Styles Question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Apr 18, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

ETA: Changed my question cause I figured out my initial problem all on my own :)

For those of you who have Mommyish's latest shadow style - which of the options do you use for:

a) alphas
    b) banners
    c) word art
    d) word strips

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. littlekiwi

Any suggestions or is there a shadow set that does have options for those items?

3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@littlekiwi
    Jennifer, this is the set of styles I am really enjoying using... they are great and have shadows for just about every element.

[​IMG]

cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  4. littlekiwi

This time around it ended up being a choice between Mommyish’s set that allowed me to seperate the shadow or this one. It might be something I buy during NSD.

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi I use both the split shadow one from Mommyish and also the one by FDD... the thing about Mommyish' Action Style, is that you can use that action once you also get the FDD shadows. FDD shadows have 45 degree and 120 degree shadows.

In PSE 15 I have mine set to show me the names of Mommyish's styles:
    upload_2018-4-20_5-42-32.png

My suggestions for Mommyish's styles that come with the seperation action are :
    a) alphas - Felt or Thick Soft Element
    b) banners - Thick paper
    c) word art - Sticker
    d) word strips : Thin Paper

You can always click on different ones or even use the box with the red line too get rid of the style applied and then choose another until you get the look you want. It depends on the layering how much distance and spread of the shadow you want.

Also after applying one of the styles, before using the seperation action, you can always adjust the distance and sze of your shadow by clicking on the layer and the fx for the styles box to pop open and then adjust as needed.

Here are some examples I have done on some elements. The alpha shows how you can use the style settings (adjusting) to change it a little: Hope this helps!

shadow sugestions.jpg

FDD's Shadows are fabulous too.. I use them both at times and also fine tune them for my liking.

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. cfile

@littlekiwi To see the names of the Styles in PSE... in the styles panel to the right top of the styles is the lined menu selector with the 4 lines that I circled...that will pull open the window and then select show names from the drop down. That will give you the names of the styles.

stylesmenu.jpg

littlekiwi likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

Already done that, it was more that I didn’t see any styles that would be appropriate but your earlier post will certainly help me start

cfile likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

@cfile FDD’s style is definitely in the wishlist for next time, just had to choose which one I wanted first.

For some reason I’ve never mixed different designers shadow styles ever (in fact i’ve only ever used one set even though I have like 5-6 sets already)

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

:)
    I mix all the time (including some of my own I made in Photo Shop) and I also adjust them to my taste as well.. the styles are to be used as is, or as a starting point :) Now that you have Mommyish's shadow seperater you can really have fun when you accumulate the FDD ones :)

10. cfile

Oh great :) In case anyone else is veiwing this post and have questions on how to have the name show up, the info is here :) I only found this a little while ago. I am not a major PSE user, but now I use it to help others :)

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I do what Christa said - adjust as needed with what you have already after using the action. A staple shadow can be adjusted to be used for scatters or other small brads or elements. Adjustment is key since you can split the layers now.

I have saved my own shadows over the years, so I have many and for different depth/softness. When I shadow something, I click through my usual choices, and if that doesn't look right, click on a bunch more, and then adjust until it works. :)

cfile likes this.
  12. cfile

I have saved some that I have made through the years too Jenn.. such a shame that PSE doesn't let you save them (unless you can and I am not aware).

13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

True. At least they can separate easily, and then adjust! :)

cfile likes this.
  14. cfile

Absolutely!! Now that I write stuff for both PS & PSE I am so glad to have that seperate shadow for PSE... I have had it since Leah put it in the store last year I think... prior to that, as hard as I tried moving the distance of the shadow all the way out I could never grab the shadow and seperate it manually.. I have watched Cheryl do it many times.. it just doesn't work for me in PSE so I quickly scooped that up as soon as Leah added that shadow style & action to the store :)