Smash Book Knockoff

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by krscraps, Apr 3, 2018.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Hi guys! Any tips on keeping up with a Smash Book type project while on vacation? I want to do something similar with my Disney trip this much, but I always seem to have problems keeping up with it. I have my supplies to take with, I just worry.

Should I carve time to journal everything? I usually am an open to closer even with the a slow trip.

20180402_145554.jpg

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

My tips would be
    • keep it with you at all times
    • don't worry about finishing a page, just write/doodle/draw or cut and stick as much as you can at the actual moment
    • finish pages off when you have free time
    • have plenty of prepared prompts/pages - e.g. a page with the title "I can see ..." Then just pick a moment and list/doodle everything you can see on that page
    • If youa re using a plain journal prepare pages in advance with paints/crayon/wordart etc that will give you a starting point when doing the pages
    • don't do the pages in order - pick the page that inspired you the most for that moment
    • use travel time or waiting time to journal in
    • As soon as you've finished using a ticket/leaflet stick it in the journal straight away
    • stick your maps etc in the journal and use them from within it

wvsandy and bestcee like this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

4. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Thanks! I was gonna try to journal/autograph on the right and then photos and memoribilia on the left when I get home, if that makes sense.

AJK and Angela Toucan like this.
  5. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've taken a Smash Book to Disney with me twice with the intention of doing it but just haven't... I'm also an open to closer and I've just never managed to do it while there.

What I've found works for me is to take a small notebook around the parks and a little envelope style folder to collect ephemera. I journal and write down things during the day, usually as we stop for lunch or something and put any bits and pieces in the file as I go. I also journal directly on to the park maps and number attractions as we go, noting down any characters or extras that aren't already on the map.

Then I allow myself a couple of evenings when we get back to put everything in the book, and call it done. Each time I've taken all my supplies it's just sat there undone. I'd love to have the dedication to do it whilst there, but as soon as I get there the magic takes over. Plus it's less "stuff" to carry around with me.

If I was going to do it whilst there I would say plan ahead and only try to take what you will need for each day and maybe have a few pages set up ready to just fill in as you go. Let us know how you get on!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Melidy and Angela gave FABulous tips!!! One thing I do for travel/ vacay is list "things people said"- I do that right on my phone in notes. Seems those things always seem to slip away but having that file makes it easy to add them into the mix and really enriches the journal with some personality(-ies)!

Angela Toucan and bestcee like this.
  7. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Your idea of journaling on the map is an excellent tip @melidy. I might keep that in mind for when I go to Australia Zoo later in the year.

melidy likes this.