Sick Kids....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Feb 15, 2018.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

:sickie I'm home with a sick kid, my youngest. Yuck and I wish I could totally take it for him. He's vomiting and sleepy. No other flu symptoms that I can tell, and no fever. We've been up since 4:30, and lazing much of the day away! I'm hoping it's only a 24 hour bug. He was perfectly find last night going to bed, and then poof 4:30 and ugh! :yawn

I'm lucky though... boys are off school tomorrow, so he has time to recuperate! And... when he was sick last night he managed to do it over the edge of the bunk bed. (Imagine cleaning all the sheets, and cleaning the top and bottom bunks/nooks and crannies after). Yuck but that saved us a lot of cleaning! Dh already cleaned the carpet. :giggle

I can handle the sickness, but sure wish I had the option of taking it from him.

How do you handle it? What is going around by you?
    Stay healthy! I send you good healthy vibes!

2. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Aww, so sorry, Jenn. Thankfully, we have avoided the flu so far this season, but people are dropping like flies around us! I feel like I should definitely knock on wood. I'm pretty ok with sick days on the whole - I kind of like the cuddly kid on the couch watching movies and eating chicken noodle soup thing. However, vomiting is another story - I'm with you, wish I could take it from them. Hope he feels better soon!

jk703 likes this.
  3. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

I feel the same way - I wish I could take the sickness away from my kiddos. Luckily, they don't get sick often. November was pretty bad for my little one, she had an ear infection that caused her to vomit at night too. I had to battle her to take the meds and then wait for them to kick in.
    Right now she is (successfully) potty training but that means she wants to go potty every 10 minutes. We're washing our hands every visit and I think that's managed to keep those extra sick germs away.

jk703 likes this.
  4. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Uuuggg that is the worst! Glad I don't have to deal with sick kids anymore...... I was sick with the flu/cold just before Christmas and then it lasted for 3 whole weeks! The worst!
    I used to set them up in front of the tv and just let them relax there.

jk703 likes this.
  5. jk703

Thanks everyone! He just fell asleep, and I know he's sleeping lightly. I don't want to go far, and he's got a bucket next to him! Fingers crossed he starts to feel better!

Tree City likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My 6yo got the flu last week and it turned into bilateral ear infections and a LOT of congestion.

Long story: he didn't have a fever on Sunday so I sent him to school Monday. He came home and just deflated--no energy. He didn't have a fever and he said he wasn't in any pain in his throat or ears or anywhere, so I figured he just needed another day to recover. But then on Tues he coughed so hard that he vomited. :( That's when we went to urgent care and got the ear infection diagnosis plus she said he's got "A LOT" of congestion but thankfully no bronchitis or pneumonia. So he was home Tues and Weds (and last Fri). I'm so glad he's feeling better!

Jenn, I hope this rest helps him get over the bug, and I'll cross my fingers everyone else stays healthy!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    jk703 likes this.
  7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

my baby 9 year old is home sick today. He is a trooper. Makes the toilet mostly...but tile in there, so I am bleaching the place down.
    He slept for hours, on couch now with sprite and little toy, quiet as a mouse. NO fever either, tummy bug, and tired.
    It is raining outside, so having him all snuggled is a good time. Think I am gonna put Cool Runnings (the Jamaican bobsled Olympic old movie on this afternoon), and just snuggle.

jk703 likes this.
  8. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Thankfully we haven't caught the pukey bug. I'm so sorry for both of you- that's the worst. I too wish I could be sick instead of them- I think it's a mom thing! ;)

Right now my little guy is at the tail end of a nasty cold- still a bit congested, coughing & last night had an earache. He was feeling better this am & went to school, but we'll see how this progresses! My hubby had Influenza type A with terrible cough/fever/chills/bodyaches. He is JUST now feeling better- it's been at least 3 weeks!

One chore the kids do weekly (lately twice a week!) is wipe down all the door handles & light switches with disinfectant wipes. I have been doing our phones/tablets & the car too. It's just SO germy out there right now!! [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  9. kayjaydo

kayjaydo Keeping my feet firmly on the ground

Jenn, Sara, all the best for your kids, I hope they get over it all soon. Us mum's hurt when our kids are hurting.

Both my kids are home with something or other, my youngest has Bronchitis and has been home since Monday. My eldest 13, has been coughing for the last 4 (!!!) weeks, and has been home for three of them, the first week, then the doctor said it only sounds bad so I sent him to school, with a note to the teachers NOT to send him home it only sounds bad. Then it got worse at the weekend and he has been home for 2 weeks since then. The cough is still as bad, and he feels awful, but hte doctor is out of ideas and says we just have to wait for the virus to be finished! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Everytime he coughs it hurts me, and he coughs a LOT! Even at nighttime. He is exhausted, I am exhausted, cause when he doesn't sleep, I don't sleep. If anyone has any great ideas for coughs, I'm listening!

jk703 likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Hope your babys feel better soon Jenn!

jk703 likes this.
  11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

So sorry, Kerri. That sounds awful. I don't have any great advice for coughs but I sure hope that virus runs its course soon.

12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@kayjaydo I'm so sorry your boys have been so sick for so long! They caught a nasty bug!

13. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

Try a good brand of peppermint essential oil for those coughs. Just a drop or two rubbed on the chest and up the neck. I've done that when I've had cold/flu illnesses and it just knocks it out for me. You can use it often. Like I'd wake up coughing and put some on. Was able to go right back to sleep with no coughing for two or three hours and then it would start up again so I'd put more on. Give it a try and see if it helps any. Don't get it in the nose or eyes. It's a very hot oil.

14. jk703

omyword. I hope he feels better soon! It also reminds me to put my situation in a better light!

15. jk703

Thank you everyone! Heading to the doctor tomorrow to get checked out. Slight fever, and better safe than sorry!

16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Hope all goes well at the doctor and that he's feeling better in no time!! We went through a bout of the stomach thing before Christmas and then a low grade fever that turned out to be an ear infection last week. I have had soooo many sick kids at school! I have Lysoled and hand-sanitized and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. I think the day that I had to pick Chance up at school with the ear infection they told me they had sent like 30 kids home that day and as many the day before.

Everyone else with sick kiddos...hope they feel better really soon!!

jk703 likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We always wish we could take it from them. I've been right there with you. Hope he's better by now.

18. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Not only can I not handle vomit but I'm also a sympathetic vomiter and will follow suit if I get too close.

My daughter got sick a couple of weeks ago but we discovered it was from eating too much the night before. By the grace of God, I managed to get her cleaned up, the floor cleaned up, the towels in the laundry, and still get us all out the door so I made it to work on time. I made her stay at my parents' for the day vs. going to school but she was perfectly fine and could have gone in.

Both she & my son had a mild cold last week -- a little sniffling & runny nose, some coughing, but no fever or other flu symptoms.

My stepson had the flu a couple of weeks ago so I was so worried that he would pass it along to my husband who would pass it along to our kids but I 'made' my husband switch weekends so SS had enough time to recuperate and let the Tamiflu work and we didn't get it.

19. kayjaydo

kayjaydo Keeping my feet firmly on the ground

Thanks everyone for thinking of us. No miraculous cure over night unfortunately. And the younger son's stomach decided that it couldn't handle the bronchitis medicine and threw it all back up (luckily he made it to the toilet on time - so no clearing up necessary) I am so ready for this to be over!
    I'm going to the gallery now to cheer myself up!

20. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

We've have the sickies in the house since the middle of last month. My middle had the stomach bug for three days. My oldest had the flu for almost two weeks. She's now in the coughing stages of whatever is going around, but the doctor doesn't want to see her because "she's sick". I'm recovering from pneumonia and the flu. It's been a horrible few weeks here. I can't wait for the sickies to leave our house once and for all!

I'm sorry yours is sick. I hope it's just a 24-hour bug and no one else gets it! <3