The Circle

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bestcee, Mar 18, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, I went to a movie today, and saw a preview for "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. It looked intriguing, and of course, is based off a book.

So, has anyone read it? Is it good? Bad?

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

We read it here as a Book Club pick! Last year i think... let me go dig up the thread link...

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Here it is - i think we juggled a few books over the space of a few months and this was one of them
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/the-circle-paperback-by-dave-eggers.42688/

(oh and yeah i loved it - it was my kind of 'scary' (ie. no psycho zombies with chainsaws or whatever) and thought provoking - i'l have to google and find the preview after i actually scrap something ...sensing a rabbit hole coming up

bestcee likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I read The Circle last year. It was very interesting! And shocking. And disappointing. Here's my review on Goodreads, but it might vaguely have spoilers (depending on how sensitive you are to spoilers). I'd be interested to see the movie when it comes out on Netflix.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  5. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I really enjoyed the book, but the movie looks SO different than how I imagined everything.. I want to see it just because I read the book, but I also don't want to because I'm anxious to have "my" world disrupted..

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  6. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I enjoyed the concepts in the book more than I enjoyed the actual story and writing which seemed a little unrealistic/simplistic to me. So, interesting ideas, poorly executed.

Karen likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have this book on my to-read list... so I'm curious how people like it.

@bestcee did you like the movie?

8. bestcee

I always feel this way about book worlds!

Well, the movie I saw was Kong Skull Island, and I did like it. It was very visually beautiful. The preview for The Circle looks interesting, but I want to read the book first!

9. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

it was definitely somewhat disturbing in a I can see society falling in that direction way. Definitely worth a read. I'll check out the movie too. I found myself getting mad at the characters, but that was definitely the author's intent ...

10. Karen

Reading for comprehension is hard. Lol! I thought you already saw the movie The Circle. Lol. Glad to know the new Kong is good too though. My boys want to see it. Eek!

11. bestcee

There is violent deaths. But to me they were so obviously make believe. I don't remember any swearing above sh** though.

Karen likes this.
  12. Karen

I will definitely be watching the Kong movie before letting my boys watch it. The almost 13 year old will probably be okay, the 10 year old... no way.

bestcee likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I remember the book and I'd watch it via Netflix or Redbox but not for big money.

bestcee likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

so i only just saw the preview (and then watched a bunch of other book to movie previews #rabbithole - some big name actors (i <3 tom!) so i hope the movie lives up to the book

15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Oh, thanks for the heads up ... I read the book a while back ... definitely thought-provoking, weird, interesting, etc ... so I'll be checking out the movie ... out of curiosity mostly.

16. jenn33199

jenn33199 Just point me to the low-carb brownies!

Thought provoking - yes. Aspects of it that could be (or come) true? Yes. The rest was just too far-fetched for me to love. It almost seemed like an allegorical tale.

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

I'm horrible at getting side tracked. I just started reading it. I do have to say the first bit {I don't consider it a spoiler, because it's the first 20 pages or so} where it talks about having one online profile for everything? Kinda cool idea, but not something I would ever want! Not that I have anything to hide, but I'd rather not have every site I touch know everything about me, and my family.

18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@bestcee ...They already have this info and it's stored in Utah. I just saw the preview the other night and from that bit I'd say it comes across as more believable than the book made it out to be. Or maybe Tom Hanks is just believable!

bestcee likes this.