This aging thing can scoot off!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Justagirl, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

So I went to my GP the other day and to be honest I am still getting over the whole experience. She told me that the funny growth I went to see her about which has made a nice little home on my cheek (not the butt variety) is called a Seborrheic Keratoses or as she put it a ‘SKIN BARNACLE’!

I am mortified! What the heck! Why can’t they call these things SKIN DAISIES, I ask you?

What skin regimes/ treatments/ products are you using and maintaining religiously now that you’re a more mature woman?

LoveItScrapIt and londoncuppa like this.
  2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

My skin is so bad, still get pimples at 50 - so annoying. Also have mum's genes so lots of moles and the equally attractively named skin tags (just ewww). I've had heaps cuts out, nothing serious yet...
    I love L'Occitane, it just feels and smells so nice. I love the Divine cream that they give away in tiny pots but it is so expensive, I get the one in the blue pot, still exxy but it's my treat. I am also addicted to their face sprays esp over summer, my skin has improved since using their stuff - mind you I have been ignoring skin care for years before. I also use Olay skin protection moisturizer in the morning, spf 30+, good value and feels nice.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I really have no great advice, but I just wanted to say amen to the naming of things! I mean seriously, there really is no reason to make them more gross than they already are :giggle

I'm 52 and really don't have a skin care regime, I'm just a soap and water gal the majority of the time. I do use Elemis cleansing oil and night cream, but not every night, and I've only been doing that for a couple of months. I probably should have started something a long time ago haha. My biggest issues are lines in the forehead and around the eyes, but they honestly don't bother me much.

I am going to follow this and hopefully pick up some tips!

cfile and londoncuppa like this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I use a heavier moisturiser at night on face and neck than what I use during the day.
    I was badly sunburnt when I was 12 years old so I suspect I will have more and more sunspots appear on my face over the next years.

5. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Funny this was posted - my mature moment happened this weekend when my hubby told me you might need to do something about your hair; it does not look good. Took a good look and realized the grey that I thought was a little looked like a skunk had crawled on top of my head.

So I just got home from the hair salon and all is good.

I have been fairly lucky with my skin and basically use baby wipes to clean in the evenings and then just use tinted moisturizer in the morning before my makeup.

6. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

IMHO nothing beats factor 50 sunscreen during the day and retin A at night! You have to start slowly with the retin A, but it is soooooo worth it. It tamed my awesome perimenopausal acne (thanks hormones - I feel young again!) and really kept the fine lines and wrinkles at bay. It resurfaced my skin too, which was prone to general bumpiness and old acne marks. Anyway, I love it - even though it does make you peel a little at first!

londoncuppa likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Never go to bed with your makeup on! I've drilled this into my two daughters' heads, too. I don't use soap and water on my face either. Been using Pond's Cleansing Cream and Oil of Olay Regenerist for years. Living in Florida, I wear makeup with high SPF anytime I'm going to be outside.

Justagirl likes this.
  8. Justagirl

@KarenW I’m 48 and have oily skin so tend to get pimples too...I feel ya pain. I’ve just been so lucky that they havent scarred my skin but am also a little grateful for the oily skin its kept my face supple and smooth. Olay is pretty darn good for a Supermarket product I have to say and yes those pesky skin tags, I just had a couple removed too OMG blerkkkk
    lol @IntenseMagic lets call all skin issues skin daisies from now on and I will definitely look into a night cream.
    @A-M it seem most of you are using a night cream, I need to research :)
    @rdjrneace thats hilarious, your hubby is game haha I just had the sparkles attended to yesterday, oh what a relief Im feeling so much more uplifted :)
    @Christina W yep the now that ‘Peri' (as we affectionalty call it) has come knocking I am noticing some subtle changes to the texture of my skin, so will research retin A thanks for the tip :)

9. Justagirl

ooh yes @Cherylndesigns even when I am so tired I find I sleep better with a clean face. I might buy a pot of Olay and give that a go plus a retina A aswell and see how those combined work.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  10. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

My night cream is one made here in Australia. I will share the link to the website: https://moogoo.com.au/

Justagirl likes this.
  11. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I swear by Olay Regenerist. I haven't worn makeup in so long I can't handle the feel of anything heavy on my face, and this stuff just feel likes silk. It's what I consider pricey (I'm poor, yo, anything over 5 bucks is pushing into treat territory), but a little goes a very long way. I discovered it when I got a trial sample, and stg that little bit lasted about three months.

And yeah to the naming. One of my chronics is Graves disease, first time I heard it I could only roll my eyes. Like really? I know it's probably after the dr who first presented it (I used to know but I'm too lazy to check) but man that's just not a word I want associated with myself.

londoncuppa and Justagirl like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I use the "red line" now - it's for "mature skin". I've used Olay for years but buy all Regerist products now. I actually get mine at Sam's Club and it's a lot cheaper. They sell two night creams in a package. It's not cheap, but is supposed to be the best "drug store" brand.

13. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@Justagirl Em - I had to laugh because this reminds me so much of a conversation I had with my doctor about 5 years ago. I had this spot on my leg, and I asked him if it was ringworm (it was round...only thing I could think of at the time) or something along those lines. He said no....it's an AGE SPOT! I told my doctor I would rather have had ringworm! Ugh! My hubby, on the other hand, thought it was absolutely HILARIOUS. MEN!

As far as skincare goes, I'm pretty rigorous about it. The worst thing for my skin is the sun, and I avoid it like the plague. I also try not to rub my eyes/face unnecessarily or sleep on my face (no squashed face), which is hard because I'm a side sleeper. Our skin gets thinner as we get older due to a loss of collagen and subcutaneous fat, and I found that rubbing my face is bad.

I'm also a firm believer in high quality skincare products. I know they're expensive, but I view them as an investment in myself (and definitely cheaper than surgery...lol). While grocery store stuff may work great for some people, none of it does anything for me. I have drawers and drawers of these products that ended up being a waste of money. The only drugstore skincare product that works for me is micellar water, which I use to take off my makeup. It's hydrating without being oily and doesn't leave any residue.

For creams/serums, I try to mix it up, so my skin doesn't get "used" to what I'm using. I'm a huge fan of Exuviance products, especially their Age Reverse Eye Contour and Targeted Wrinkle Repair. I have less wrinkles under my eyes & on my forehead at age 45 (almost 46) than I did at 32 because of these products. I also really like Biossance Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel. A little bit of all of these products goes a long way!

A new addition last year to my regimen is a really great serum, VIDI Vitamin C 20% Anti Aging Face Serum, Collagen Booster with Peptides, Vitamin A and E, which has replaced all creams, plus the Vitamin C serum I was using (it used to break me out if I used it too many days in a row). This is a nutrient powerhouse and isn't pricey at all! I have it & the micellar water on Subscribe & Save with Amazon.

Here are some links if anyone is interested (they go from most expensive to cheapest):

Christina W and Justagirl like this.
  14. londoncuppa

Amen, Cheryl!

15. londoncuppa

I loveeee all of their hand creams; especially the peony and rose scents. They are fantastic (also make great stocking stuffers...bought some for DDs one Christmas)!

16. londoncuppa

Hahaha...don't feel bad. I've had grey hair since I was 21. Thank goodness for hair dye! I'm going into old age kicking & screaming!! :D

17. Justagirl

oh really? I like to buy Aussie Made where possible great name too Moo Goo haha, thanks heaps Anne-Marie I’ll look into that one x :)

18. Justagirl

@blueberries OMG thank you for the giggle not about Graves Desease but obviously about your concern re: the name just too funny, we have to keep our humour dont we... SNORT!

Thank you for the extra info on your faves @Cherylndesigns you're a sweetie x

OMG I hear you about the age spot @londoncuppa , just too funny about hubby thinking it was hilarious.
    Here is a little funny for you...I just got off the phone with my husband (he’s a driller so works away 2weeks every month) Anyways he casually asks me how the last couple of days has been, I told him all the usual stuff and informed him of my dreaded face barnacle. There was silence from his end and I thought flip, after all these years I have turned him off. Then I heard this giggle and he simply said Happy Valentines my love...I love you and your Barnacle! We sure did have a good laugh but I just realised we no longer partake in the sexy Valentines conversations, now its all about my barnacles & his sore hip!

Juliestcyr, bestcee and amien1 like this.
  19. Justagirl

@A-M MooGoo is stocked everywhere, OMG I had no idea. My neighbour owns the local chemist I’ll scoot down there tomorrow and see if they have some samples. I see on the MooGoo website they do everything from Pet products to Haircare wow!

bellbird likes this.
  20. londoncuppa

Awe....how sweet! You know that from now on, "barnacles" is going to be a regular part of your marriage vernacular...lol. I think it's cute, but I've got a weird sense of humor. :agree

I've got sciatica on my right hip and when I change positions in bed (i.e. flip over), my husband asks me if my "old lady hip" is bothering me. I just tell him, "Of course it is, old man" (he's almost 10 years older than me). Playful insults is our love language. :D