Spam Calls

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Jul 18, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I don't know what is going on, but a few months ago I started receiving a TON of out of state phone calls on my cell phone, I never answer, and they never leave a message! I Google the numbers once the phone stops ringing and they are all spam/scam/robo calls. I've tried blocking and adding my number to the "do not call list", but I swear that increases the number of calls.

Anyone have a surefire way of getting these calls to stop? Please don't say I have to answer my phone, because that's not happening LOL! Hubby is lucky I answer his :giggle

cfile likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have noticed that alot on both the home and cell. re the cell I block and delete but as you said it seems to increase, and they have gotten smarter and now using your current area code too. ugh stop bothering us!! LOL good luck Timmi with yours.

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

same here. i usually do not answer unless i know who it is. if it's someone not in my contacts, but important - they can leave a message and i'll call right back. no clue how to make it stop though.

bbymks5 and Tree City like this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Same here... even from my own state. I have received multiple phone calls from one town with similar numbers except for the last digit... I'm blocking them all, but man, it's annoying! I don't know if the Do Not Call List actually works for cell phones... but I'm not sure.

I wish there really was a do not call list that worked!

bbymks5 and londoncuppa like this.
  5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I NEVER answer my phone, unless I know who it is. I block all unknown numbers that don't leave messages. We got rid of our home line years ago because the only calls we ever got were sales calls. Ain't nobody got time for that! :D

bbymks5 likes this.
  6. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Am I the only one that actually answers her phone?? Lol
    I do not answer when it's a number from a different country, but otherwise, I do.
    And I do not have a problem with spam.

Probably the different country might be a reason, but still I like to chalk it up to the fact that I answer my phone. Actually saying NO to the person calling might be more effective then just not answering. Because then they just keep trying.
    I remember, when I lived in Canada for a year, some Dutch organization kept calling me and calling me, (in the middle of the night, might I add. Yay time difference). One day I answered, told them that I was living in a different country, and they stopped.

bbymks5 likes this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

My DH & I joke around and say, "Oh, your girlfriend/boyfriend is calling!" depending upon which number/organization it is. We have them calling on both our home and cell phones. I block them all on my cell, but as others have said they just change the number. I must have at least 50 numbers blocked on my cell, but we haven't figured out how to block them on our land line yet.

bbymks5 likes this.
  8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I get them all of the time on my cell... I've blocked them too, but like you, I don't seem to be making a dent in the number of calls I get. I hate the one with the giggly girl recording who pretends that her headset isn't working.

I normally don't answer calls I don't know... but they have started using local area codes. My kids are out and about so much that I hate not answering a local number (they have been known to call on a friend's phone if their battery dies). Found out that they are just spoofing local numbers. I've had mine spoofed a couple of times lately, because I've gotten calls from people insisting that I had just called their number. So incredibly irritating! Also makes me wonder if I've been blocking some legit numbers that might have been spoofed as well (I'm sure the chances that I know or will know the actual owner of the number is really low though).

9. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I never answer my cell phone if I don't know who it is. And out of state? If they don't leave a message, they get blocked automatically.

bbymks5 and jk703 like this.
  10. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

I still have an "out of state" phone number after our move a couple years ago (yeah nationwide plans). So I know I can ignore the unknown calls from that state. But generally, if I don't know the number, I ignore the call.
    I've seen a few articles recently about the issue, but there's not really much we can do right now. The spammers are robo-calling and are likely calling from somewhere else (sometimes out of country) and spoofing the number that shows up on the caller ID. Not answering may limit the calls because they aren't sure it's a good number.

bbymks5 likes this.
  11. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I hate the calls that when you pick it up and say hello you have to wait for them to pick up the phone on THEIR end! It's like you are on hold until they have time to answer THEIR call to YOU! And election time when all the candidates are sending out their recorded calls to try and get your vote....it nearly drives me crazy! But the other day I accidentally pushed a button on my landline phone and guess what! It turned the sound off!!! And I just thought...wow! I can do that????? LOL

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

those are the ones that sometimes get me too. same reason. or I'm expecting a local call and not 100% sure of the # so I answer but get a spammer! :mad:

bbymks5 likes this.
  13. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I get them, too. I just block the number from my phone. I know I am on the no call list so I know that's pointless.

bbymks5 likes this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You can answer the phone? And like talk on it? :rollinJust kidding! Although I'm known for texting a lot more than speaking on the phone.

I wonder if it's the different country Bernie? That yours is low?

I don't receive very many. But, any time when I have to register an account and they ask a phone number, I don't put my real one. Maybe that helps keep it down for me? I'm always concerned they sell the list. My dad receives a ton! He answers them, and tells them not to call. The FCC site has a bunch of resources for stopping it on your cell. Have you tried that Timmi?

bbymks5 and berniek like this.
  15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I get calls on the landline and the cell phone as well. Thankfully even though most of them are from a call centre in India - trying to get me to "fix" my windows, they only call during our daytime. Such a pain though, the most recent is when I answer a recording starts, I so hate it.

bbymks5 and keepscrappin like this.
  16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I hate spam calls. I'm getting 7 or 8 a day. I've had 3 already and it's not even noon yet. I don't answer the phone anymore unless I recognize the number. I've been tricked before because they spoofed the medical clinic number. Now I just let it go to voicemail. I've told my kids to leave a message if they have to use a friends phone and I'll call back.

I'm on the do not call registry, but noticed the spam calls got worse when we switched our number to Comcast. I'm sure they sold our number. I never had this bad of priblem with centurylink.
    Everything I've found is to not answer so they don't know the number is good. That has helped, but it hasn't stopped all the calls.

bbymks5 likes this.
  17. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I just got one from NYC, which is not unusual, but I didn't recognize the number, and they left a message. I'm about to be arrested by the IRS because I didn't answer my phone and that is fraud! :eyeroll It was a computer telling me this... and that if I didn't get back to them, they don't know what will happen in 3-4 hours. :giggle

So weird. Blocked.

If the person knows me... but I don't know their number, then I can ignore the call, and they can text me to tell me who they are.... Most people who know me, know my hubby too, or my parents... so there are other ways of reaching me. If it's that important, they will get me.

patsyt, jenn mccabe, bbymks5 and 2 others like this.
  18. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I get them all of the town - I don't answer them any more. At one point the "blocked #" listing in my phone was full ... then I got a new phone and had to start over!!
    They are SO aggravating!!

bbymks5 and keepscrappin like this.
  19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yep, I'm another that doesn't answer. I used to get a lot of out of state calls, now a lot of them are from my same area code and first 3 digits. If it's someone that actually wants to talk to me they can leave a message or shoot me a text.

bbymks5 likes this.
  20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

@cfile @jenn mccabe @londoncuppa @tkradtke @mrs2a50 @Sunberry2 @Jan @carrie1977 @Eyeore @keepscrappin @JillW @IntenseMagic :banghead It's so frustrating!! I'm not glad I'm not the only one who is getting dozens of calls, but I'm also glad I'm not alone!! I just can't believe in today's day and age, there isn't a sure fire way to keep them from calling!

My mom gets a TON of calls on her landline, and her number has been re-updated to be unlisted again...when my dad passed away, Cox really screwed up when she had the account put in her name. My one word of advice, from watching the mess my mom went through with utility accounts and the like is make sure BOTH names are on the account and don't even bother letting anyone know when either of you pass...nothing good comes from it.

You answer the phone LOL!! I avoid it...even when it's the Dr calling to confirm my appointment!! I don't like to be on the phone Sam I am LOL!
    ROFL!!! We tease each other like this too!! If people could hear some our conversations, they'd seriously wonder how/why we're still married!!
    LMAO!!

When I had an older number I did the "do not call" lists and they didn't work at all, they helped increase the number of calls...ugh! I'm going to start using a fake number when making accounts too...grrrr
    Bad girl, bad girl, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?? ROFL!!!

jk703, bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.