Talk to me about "success"

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

What someone else may look at as sacrifice or settling for less is not important to me.
    I have a BA in Urban Economics from a great University in Pittsburgh, then I learned Accounting to get a job
    - After marriage DH and I took a decision that I would stay home with children (voluntary by me - no sexism - I totally wanted it to be me with my children.) and I loved that job most of all.
    For over ten years while they came of age to be in school or supervised after school by some home help I did the whole thing and loved it - chauffer, team mom, lunch mom, supervisor for field trips, kids at my house on a rainy day - whatever. This was my favorite job ever!
    As money for the things we envisioned for ourselves and our children became more scarce, and as I questioned my contribution, and the children grew to need me somewhat less, I taught myself programming and went into IT.
    My IT job pays extremely well and I do love it. The feeling of success and that I am good at "smart" stuff is great. - but honestly, I do not desire whatever someone else or western society defines as successful.
    I am successful. I know this. My children are grown men with good jobs they enjoy. They do not have it all easy but they know how to work it out, or ask for help - they know how to go forward and make decisions on their own. We have grown as a close family - don't interfere, but be there if you are asked. I think I am probably consigliere at this point.
    My next most rewarding job I am looking forward to will be helping with my grandchild born on friday.

dawnmarch likes this.