Spam Calls

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Jul 18, 2017.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ditto. And I am still getting calls for the person who had my number over 3 years ago. Argggh. And for the spoofing, yeah, they used our own number once.

At least Heather and Rachel at Credit Card Services have not called in a long time. Probably because I quit answering the phone. One time I pretended I really wanted their services and they hung up on me twice. The 2nd time was when I called back as an "eager" customer who got disconnected.

bbymks5 likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is my dad! He loves to play games!
    Like the IRS scam one (mentioned above): He asked if he could just turn himself in? He said he could use a break from work, and his family was driving him nuts, so he'd love to hang out in federal prison while the mess was sorted out. Especially if he got his own remote. They've never called him back....:giggle

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

oh no.... I didn't think that far ahead! :duh

bbymks5 likes this.
  4. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Don't you just love the names they use "Heather" and "Rachel" uh huh LOL!!

This sounds like something I would say if I were to answer the phone!! PLEASE come and get me...I need a vacation and a place where I'm not responsible for cooking!!

bestcee likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't answer the phone if I don't have you as a contact. If it's someone I know, they will leave a message. Otherwise, no, I don't have time for silly spam.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Got a weird one just a bit ago. It was a local number so I answered. It was a guy with a thick accent from India and best I can tell he said we qualified for special senior benefits and would it be okay if someone called back? Like, if you are talking to me now, why does someone need to call back? I hung up.

bbymks5 likes this.
  7. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I got the IRS call a year old over a holiday weekend (scared my husband cause he panics over things). I actually called the number back and keep asking where are you, transfer me to manager etc. I finally told them I would just drive to the local IRS office (which is about 30 minutes from my house) and we could discuss with them there. Immediately the calls stopped and nobody has ever called again - at least from the IRS.

Another trick I have used is I will say let me get my husband who handles all this because he is a police detective. They immediately hang up.

bestcee, bbymks5 and jk703 like this.
  8. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

Blocking calls isn't effective because they just change their numbers and call you back and you get giggly headset girl. It's annoying.

However, a method that DOES work, is to wait, get to a live person and then let them know that you are under 18. If you have a deep voice, just say "This is the phone of my 13 year old daughter." and they will put you on their own list, because you can sue them for that. ^.^ Then you won't get a call on your number from them at all anymore.

My husband and I went from 9 calls a day to 1. It's amazing!!!

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  9. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

This is so me...I let everything go to voicemail unless I'm expecting a call from the Dr about test results. Hubby, mom, friends...all get dumped into vm and I'll text back.

LOL!! Oh my...not very bright are they?!!?

My mom has received the IRS call too...sad thing is, they will find some sucker out there to con money out of :( Telling them your hubby is a detective is pretty genius!!

I did not know that!! If I had the patience to answer the phone and not lose my cool, I'd tell them it was my daughters number! Knock on wood I didn't have any calls today, but yesterday I had 5!!

gonewiththewind likes this.