pushy sales team is no way to spend your birthday. You want it to be stress-free and happy...even if it's at home!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

That's a big fat no . . . high pressure sales pitch for my birthday does not sound like a fun time. There is no such thing as FREE. They will make you pay by torturing you - you'll torture yourself leading up to the sales pitch if you're anything like me.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

OMG!!! I'm the same.exact.way. Last year, hubby and I were on a very specific mission at the mall, we round the corner and I see the dreaded timeshare sales guy, I told my husband "DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT with him or anyone else sitting at a kiosk, I don't want to be here ALL night!!!" I start walking past him like my pants are on fire, all of a sudden I hear by husband calling my name, I spun around like the girls head in the Exorcist and say " What are you doing?!!? I told you NOT to talk to him!!! Lets GO!!" He motions me to go over, I angrily walk towards him, grab his hand like a toddler, looked at the guy dead in the eyes and said "NO!! He's not allowed to make decisions; I'm NOT interested!"

It ended up being the father of one of my daughters friends...whooops!!! Needless to say our girls didn't play much after that. In my defense, I had never met him, only my hubby did, and my ding-dong hubby didn't even recognize him because he wasn't in shorts and a t-shirt.

Amson, QuiltyMom, HeatherB and 2 others like this.
  10. bbymks5

But to answer your question...embrace that despise for them, call him up and say "No thank you!!"

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh man! That really sucks. I love the idea about excusing yourself and saying "It was something you ate". That's awesome @Nemla !

Me? I've never been to one. My sister in law and brother go to them all the time. They like the free stuff, and don't care if they have to say No a thousand times. It does not sound fun to me at all!

I might do one if it was in Paris France, and the flight was included...:agree

QuiltyMom and londoncuppa like this.
  12. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Yikes, I run the other way as fast as I could!

I would suggest if he really really really wants to do this tell him you will go BUT YOU WILL NOT sit in on the sales pitch you will be out doing what you want. BUT if you think he might invest in something while your not there (because he can't say NO) I would really try and get him to do something local!

I don't know how these even work as I've never done one.

All I know if there is any store even that they BUG you to help, you know where you see them all circling as you walk up to the door and pounce as soon as you walk in.................. I WALK RIGHT BACK OUT!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm one of those people who can listen to any spiel and still say no! That said we do have and planned to have several weeks of time shares that we have loved, used often and shared with family. We could afford them esp when we bought at pre-construction prices. They are with Marriott a company, as Marylanders ,we knew well. That said, we only had one bad experience with an obnoxious man in Hawaii. Because we have been owners so long, it's very clear that we are not buying any more. They have our history. We state that going in and in every case except Mr. Awful the sales agents just chat with us and give us hints on new places , how to use our weeks etc etc. Nonetheless, my husband says he will not listen to another (1hour) sales talk so "I" lose that 25K+ points. That's one night on the road in many places! :cry

I only can speak for Marriott (and Hilton) but they will not do their sales talk with only one person of a married couple. And quite frankly, I don't think this is any kind of holiday/birthday trip. But he's doing what he's doing out of love so saying no to him can be hard...As so many above have said, talk to your husband again and tell him how much you love him, but you just aren't up for this. (Crying is appropriate here and I suspect it would come quite naturally also...) I also feel that you might actually get sick if forced to do this. My stomach almost clenches just thinking about being put in this kind of position. Say no in a loving way and hold your ground. He will get over it...in time.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I've only heard one of these pitches at a Marriott resort and they were not that pushy, so it wasn't too bad. I'd probably do it again if it were the right property at the right time. That said, you have to be ready to say "no". You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty because you are fulfilling your part of the deal by listening to their pitch. There is absolutely no obligation to sincerely consider or buy what they are selling- you just have to sit through it. I think next time I would bring a timer with me and tell them that I am happy to hear their presentation but I am leaving at the agreed upon time. :D

I probably wouldn't want to do this on my birthday, but maybe if it were a whole weekend and I didn't have to do the presentation on my birthday itself, I'd consider it. But if it's going to ruin your whole birthday, definitely don't do it!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I have no advice to offer but I do have HUGS! I'm with you, I haaaate that pressure and saying no is a huge thing for me. :( I hope things work out for you!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Seriously. Only for that.

Y'all have given me the courage to say no to it. I'd be spending the whole time fuming about all the fun things we could be doing other than being in that sales pitch. I'd much rather stay home and go for a picnic and a movie. It still makes me wonder just what it is if he thinks I'd endure a high pressure pitch when he knows just how much I abhor them.

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  17. bestcee

You have to report back and let us know! I'm curious too!

18. bestcee

Oohhh. Is it the Disney one? Maybe that's it! I wonder if it's worth the pitch....

bbymks5 likes this.
  19. bbymks5

But isn't there always another catch to these things along with wasting hours of your life you'll never get back??

bestcee likes this.
  20. bestcee

I don't know. I always assume so! But I've never done one.