September 2017 Book Club - Lilac Girls

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am posting the next few months at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for September 2017 is The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

This is another true story but written in a much more interesting style than Radium Girls and I couldn't get thru it fast enough, I was thoroughly engrossed in the story throughout the whole book. For sure, I recommend this one.

Karen and umyesh like this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I am reading this but am not enthralled. I know some of it is the cover. That image of the lilacs on the bottom needs blending!!!

janedee likes this.
  4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I absolutely loved this book but wouldn't have picked it based on the lackluster cover so am thankful this was recommended to me. Now I need to go look at the lilacs on the cover again LOL.

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Went back and looked at the cover LOL. The lilacs placed at the bottom like that seems weird doesn't it? Hope you grow to enjoy the book if you continue reading.

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

:giggle about the lack of blending on the cover

My copy of this book is waiting for me at the library. I'll be picking it up Friday.

7. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Seriously! Who looked at that and thought it was a good idea???

8. cookingmylife

Well despite shaking my head each time I picked the book up to read and thinking ...Oh a good gradient blending those two images perhaps with the title at the join...I really liked the story. I think I would like to go visit Caroline's garden and purchase a lilac. More -> But those lilacs had me stumped til they were finally mentioned at the end of the book.

Karen likes this.
  9. Karen

You guys are cracking me up with the cover critic.... is the paperback cover better for you? :giggle

[​IMG]

bcgal00 likes this.
  10. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Oh my goodness - YES!!! :lol

Karen likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha

Karen likes this.
  12. cookingmylife

Yes, to the paperback cover. I'll say no more about that image and the title.

13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

A big yes to the paperback cover LOL. You'd think they would put more effort into designing a book cover, wouldn't you? We can't be the only ones it bothered, right????? lol

14. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

0 of 35 copies available from my library and there are 5 people waiting ahead of me.

15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I lost my chance. I picked it up Lilac Girls on the 15th like I said, but I was reading Secret Daughter. I finished that last Friday, but this past week I failed to get into Lilac Girls and now it's due today. And I can't renew because 15 people are waiting for it. Oh well. I guess I wasn't in the mood for it. Anyway, I'm working my way through Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series at my daughter's request and she is disappointed at the slow speed at which I'm doing so. I've been reading them occasionally since the beginning of the summer and I'm only at the beginning of book 4 out of 5. :wub

16. Karen

I just got the audiobook from my library this morning, so hopefully I can get started on this one finally. It came highly recommended from several of my reader friends, so I'm really looking forward to this. Donna @djp332 you just aren't having any luck with your library are you. Sorry!

Michele @michelepixels sometimes it's more rewarding to read with the kiddos, huh? This book (and thread) will be here later if you get a chance to read it later. :)

michelepixels likes this.
  17. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I decided that I wanted to give this one a try even though we're in October already. 7 people ahead of me at the library, so we'll see how long it takes to get it.

18. Karen

So I realized as I was making up the new thread asking for suggestions for next year, that I never commented on this book after I read it a few weeks ago. I really liked this book and it was highly recommended to me from several of my other reader friends. Putting the rest in white so I don't cause spoilers... highlight what comes next to read it: It was definitely a new perspective from the concentration camps and WWII and while much of it was awful to read, I really enjoyed the perspectives from the three different girls. One of my friends said that in her book club a lot of the discussion was about the cover and I laughed thinking about the discussion above about the cover... .however, their discussion was related to who they thought the three people were on the cover. Many of them saw three girls on the cover and then read that the book would be from three different girls perspectives and went into the book thinking that those three girls would come together by the end of the book. It isn't really until the end of the book that you realize it is Caroline and two of the rabbits (Kasia and her sister)

End of spoilers. :)

umyesh likes this.
  19. Karen

20. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Finally! This book has just become available for download from my library. Better late than never!

Karen likes this.