texture

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Angela Toucan, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I got a pile of new embossing folders today from the cyber monday sales - itching to play with them but got to collect the youngest from school shortly. ... they better go to bed without messing about tonight.

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

oh, have fun Angela. Always a treat to get to play with new crafty goodies! I hope you are knee deep in embossing right about now! :)

Angela Toucan and londoncuppa like this.
  3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@Angela Toucan Aren't embossing folders fantastic? I don't think I've met one yet that hasn't said, "Take me home!"

Lately, I've been loving using them to texture card bases and then use the various TLP kits to build the remaining parts of the card. Our designers have styles in such a broad range that they cover every type of scrapper and card. So fun!

I keep going back and forth on whether or not to just save everything (except December Daily) until MOC or not. I don't want to...I'm itching to scrap 24/7, but the "logical" side of me says to prep for MOC.

The great thing about MOC is often we are allowed to make cards (I made an ATC for my very first MOC "layout"). Break out the embossing folders!!
    :dancebun

bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I own a lot of embossing folders but do not use them much. I should dust them off and start using them.

5. londoncuppa

Definitely, Anne-Marie! Go for it. I'd love to see what you create!

6. Angela Toucan

7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I don't do hybrid so would someone explain what you do with these?

8. Angela Toucan

It's a paper crafting tool. I have a cuttlebug (there are other machines on the market) that does embossing and die cutting. Embossing folders go through the machine with card stock or paper or foil etc etc in the middle of the folder. It embosses a texture or image onto the card (or other )

wvsandy likes this.
  9. londoncuppa

That's a great texture, Angela. Love your coloring. Did you use distress markers, watercolors or something else? It would be great with the tropical kits that came out this summer.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

oh that's so pretty! what did you use to color it? chalk, watercolor? i LOVE your end result!

11. jenn mccabe

lol ... we were both wondering the same thing at the same time! :giggle:beat

Angela Toucan and londoncuppa like this.
  12. Angela Toucan

It's water colour mixed with glycerine and applied with an ink applicator.

londoncuppa and jenn mccabe like this.
  13. londoncuppa

Sandy, here are some videos to show you. I have a Sizzix Big Shot. You can paint them, add ink to the raised areas or create letterpress effects instead. You can also use cutting dies to create a similar effect. They're addictive!

14. londoncuppa

Very nice. It looks great!

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's gorgeous! I love the leaves! And now I want to dig out my embossing thing.

16. londoncuppa

If anyone is new to this and wondering, you can use TLP digital kits to either embellish embossed plain cardstock bases, or you can print out digital papers from the kits and use them in the embossing folders.

If you do the latter, I would print on thicker cardstock (but not too thick unless you're going for a letterpress effect) before embossing. Papers with smaller patterns seem to work better (IMHO).

If you're not into making cards, you can always cut your embossed paper into tags, frames or make them a "layering" layer for your layout. They're a great size for DYD and PL too.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I love embossing with the folders on my hybrid cards. I haven't made any lately but I've been thinking about it. I hope to make a few Xmas cards so will be getting out the folders and some stamps to play with.

londoncuppa and Angela Toucan like this.
  18. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Wow @londoncuppa there is a whole world out there that I knew nothing about! Thanks for the links.

19. londoncuppa

You're so welcome, Sandy. I'm a geek for hybrid and try to spread the word that there are both of these fantastic worlds of goodies to play with. No limits!

We're so lucky at The Pad to have some fantastic designers who design both. I get sooo excited when I see a digital line and paper line that go together. I feel like we have real papercrafting/memory keeping rockstars in our midst!!

We even have designers who've designed real rubber stamps and some kits for several clubs I belong to. Yay!! I keep trying to convert strictly-paper scrappers I know to come here because they too don't know what they're missing.

Laura has curated an amazing group of designers, both in their talent and their character. I'm so glad I found this store when I first started buying digi products back in March 2013!

KatrinaHunt13 and Angela Toucan like this.
  20. londoncuppa

I would love to see some of your past cards, Rae. Do you have any pics you could share?

I'm thinking about trying my hand at making my own Christmas cards this year (if I can make the time). I've never done it before, but I've been overloading on Jennifer McGuire's YouTube channel, and she's so inspiring.