The Handmaid's Tale -- SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LeeAndra, Jul 19, 2017.

1. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Can we discuss this show, please?! I binge watched the whole thing this past weekend and I can't. stop. thinking. about it.

Srsly.

I keep putting myself in June's place. What would I do? What would I say? How would I keep sane? Would I make the same choices she made?

WHAT WILL SEASON 2 BE LIKE AND WHY IS 2018 SO FAR AWAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Juliestcyr likes this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Have you seen the original movie or read the book? I am just wondering how closely they are following it -- or is it simply a copy of the general story line?

3. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I wanted to like this show...but I don't know if it was just too noisy in the house for me to concentrate or what, but I never could make it past the second episode :( I'm thinking I should read the book first and attempt again.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

They are following the book very closely. But they are also telling you what the characters have been thinking and what was happening prior to Gilead. The book ended when June/Offred was being taken away.

This has to be the most frightening show that I have ever watch, and more so with all the political unrest lately. And how it seems the people in DC want to take away women's rights.

janedee likes this.
  5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Yes, read the book first.

jenn mccabe, Juliestcyr and bbymks5 like this.
  6. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm going to see if they have it at the library tomorrow and if it's not in place a hold on it. Everyone's talking about it.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I just started it tonight and boy it seems good. I kind of think I read it years ago but fortunately don't remember! I'm going to do it my fave way of one or two episodes a night.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I keep meaning to start watching and then get sidetracked. I may try to start watching an episode here and there while I'm scrapping.

9. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I absolutely love the book, and the show, and think everyone should watch it. I think, @LeeAndra, when I read the book in 1999-ish, I probably was like you, and tried to imagine what I would have done if I were a handmaiden, like June.

But, watching the show now, what I keep thinking is that I could never be June. In 2014 I had a hysterectomy because of a giant fibroid (lots of women have them, but mine grew to the size of a cantaloupe.) I had probably been infertile for at least a year or two before, as the fibroid was growing. I keep on thinking about how I would have ended up as a 30-year old Martha. The Marthas in the book are all older and unhappy, small-minded women. I have a hard time seeing myself as one of them. But that is probably the best outcome I could have had in Gilead, if I'd somehow survived the revolution.

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I read the book in the last year. I'm on the fence currently. I'm only 2 episodes in, but see below about a plot point that is bugging me.

I'm only 2 episodes in. But can I tell you how much I was bothered by the first episode and the Salvaging. It did not endear June to me. I'm waiting to see what the next few bring, but I feel like an important plot point was missed.

Or you would have been sent to the Colonies.

11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I loved this series, as horrifying as it is, and cannot wait until Season 2. I did not read the book (but have it on hold at my library ... waiting for my # to be called) so had no idea what to expect when I started the series. I had to watch episode 1 and 2 twice ... and you do have to pay close attention or you will miss things/not understand what is happening - if you didn't read the book first.

12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just put the book on hold at the library. I'm 5th in line.

13. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I'm only 2 episodes in. But can I tell you how much I was bothered by the first episode and the Salvaging. It did not endear June to me. I'm waiting to see what the next few bring, but I feel like an important plot point was missed.

In the book, this was called a "Particulation" not a "Salvaging". I agree that watching it, you want to yell, "Offred! What are you doing!" (The book actually never called her June. But you could figure out she was June by following some hints.) But,
    it's kill or be killed. And, if Offred disobeyed, the guy would die anyways. But you watch all the suffering spill over and turn into anger (but directed at someone who doesn't deserve it) and ... like I said, hard to watch.

Or you would have been sent to the Colonies.[/QUOTE]
    ... I suspect I would die for the revolution. I would join the resistance, but I'm no good at being subtle and sneaky, so I'd probably just be dead.

bestcee likes this.
  14. bestcee

I heard both in the show, and thought they used both in the book?
    What bugged me was the non discussion with offglen. In the book, that was so important!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Okay, so I have to confess that since I didn't read the book, I did not understand that Offred was Of Fred and Ofglen was Of Glen since they were pronouncing it 'off' instead of 'of' until they said some other name (Ofdaniel, maybe?) and then I was like, 'Ohhhh.'

Of course they explained it in a later episode but I did feel pretty dumb. :blush

Juliestcyr likes this.
  16. jenn mccabe

it took me a long time to piece most of season one together. this did not sink in for me either until a few episodes in. heck i'm still confused ... :giggle

17. jenn mccabe

@LeeAndra are you going to read the book while waiting for 2018 to arrive?

18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

@jenn mccabe, I probably will. That's months and months away. I don't think I could rewatch the whole thing but reading it would be a good way to 'scratch the itch' until 2018.

20. bestcee