typewriter suggestions anyone?....

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by kaphelps, Sep 20, 2016.

1. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

I have been wanting to purchase a typewriter to use for hybrid projects and to type on journal cards. Does anyone have the We R Memory Keepers typewriter? It's kind of expensive but I do see it go on sale and would consider purchasing anyone could recommend. I also thought about going to my local thrift store to see if I could find a used one at a lower price but not sure if an older model would be hard to maintain with ribbons. Anyway, please give me your thoughts if you've use a typewriter - appreciate any help!

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh how I love the look of a typewriter!! just on a end table! lol they are becoming more rare to find. But what fun it would be. I thought perhaps you could always bevel down on the typed font on a journal card too, if worse came to worse for a typed look. then print?

kaphelps likes this.
  3. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Ok, from what I have seen with the WeR typewriter, I wasn't impressed. Granted these are just pictures on the internet where people have posted. I just think the price point is WAY too high! LOL Maybe I am cheap! And it could be that I am biased because I had just bought the stapler they came out with and the darn thing doesn't work right!

kaphelps likes this.
  4. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Funny you should ask! I was just watching a review on YouTube about it. For me the price point is too high, if you can get it for 1/2 off then maybe. If you go hunting at local shops, take your phone with you. Google the machine you find, and then google the ribbon type. From my understanding, it isn't too difficult to find ribbons that work with typewriters.

bestcee and kaphelps like this.
  5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I'm not sure why an actual typewriter. Seems like a lot of money. Most printers will now take any size card or paper or envelope, why not a worn typewriter font?

scrappycath and kaphelps like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I saw those WRMK typewriters at Michaels recently and thought it was kinda funny they were making them again. I do have an old typewriter that I scored at a garage sale on my road a couple years ago for $7. I was so excited and worried about the ribbons at the same time. I figured for the price it was worth the risk to just buy it. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that Amazon had the ribbons for like $6 and it works perfectly.

I will say that I've seen a number of old typewriters at 2nd hand stores and they are always $50-75+ which is too expensive in my opinion.

7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have my Mom's typewriter. I smile when I take it out. Good luck with your search.

8. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

Thanks @cfile @Karen @Lindzee @mrspotts @KatrinaHunt13 and the fab @AnneofAlamo -really appreciate your ideas & suggestions- and glad to know I'm not alone thinking that price was too much. The good news ....one womans junk is another womans treasure- or something like that?... Ha! I mentioned I was heading to thrift stores and one of my best friends said - I have an old typewriter sitting in our storage room - you can have it! I am going to pick it up next week - she thinks it was purchased in the early 80's so it's not too vintage & says it works! Super excited - thanks again!

bestcee, Karen, cfile and 2 others like this.
  9. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Awesome!!!!!!! That worked out great!

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yay! That is so awesome! Free is the BEST! :)