This aging thing can scoot off!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Justagirl, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

I think we @londoncuppa share a similar sense of humour and yes the love language of late is more about having a laugh at each others expense :) I'm thick skinned even more so now I have barnacles haha

bellbird and londoncuppa like this.
  2. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Bwahahaha...OMG. You are cracking me up, Em! :rofl
    I know it's really late, and I should go to bed when I see this guy and start thinking about barnacle removal. [:]My brain is getting punchy, and I've only had Vitamin Water to drink tonight.

3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I agree that a good sunscreen is the way to go, I should have been using one 20 plus years ago.
    Still getting older is not the worst thing if we have grace and a good sense of humour.
    I will take it over the angst of my 20s anyday.
    We have Avroy Shlain here, a local brand made by South africans for our unique (harsh sunny) climate. I started selling it 21 years ago and still swear by it.
    i want something that will take away the dark hairs shooting forth from my face. What's with that?

Justagirl and londoncuppa like this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am 56 1/2 and really just a soap and water person plus at times a moisturizing cream since I get very dry in the T zone and on my cheeks under the eyes. I have had melanoma 12 years ago so i stay out of the sun as much as possible. Generally now that I am retired, unless I am going out to see a friend or go out on a dinner date with Hubby, I honestly wear hardly any make up anymore.

Re the "barnacle" lol don't worry about the Yucky name they give it, just be glad there is nothing to worry about. :)

I have a few lines and all but with photoshop when you want to scrap a photo you can use a few tools to fix the blemishes :)

Serena and Justagirl like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

ha ha re the sciatica .. mine is left hip and yup the old lady saying cmes out which again, like you Margaret I am fine with. we chuckle as he is 2 years older and he has same back problems. :) We all grow old together :)

bestcee and londoncuppa like this.
  6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

bhahahha, I would have to have it on...I have it, just find don't like wearing it..
    me too! I dyed it for years and years (every color under the sun including blue tips), but now am au natural...love it, the freedom and no skunk cap! bhahha
    this! exactly!
    I have bought pots of things thru the years, I use them 2 or more times and next time I dust my dresser, they get tossed. Soap and water and good sunscreen and hats. My mum lives on the ocean, and her face seriously is like leather. It has been like that for years, she has been using Mary Kay for years...I told her, you are not a good advertisement for Mary Kay anti-aging! lol

bellbird and cfile like this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have used Amway's skin care, twice a day, for over 27 years and it shows. I also like using Alpha Hydroxy serum for the wrinkle areas. My face (chin) will break out if I don't do the twice a day wash, toner, moisturizer. Amway recently upped their prices (to compete in the anti-aging market) but as my hubby says, my face shows the results so go for it.

I only have some grey hair - not sure how that happened. Less stress? I have been a SAHM since the corporate world kicked me out in 2002, so maybe that helped.

My dd, who is just 16, is Chinese and has lovely black hair. However, she has these random all white hairs here and there. They are her built in pixie hairs. So maybe you can think of your grey as highlights?? Or at least that is my line...

8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Lots of smiles from this post! After frying my skin growing up and then in the MidEast, I am super diligent about sunscreen. I don't wear makeup at home, mostly, but only put it on to go out but I do put a moisturizer on in the daytime. I use the Olay Serum in the daytime and the Red Olay"Micro Sculpting' Moisturizer at night. I got them at Costco and like them both a lot - in fact they're on sale this month again, not sure what the price is but I think the two moisturizers lasted me a year if this is a yearly sale.

I have started to take makeup off with baby oil that is apparently emulsified so that it's a lotion. I like that a lot and if I think some makeup might be left - I only use a light makeup and almost no eye makeup any more - I'll use a makeup wipe. Some nights I just add bit of the baby oil and call it a night. My dermatologist is happy with me! She has always said Vaseline is the best moisturizer and my feet get it a lot but I like the soft feel of the Olay on my face.

9. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

That's an odd name for something on a human. I'm sorry they gave it such an awful name!
    Other than washing my face with soap and water and sometimes using SeaBreeze every couple of weeks, I use Rose essential oils from Young Living. Rose is really good for anything skin-related. If you are really dedicated Young Living has a few Rose items for the skin/face, but I stick with the essential oil and put that on my face each night.

Justagirl likes this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have always used a moisturizer and eye cream. But last year I started using a blend of essential oils (recipe on my pinterest board) for my face and neck. A few drops each morning and night has made a difference in my skin tone and softness. I use a day cream with some retin-A in it and an eye cream for puffiness. I try different brands but stick to the mid to higher priced products. I have good skin for 60, not many wrinkles or lines, so I think my regime works for me.

Interesting fact, I had a couple of small skin tags on my neck (they've been there for at least 3-4 years) and when I switched to a really low carb/high fat diet they went away (or fell off, or whatever happened to them but end result is they are gone). Don't know why that happened but not complaining. They were not very big and probably no one had ever noticed them but I sure did. It drove me crazy.

11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Interesting indeed. I have a friend who scrubs them off! :faint2 Yes, I almost faint at the idea even though they can easily be layered off but my insurance doesn't cover that.

Justagirl and bcgal00 like this.
  12. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Yes! This! ;)

For the last year, I have used Rodan & Fields facial products. I have crazy weird skin that is SUPER sensitive, allergic to almost everything & fair. With R&F I have found a skincare line that not only WORKS, but also doesn't cause me to break out, get dry patches or hives! I currently use the Reverse Line, with the Unblemish wash (I was allergic to the umblemish step 2- like hives all over my face for days!!!), Hydrating Serum, Eye Cream & Lashboost. So far so good! ;)

on a side note- my mom has always taken really good care of her skin- and it shows! I haven't always been as good as her- but the last few years I've stepped up my game, so hopefully I can fight that terrible "A" word a bit! ;) ;)

Justagirl likes this.
  13. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

LOL, wait till you get to be my age, the barnacles are everywhere!

patsyt and Justagirl like this.
  14. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Who'd have thunk, hummm! I know they're caused by friction, like your collar or rubbing the towel across your neck when you get out of the shower. I have scads of them. Maybe I should start following your diet instead of paying a dermatologist for removing them every few years.
    One of his assistants told me I could cut off the blood flow to them and they'd fall off, if I'd tie dental floss around them! Who's willing to walk around with dental floss hanging off their visible parts though?

Serena, jenn mccabe and Justagirl like this.
  15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@NancyBeck OMGawd....Nancy....that had me laughing out loud....just picturing dental floss hanging LOL

NancyBeck and londoncuppa like this.
  16. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I'm 51 and noticing more sun damage on my cheeks. So, I've just invested in some more heavy-duty sunscreen. I say "invested" because I hate normal sunscreens so I got Supergoop from Sephora which -- while not the most expensive sunscreen they have -- is way more than I usually spend. I really like it though -- it can be used instead of a moisturizer but is light and smells pretty good. I also recently bought one of those weirdly huge, wide sun visors to wear while hiking. I look ridiculous but here in AZ, you really have to protect yourself from the sun.

bestcee likes this.
  17. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I'm a OLAY girl too- for 39 years!!!

18. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

ROFL this whole thread is hilarious. I'm like @IntenseMagic - pretty much just soap and water....I also stay out of the sun a lot. I'm not a beach person or sun bather, heck I don't even like summer, so I'm usually indoors unless I'm fishing and I drink a TON of water

19. heathert

heathert Well-Known Member

Man, I don't do anything. *lol* I have a ton of "barnacles of life" as my dermatologist calls them. I can't use cream as my skin just hates it, and it's so dry now that I mostly just use water... soap only rarely. I have to use that peppermint soap with a lot of words written on the wrapper, whatever that is... =)

Justagirl likes this.
  20. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Don’t do it @NancyBeck , I did and it got infected. I didnt tie it off hard enough so the blood was still able to travel into it, blerk it was horrendous.

Yes weight loss helps tremendously in limiting skin tags, so Ive been told. That low carb diet probably did help with yours @bcgal00 :)

@LoveItScrapIt you will probably look amazing in your final hours or a mushroom :) only joshing hunnie. I have taken to staying indoors lately but its because its so flippin’ hot here!

@AJK most of you are saying Olay thats fantastic for me I really dont want to spend a bucket load of money on products.

@heathert its SKIN DAISIES hunnie no barnacles in this thread :) snort!

@dawnmarch lol I love the name Supergoop! I just invested in a wide brim hat not much smaller than a sombrero and for a girl who lives on the east coast of Australia, I probably should have done that sooner than now.

@Neverland Scraps ooh thanks for the tip re: essential oils I’ll look into that for sure :)

@amien1 I wished I had started sooner too, I am however blessed like you with some good genes so hopefully I can look 48 when Im 68 thats the life goal haha

@cookingmylife my mum uses vaseline too just around her eyes at night. Ive tried it and felt like my skin couldnt breath where as mum swears by it.

LoveItScrapIt and amien1 like this.