Shopping for new computer advice...

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by A-M, Apr 17, 2018.

1. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

For those who have Windows and use Photoshop CS ... how much RAM does your computer have?
    My current computer which is dying on me ( over heated graphics card which is dead and removed and consequently motherboard has been affected and may give out any day), has 16gb RAM.
    I am wondering if I can get by with only 8 ?

Thankyou for any help.

2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I run Windows 7 Pro with 8GB of RAM and an 3.30GHz processor. I never have issues with CS6 and running multiple tabs/windows at the same time. Albeit, I don't install fonts, styles, actions to my hard drive.

A-M likes this.
  3. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I have 32GB of ram (Windows 10/ PS Creative Cloud 2018), but that is also because I am a gamer. My graphics card has 8GB of memory itself.

When deciding how much RAM I need, I check out the requirements for the programs I plan to use the most. For instance, Windows 10 requires 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit) of RAM and Photoshop CC requires at least 2GB (recommends 8GB). My old computer that was retail bought had 8GB of RAM and all I could do was scrapbook in Photoshop.

A-M likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

When I was using PSCC on my old laptop I'm pretty sure it only had 8GB and honestly wasn't too bad though to be fair I was paying for it and not really using it.

A-M likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have an HP Omen - Intel Core i7-7700HQ/NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB dedicated), 32GB RAM, Windows 10. I went as big as I could. I think PS needs 8 GB... but many people get 16GB so that it will run smoothly and not overloaded.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Tronesia and A-M like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have 16GB of RAM, so I'm not help on your 8GB question. Good luck on your search though!

A-M likes this.
  7. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I have 2 hard drives installed; one is a solid state drive that my operating system runs on, and then I have a separate internal 10Tb hard drive where I store everything else (plus A LOT of external drives). I'm going to switch out my solid state drive soon because I don't think it's big enough to run Windows 10 (and I have a lot of its features disabled). I have 24Gb of RAM installed to run a 64-bit system with an i7 quad processor @ 3.4Ghz. I still want more power & speed. Personally, I would never try to run PS & Windows 10 (which is what all new PCs come loaded with) having just 8Gb of RAM.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    A-M likes this.
  8. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

If you subscribe to photoshop CC, I think you would be lucky to be able to run it with 8GB RAM. CS5 or CS6 should be OK.

9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I had 8GB on my old computer and it did ok as long as PS was all I was doing. It really struggled with anything else and would occasionally freeze anyway if I had it running for too long. I have 16GB now and have no trouble having multiple things running all the time.

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You could, but you would be super frustrated I think. When I ran PSE on 8Gb RAM (laptop), it worked. It was annoying sometimes with other programs opened. When I ran PSCC, it was frustrating. It worked, but it hated having anything else open at the same time. It was slow. I would really recommend at least 16GB.

You might have more luck with a desktop, but I doubt it.

A-M likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Ditto as one who would not try to do PSCC with only 8GB. I bought more memory for my iMac after the 2 year warranty and upped it to 16GB. I actually could also install the old 2 4GB cards also (for 24 GB) but I just haven't after the graphics card went. With PS and Lightroom both working, I know my machine could be happier. It doesn't crash but if I've failed to turn it OFF for a couple of days, opening images is sluggish.

16 tends to be the norm now with 32 being the next upgrade. If you can install memory yourself after purchase, you can save money. Of course the bottom line is how you use your computer and what your budget is. Good luck!

A-M likes this.