Suggestion For Next Year

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bcgal00, Mar 9, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I love to see what you all are reading but since it often takes 20-40 days to get a requested e-book from our library, I never get to read during the current month along with everyone else. If there was a yearly or bi-yearly list of what books are coming up, I can request them sooner and have a chance to get them. Our library is growing but still is so slow with building it's e-library.
    So, just a suggestion for next year, maybe. I'll still try to join in the times I get lucky and get a book in time, of course. It's always fun to hear what others think of a book and discuss it. (love the spoiler in white LOL....that is genius!).

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't posted a new suggestion thread in awhile, I'll do one in the next few days and then we can schedule the next few months out. I agree... it takes me a long time to get some of the more popular ebooks from my library too. And I also love hearing what everyone is reading. :)

I just started the February book yesterday... so you can still join in late if you want. I actually like to do that so I can finish and then go back and read what everyone else has said. :) I hate being the first one done and then I can't talk about it yet.

KellyM and Iowan like this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I like the pre-planned idea too, did we try this last year? or did that end up being concurrent book threads so people could choose genres they preferred or non-fiction etc

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm happy to throw in a few from my TBR pile (well they're on the shelf glaring at me for not having been picked up yet since i bought them) for the vote, @Karen ...

You - Caroline Kepnes https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25161131-you
    Remember Me? - Sophie Kinsella https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1358844.Remember_Me_
    The Girl with all the Gifts - MR Carey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17235026-the-girl-with-all-the-gifts
    Wool -Hugh Howey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17164655-wool-silo-1
    For Darkness Shows the Stars- Diana Peterfreund https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8306761-for-darkness-shows-the-stars

5. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

The Girl in Cabin 10 seems to be popular in my irl crowd, but I haven't gotten to it yet

KellyM likes this.
  6. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

8. Karen

yay for all the great suggestions! I'm starting a new thread and will add these there....

bellbird likes this.
  9. Karen

Ok... come add your suggestions HERE

:)

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@sm_amber i didn't realize Lauren Graham wrote a fiction book! I have her Talking as fast as i can on my night shelf right now.

sm_amber likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i bought this at our local 2nd hand book fair yesterday - i saw 2 copies -not sure if it means it wasn't great that people are willing to give it away to charity so soon??? and i didn't realise it was the Gilmore Girls mum - so i bought it more for passing along to my own mum and sis who were massive fans of the show that i never actually watched whih explains why i didn't recognise who the author was...

Karen likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I never know what to think. Because I know that with memoir type books, I usually read it once, and only once. I don't usually go back. So, I try to get them from the library.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  13. sm_amber

It's not a memoir, though being a novel about a struggling actress I'm sure it pulls in some of her own life experiences.. I started it last night night, and while I am a fan of Gilmore Girls, it's not my typical preferred genre.. Already the book feels VERY shallow, too comical and not really my cup of tea. . I'll probably keep going, though - it's a quick read and I'm waiting on a few other things from the library.. I'm doubting I'll have a lot of praise for it, though, simply because it isn't my taste..

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

@sm_amber sounds like nothing could compare after Red Rising series (i read your review in other thread a sec ago, at least it isn't a case of 3rd book in a trilogy disapointment) - this sounds like a total opposite though re: shallow and comical, that might appeal to some though

Karen likes this.
  15. sm_amber

I know - I probably sounded like a raving fanatic RE Red Rising, but I think (hope) it's mostly because I was so surprised myself how much I liked it.. ;) And yes, perhaps this book wasn't the best choice to follow those with.. That's probably not giving it a fair shake.. ;)

Karen and bellbird like this.
  16. sm_amber

Update (I know you've been waiting on pins and needles) I finished Someday, Someday, Maybe and it grew on me.. This isn't the place for all those details, but for those of you who were wary based on my initial take of it, it does get better.. :)

busywoman139 and Karen like this.
  17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@sm_amber If you are a fanatic, so am I! I looooved Red Rising so much. I don't know what that says about me LOL...but the violence didn't bother me at all. I was thoroughly engrossed with the characters and after a bit of a slow start for the first 10-20 pages, I got more and more into it. Can't wait to read the other 2 in the series! A thumbs up from me!

Karen and sm_amber like this.
  18. sm_amber

Excellent! Book 2 took longer for me to get into than the first, but it did not disappoint.. :D

Karen and bcgal00 like this.
  19. Karen

I'm reading book 2 now as well... I'm hooked!

sm_amber likes this.