The mysterious (and annoying) "white box" in PSE....

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by ElizabethW, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ElizabethW

ElizabethW Pledging to lambda lambda polly

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Sometimes, I'm just scrapping merrily along, and if I resize or change an element, a white box shows up around it - almost like that layer loses its transparency or something. I can fix it by undoing and then simplifying the layer, but I wish I understood why it happens when it does!

Any ideas?

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I had this with PSCC for awhile - but it was an older version (about a year ago or so). It drove me nuts. I think an update must of fixed the problem bc I haven't seen it for a long time. Knock on Wood.

Sorry you are experiencing that. Maybe try googling your version PSE and see what others are saying about it? I hope you get a fix soon!

ElizabethW likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@ElizabethW What version of PSE are you using? Are you dragging the PNG into the work bin at the bottom and then pulling it up onto your canvas or are you using floating windows and then dragging over? I suspect this is a smart object issue . . .

4. ElizabethW

ElizabethW Pledging to lambda lambda polly

@gonewiththewind, I am using PSE 13...I had not noticed a difference between pulling up from the work bin vs floating windows - I will experiment with that today! Thanks so much! Do I want my PNGs to be smart objects before resizing, etc...? Is that different from "simplify layer"? Sounds like I have some Googling to do....

All these years using PSE and sometimes I still feel like I barely know what I am doing!

bestcee likes this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Yes, Im' almost sure it's a smart object issue and I have had it in PSE13. I had it a lot with another designer's .png s. I think I found that if I edited it before I added it to my layout it helped or maybe it was making it a smart object...I only know it drove me nuts when I suddenly had that white box. I believe I had it happen with some of Paislee? Amber? pngs. Oh another thing that came up once was the...and sorry, I can't think of what it was but it had to do with the color depth (?) # and I would be asked if I wanted it converted to the other number. I know that makes no sense unless you know what I mean!

ElizabethW likes this.