Technique Slow Scrap | 04.21.2017 INSTRUCTIONS

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Apr 21, 2017.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Hello! Welcome to another technique slow scrap. Today we are going to talk about using the hue/saturation technique to 1. adjust photos, 2. change the color of an element, and 3. change a specific color within a multi-colored paper/element

Adjusting the hue/saturation may be my absolute favorite way to change the color of images in Photoshop. It's so easy and so fast! I use this technique for a lot of my photos, elements, and papers that I and want to change the colors of when things don't quite match up color-wise.

I adjust the hue/saturation to add color to an otherwise dull background, change the color or a bow to match the clothing, change the color of an element that might be slightly different from the colors in my photos, and even to change an entire color of a background paper.

Here is how to change the color of your artwork using the hue/saturation technique in Photoshop.

The hue/saturation adjustment layer is located in the adjustments pop-up menu at the bottom of the layers pallet - looks like a circle, filled half white, half black (or click image -> adjustments -> hue/saturation).

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.09.59 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

1- PHOTOS
    One of the easiest ways to "fix" a photo, especially an indoor photo where the lighting is horrible and the colors have come out wonky, is a quick hue/saturation adjustment. I purposely choose a horrible photo for the example and one that I didn't expect to be awesome, but still scrap-worthy. With one quick adjustment I've at least made the skin-tones not green.
    1. Add a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer.
    2. Adjust the sliders until you get your desired look.
    Here, I added a hue/saturation adjustment layer and slid the hue slider until it looked better to me. I did this for the overall photo (Master channel).

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.23.05 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

Soooo...other ways to adjust photos using the hue/saturation adjustment????
    1- Desaturate (or lower the saturation for a vintage feel)
    2- Add a pop of color to a dull background
    3- Tone down a super bright photo from outside where the bright greens might be overwhelming

2- ELEMENTS
    Do you have the PERFECT photo and the PERFECT kit, but the colors clash? No problem! Use a hue/saturation adjustment layer to change the color of an element.

Again, I added a hue/saturation adjustment layer and adjusted the hue slider and the saturation slider until the color was what I desired. I did this for the overall element (Master channel). This way also keeps all the shadows and tonal variations.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.09.42 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

3- SPECIFIC COLORS
    So now you're thinking "Ok, great, but what do I do when the element or background paper has multiple colors and I only want to change one?" Easy peasy! Only 1 step more needed.
    1. Add a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer.
    2. Click on the index finger pointer in the Properties Box.
    3. Move your cursor into your image and click on the color you would like to change.
    4. Adjust the sliders until you get your desired look.
    [​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.10.46 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

Here, I added a hue/saturation adjustment layer and clicked on the index finger pointer and clicked on the blue to ONLY change the blue to pink. Notice that the original yellows and pink did not change.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.12.10 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

A GREAT question was asked in the chat: "Can you change the color of the flower while it's on your layout?" (Thank you for asking Barbara)

YES YOU CAN! You just need to clip the adjustment layer to the element - layer - > create clipping mask (CTR-G). IN PSE you must go to Enhance, Adjust Color, Replace Color (Thank you Maureen for letting me know the PSE equivalent)

SLOW SCRAP INSTRUCTIONS
    For today's scrap, I'd like you to create a layout using THREE examples of the hue/saturation technique to adjust colors. Any 3 examples works, they don't have to be 1 from each category but please mention the 3 examples you used when you post your LO here. That's the only requirement on your layout, but of course, as always....please participate in the discussion and make a LO you love!

This is a slow scrap so you have 24 hours to complete your LO. You must have your page posted here by: 1pm EDT- April 22, 2017 to qualify! Please remember that your layout must comply with our gallery rule of 50% TLP products. I will be PMing the eligible scrappers their participation prize from this thread. I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

londoncuppa and cfile like this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Love this technique.
    1. on my photo to reduce most of the color to match the kit better
    2. on the flower stickers to make them green
    3. on the butterflies to make them green

[​IMG]

3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, I love doing this! It's also very easy to do in Artisan/SBC for everyone with those programs. I'm off to do something for you!

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recoloured (hue saturation) the bow on the title card to more closely match her shirt.
    I recoloured (hue saturation) the button in the black flower.
    I desaturated the bright yellow bunny element to blend in a touch more.
    I also tweaked the I heart you sticker's colours.

Thanks for a great chat, with awesome tips.

mcurtt likes this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

This is one scrapbook page that is NOT going on FB. I would hate for my fussy sister in law to be hurt by it. I know my sister in law on the right would laugh out loud...as we have over the years...with 'that look'.

[​IMG]

1. changed the background color of the flowered paper
    2. added more saturation for an old photo (40+yrs ago!)
    3. added more saturation for the circle element

Joan K likes this.
  6. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Sorry, I had to go in the middle of it all and when I cam back, I was all alone, :-)

I hope I can get a page done though.

7. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fun chat and all the tutorials. And yes, clipping the adjustment layer to what you are trying to
    change makes all the difference! lol (I use PSE11, right click/alt/ arrow down)
    I redid the butterfly to make it more colorful, changed the photo, and changed the color of the arrows on the Adventure
    word art.

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  8. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the great tutorial. I was so excited whren I saw your little finger when recoloring an element. Sadly, my PS CS is so old it doesn't have the finger. I did find by doing an add to magic wand on my green element and then doing a hue saturation I was able to change the green to brown on the A Special Treat tag. I also did a hue saturation on the hand written recipe. Finally, I did the hue plus saturation and lightness on the background to warm it. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  9. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Here is mine!
    Techique used on the Alpha, tab, and red paper. All which were on the pink side. I changed to make them to make them match the peeps in the pictures. I also did one more, and changed the green nope flair to red.

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  10. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thanks for the instructions! I forgot the chat...
    [​IMG]

I've used hue/saturation adjustments to recolor:
    - the paper trim on top of the photo (it was green),
    - the pom pom trim under the title (it was blue),
    - the stripped paper mat (it was green).
    - part of the bg paper (the third -from the bottom- stripe was originally green).
    Full credits in gallery.

mcurtt and BevG like this.
  11. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I changed the hue/sat of all the photos because underwater photos are always really muddy and dully SOOC. I also changed the color of the background from a blue tone to a green tone.

[​IMG]

mcurtt, BevG and ljonezy like this.
  12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is mine, all using Hue/Saturation:
    Modified herringbone paint color.
    Altered background paper color.
    Desaturated banner.

[​IMG]

13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I attached hue saturation layers to the photos I turned black and white.
    I did the same to change the C to red.
    I also changed the heart from orange to red.

I failed to figure out the pointer finger thing. I'll have to try again another time when I'm not tired.

Also I don't understand the purpose of using the hue saturation layer instead of just hitting Command-U and changing hue and/or saturation there as I've been doing for years. What's the difference?

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

This looks awesome.. I love hue sat adjustments.. I use them all the time.. sorry I missed this yesterday.. suffering migraine and still today, but yesterday I was so bad... second day in a row no coffee... I am not feeling great for sure. Will get back to this once headache subsides. all the pages so far look terrific!

15. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Selective recolouring of the patterned paper at the left (it had a lot of the jade colour in it and I replaced with more coral).
    Adjustment colour, contrast, hue, saturation layers used on the photos (took minutes apart but for some reason the colours between them was quite different).
    Adjusted hue on the butterlies for a more coral than orange tone.
    Adjusted hue on the relax word art (originally grey)
    Added a solid colour adjustement layer and altered blend mode to recolour grey flower to coral (bottom right).
    I also adjusted a little some of the paints and the button card with selective hue/saturation.

16. jwalls39

jwalls39 Well-Known Member

Here's mine!

Changed the hue/saturation of the paper to bring out the turquoise and magenta of the photo
    Used pointer technique to change polka dot paper from orange to magenta
    Changed the red paint to magenta and the yellow paint to greenish to match the glasses
    Changed the colors of the flowers to match the magenta, turquoise, and teal of the photo
    Changed the paint accent behind the photo to match the hat

[​IMG]

17. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for helping me learn new things! I've started a page but it's taking longer than planned. I'll post it when I'm finished.

UPDATE: Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    1. I adjusted the photo lightness before making it grayscale.
    2. I changed the outside of the paper flower from purple to gray and the inside star on the flower from yellow to blue.
    3. I changed a specific color within a multi-colored paper (the dark blue stars on the background paper were yellow).

Thanks again for helping me learn new tricks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@michelepixels There are almost always at least three ways of doing the same thing in Adobe products...ditto Microsoft stuff too. I'm so glad you mentioned CMD-U because normally using the keyboard shortcut keys are my favorite way since my fingers are usually on the keyboard. Somehow I'd forgotten this one. Now I just have to try to remember.

However, there are lots of people who don't like the shortcut keys...not sure why?

michelepixels likes this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Late to the party but wanted to play... Hue adjusments on elements papers and word art with blending on photo.[​IMG]

jwalls39 likes this.
  20. ljonezy

ljonezy The thingamabob that does the job is chocolate

Fabulous page I love this

mcurtt likes this.