The first real test begins...

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Mar 15, 2017.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Okay... I've mentioned that my project life plan this year was to do my pages as a continuous stream of days. So far I'm really loving this plan, my pages come together quickly and I'm never worried about having too few or too many photos... BUT things are about to get complicated. Starting tomorrow our house will have a revolving door of people going in and out on trips (and no two people are going on the same trip). Clara leaves tomorrow for Disney World (back Sunday), my husband leaves on Tuesday and doesn't return until 4/8 (London, Singapore, Dubai and India), Alex leaves 4/7-12 to visit my parents in MO and Clara leaves 4/13-22 for Guatemala (and there's a chance that I'll go to MO to visit my parents during this week).

I'm not entirely sure how to handle these trips with my timeline type of format. With my weekly format, I would just stick a spread or two in after that week. Now that I don't have weekly spreads, so I'm not sure where they will go. The woman whose blog I read to get this timeline idea is single... so all of her trips just flow with her regular pages. She'll wrap up a spread with the day before the trip and then starts the trip section. So here are a couple ideas I came up with...

1. Do a two page spread per day... one side is what's happening at home and the other is what's going on with whoever is on a trip. The downside to this is having enough photos (especially on the home side... and my husband's business travel). This would get most solo trip photos into an album and I would still do separate trip albums for big trips.

2. Just include a photo or two a day from the traveler in my regular timeline format. I usually do a separate trip album for big trips so some of the extra photos will end up in books. But I usually don't make albums for small trips or my husband's work travel. So, given the dilemmas this year and the large amount of solo travel... do I make a big 2017 travel album with all trips (big and small) in one book?

And after that I've got nothing. Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Mylinn likes this.
  2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I can see your problem. I am a compulsive chronological scrapper and had to add a (very late) pic from Sunday to the following week (our week starts Monday) and almost had conniptions.

I like your number 2 best. One or two photos of each trip in the timeline where it fits and then a big travel album with everybody's photos.

OR: do your timeline with your own as the main timeline and then on the 13th you add an "extra" in between with "Now: Clara's Disney trip." "Now: husband's trip", "Now: Alexa's trip" and then again regular timeline until the 22. The another insert "Now: Clara's Guatemala trip". That way you would have everything in one album with at least the resemblance of chronological order. But if you do a travel album anyway, I'd go with nr. 2.

tkradtke likes this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I also like #2. If you get more photos from each of the travelers then you can make a layout each or add that into the travel album. I would be scared that I didn't get enough photos or equal numbers of photos from my peeps.
    I justified mine by calling it Project my life in my head and make it all about me and mine, with extras about the rest of the family as seen through my eyes.

tkradtke likes this.
  4. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

It kind of depends on how many photos you get, right? My hubby hardly takes any photos while my daughter takes tons. My son takes them but then refuses to provide them to me. :D So, I think I would go with a hybrid of the 2 you suggested -- add one or two photos as you get them to your regular format and then if they come back with lots more photos, just insert a 2 page spread (or a few 2 page spreads) in between your regular pages. [I see, in re-reading the responses -- that this is very similar to Rikki's suggestion.] I probably wouldn't do individual albums unless the whole family went on a trip together but I'm lazy that way. :D

tkradtke likes this.
  5. tkradtke

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll go with option #2. I'm really liking the flow of my album this year, so I would hate to disrupt it much. I did like having everything in one album before, but I never liked the way it looked. My albums felt a bit jumbled.

I think this will work. I like working current, so I should be able to keep my PL pages moving if I only need a photo or two to complete my weeks. I'm actually excited about a separate travel album with all of our trips in it! This is our first year with so many solo trips, it'll be cool to see them all in one book.

I should do that too!! I title my books grand "family" names... but it's really all about me with extras about the rest of the people who live here :-)

Yeah... that will be hit or miss. Clara should have quite a few from Disney World as her teacher purchased a photo pass for the group, plus whatever she and her friends take. BUT... the question is, how long will it take to get those photos. I hate holding up my PL pages waiting for photos that may or may not come. As for my husband, he's great about taking lots of photos for me when he travels internationally... however, some days just won't be photo worthy (meetings, traveling, etc.). My son takes no photos but he'll be visiting my parents and my dad takes tons (and adds them to our shared iCloud album). I'll add what I have at the time to my PL pages and include the rest in one big collective 2017 travel album. I think if I do this right, the pages for individual trips could be printed in smaller books - so I could print Clara a book of just her Guatemala trip photos without doubling up the work.

Karen likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I loved #1. I'm totally the oddball. I love the idea of doing a Home Side and an Away side. Although, I may be tempted to just do an "away" line (Like the bottom 1/3 on the right hand page) with a photo, and an itinerary.

I had to laugh when I read your first paragraph. I've been doing logic puzzles (the grid ones), and I was mentally trying to solve who would still be at home.

tkradtke likes this.
  7. tkradtke

Nope! Not an oddball! I like choice #1 and it would probably be my preference in a perfect world. I'm just not sure I'm going to consistently have the photos to pull it off. And that makes keeping up on PL more stressful than I want it to be. Also, I will admit that I would like to go all out with the theme kits on the travel pages (Project Mouse!!) and if I include all of the photos in my PL book, I can't go as all out as I would like to and stay consistent with the look of this year's book.

Seriously... it is like a logic puzzle figuring out where everyone is going to be! Jeff just asked me to go to London with him next week, but my passport is too close to expiring... boo! Side note... I used to love doing those logic puzzles... where did you get yours?

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Android. I have 2 apps. (Yep, a little addicted! Plus each one had a free section.) Logic Puzzles by Egghead Games with a photo of an aviator. Quick Logic Puzzles - Free Daily one every day, also by Egghead Games but the photo is of a grid being filled in. And I've also used Logic Problems/ by Egghead Games with the photo being the grid and the title. I did all the free ones on that one, so it's not currently loaded.

9. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

See, I would have gone with option #3 - Do your timeline photos for that week, and then do a timeline immediately after to showcase whichever trip took place that week... that way the timeline continues, the trip falls basically in step with the week when it happened, but all the trip photos are together to tell a congruous story. I would just use a card or something to identify the start of the trip photos.

I do love the idea of a separate trip album. I just know, for me, those are super unrealistic and just never get done. they never feel like they're immediately necessary to do, so I know I can 'get to it later.' :giggle

tkradtke likes this.
  10. tkradtke

See... my family is so inconsiderate... no one actually takes their trips during a "week"... they always overlap weeks :giggle

Previously this would have been my fear... but I had been scrapping them as separate events in my past PL books anyway and I've been having fun doing trip pages for the monthly challenges here, so I think I'll be okay. Getting the trip pages done were what bogged down my PL process before, so I'm hoping that by doing them separately I can stay on track with PL. The downside is getting way behind on my trip pages and never actually printing that album... but it'll give me pages to do for MOC next year, right? :giggle

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm still trying to imagine a world in which people in my family would be traveling to Disney World, Guatemala, London, Singapore, Dubai, & India in the same lifetime let alone within the span of one month!

tkradtke, Karen and RebeccaH like this.
  12. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

:giggle SOOOO true!!
    I was reading back through all of the trips... Clara is going to be exhausted when she gets back!! And @tkradtke where's YOUR trip?!!

tkradtke likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

tkradtke and Juliestcyr like this.
  14. tkradtke

Clara's travel is a bit of a fluke... she was invited to go on both of her trips through organizations at school. My husbands travel is always insane like this... especially since he's been put in charge of their international operations. This is the first time in a long time that'll he'll be gone this long though.

Clara just doesn't stop. She's not happy unless she's constantly in motion... wears me out.

As for me, I'm hoping to use some of our accumulated miles to make the Philadelphia TLP meet-up and Clara and I are planning a mother daughter trip for June (she's out of school three weeks before her brother). Last year we went to Disneyland, thinking NYC this year. Oh.. and my mom wants me to come down while Clara is Guatemala... but I'm semi avoiding it. They recently cleaned out my grandmother's house when she went to assisted living and my mom wants me to come down and pick what I want. They already brought me a carload of her stuff at Christmas, I'm not sure I need anything more.

I need a travel buddy!!

Karen likes this.
  15. tkradtke

So it's a good thing I thought this through ahead of time and made all of these plans :stars

Actually it is even though I'm changing things up already. I'm still going to include a few photos a day from the trips into my regular timeline. That was the right choice, especially for Clara's Disney trip. She took very few photos herself and instead relied heavily on the photo pass photographers. As of today, her teacher has not provided us with these photos yet. So I'm able to move on with PL using the few she took (she actually took a ton one day and I was really excited... but it turns out they did a photo scavenger hunt throughout Hollywood Studios, so it's a bunch of photos of them pointing at things).

My husband is currently on his trip and is doing really well with sending me 3-5 photos a day. I will include those in my regular timeline as well.

The big change has been in what I'm planning to do with the rest of the photos. I'm not doing one big trip album any longer. I'll do smaller albums for individual trips... like Clara's Disney World one and Guatemala. Jeff's trip just doesn't have the number of photos to warrant it being scrapped separately. 3-5 photos a day is a manageable amount to add to my regular PL plus I have found myself taking very few photos since he's been gone.

So that's where I am at the moment. Things may change with future trips... but right now, I'm really liking keeping my PL pages simple!

mixedclawzz likes this.