Scrappy Goals?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 28, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you set them? Do you meet them? Do you not set them?

I haven't set them typically, but a lot of the project talk, and MOC talk has me reevaluating whether I want to set a goal or two. After all, seeing a goal to read a certain amount of books isn't a negative to me. And setting a goal to finish MOC didn't impact my creativity.

I haven't set them in the past because I didn't want my hobby to seem like work. But, I want to get a few projects off my 'in my head' list. So....

I need opinions! Lol. Have you? Tell me about it.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

The only goal that I have is that one day I will get caught up with my grown childrens' lives. It may be after retirement, but I'll get to it eventually. I have a ton more photos to scan, but I'm hoping to do maybe a PL type project for each of them starting when they were babies. They were 15 and 11 when I started digi and I have done pages of them when they were younger, but I want something more chronological. I might try working backwards from the time I started scrapping, not sure yet as I'm still in the thought process on it. Other than that, no goals, I just go with the flow.

ForeverJoy, sparagus, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I don't set goals necessarily, but I am working mostly on one trip album... and now DYD. I guess my goal is to not get too far behind on current things-- DYD now and Project 365 when I start in January... and to eventually catch up on all those Disney trip albums, though I don't know if that will ever happen.

ForeverJoy and bestcee like this.
  4. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Sort of. I like to set a few goals to keep me focused on priorities. For example, my current goals (through the end of January) are to keep working on PL2017, finish a 20-page trip photobook that I'm half done with, start spending 1 evening a week working on a Disney album, and finish scrapping January to April 2017 so I can print it.

Will I accomplish my goals? That's a much bigger question mark. If I have enough free time and feel like scrapping, I'll probably get a few of these done. Anything that doesn't get done will stay my priority list for a few extra months. If I try to be too strict with myself I'll end up not wanting to scrap--my scrapping time is when I relax and have fun, not when I want to stress over deadlines and goals.

ForeverJoy, Karen and bestcee like this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

On another forum I belong to, back in 2005 they started having # of pages completed during the year as a motivation to get pages done. So I started setting yearly page goals back then. I was a traditional scrapper when I started and set a goal of 200 pages... which I completed. 2006 didn't go quite as well. In 2007 I set a goal of 207 pages and did 208... 206 traditional and 2 digital. Thus the digital scrapping began. Although in 2013, I did more traditional pages than digital.

I still set a page goal but may not make it because of the lack of motivation to scrap. As for setting project goals, I sometimes do that but not always. In 2010, I set a goal to get my cruise pictures from earlier that year done and I did it. In 2013, I completed a project that I had started 5 years earlier... my childhood albums were falling apart so I transferred all the photos to CM albums. My mother was a scrapbooker back in the days before it was cool! She had documented a lot of my childhood so I just used her words, sometimes even cutting the writing on the page out and putting it in the new one. She had used those black page albums that were held together by strings. Magnetic albums were not even around then!

All this info is in a spreadsheet so it is easy to see what I have done. My goal from 2005 to 2017 was 2,573 pages. As of 11/30/17, I have completed 2,094 pages... 803 traditional and 1,282 digital.

bestcee likes this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My goal is to scrap at least one layout every Sunday. That's all. I scrap more than that though.

Oh, I do have a loose goal, I guess, of doing every TLP monthly challenge. I usually do.

I don't have a list of scrapbook projects in my head because mostly I just put ALL of my pages in one album annually. I just got this year's album in the mail yesterday. It's the thickest one ever! :D

7. bestcee

I like this! Focused, but flexible.

8. bestcee

Holy crap! That's awesome!

londoncuppa and ForeverJoy like this.
  9. michelepixels

:eek:

I thought I was so awesome with my 237 pages. Well, I still do. But oh my gosh! 2000, and 60% of those are PAPER!!! Incredible!

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't know how many traditional pages I have, but I have completed 2,829 layouts since 2008. I don't often set goals as I love to jump around here and there and scrap different subjects. I do love that last year I fell behind on DYD but then because of MOC, I chose to scrap mostly those photos and I got so much done!

I haven't scrapped much at all since my surgery in September as I'm still making transitions in my physical life and online life. I feel that since I got out of the "groove" of scrapping, it's been super hard to get back into it for some reason. BUT, I've decided to be kind to myself and just let it happen organically.

I said all that to say that I'm looking forward to my goals of finishing last year's DYD, completing this year's DYD, and doing MOC as well, although I'm still on the fence about what photos I want to focus on for MOC. I might do Disney? I need to do some more pages for our 2012 and 2015 trips. Yes, they're not done. LOL

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

This is an awesome accomplishment and way to go setting goals to complete the pages!

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don't set goals but do think about possible projects. I don't like to think of them as goals b/c I don't want to feel stressed or bummed if they don't happen (which they often don't LOL). I think of them as more of guidelines but don't necessarily have to be followed.

Some album projects I hope to complete some day are: recipe album, heritage album, nature/botanical album and an album about me.

bestcee likes this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

Thanks!

I do have to say though that my page count is actually higher than that. I didn't include any of the pages I did from my early scrapping years... 2000 to 2004. Those would have all been traditional as well. I guess if I ever get bored I could count my traditional pages in all my albums and figure out exactly how many pages I have done in 17 years.

bestcee likes this.
  14. michelepixels

I'm confused. I went back to reread your original post. So that 2094 figure is since 2005? I thought it was just this year. My 237 is just 2017. I'd have to go count pages in my files to figure out for multiple years. Might do that later. :D

15. HavaDrPepper

Yep, 13 years. My 2017 total is 9. The most I ever did in 1 year was 282 in 2012.

michelepixels likes this.
  16. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

One of my goals is to organize my photos - I’ve got at least 5 yrs of iPhone photos just sitting in my iPhoto app with no organization whatsoever! I just started scrapping this year, and I can tell that things are going to get out of control fast if I don’t come up with some good way of organizing and editing my photos!

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't really set scrapping goals other than finishing MOC every year. :) I remember back in the early days of digital scrapping when everyone kept track of how many pages they'd finished for the year and put that in their signature... I loved seeing how many I had done compared to everyone else back then... but we were all kind of obsessed and did a TON of scrapping. :)

18. bestcee

I totally want to bring that back! How fun! And how encouraging.

What I've learned: It's okay to delete. Seriously. As I'm looking back on 2012 and organizing, I'm deleting a bunch. And it's okay. I still have a lot!

Karen and Christina W like this.
  19. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I have a few album goals:

1. My weekly double page spreads are my most important. I scrap those every week or lately every 2 weeks, but I am caught up for 2017.
    2. An album for each of my kids. I'm almost done with Abi & Isaac's. Everyone else has a baby/adoption album.
    3. DYD - This is the first year I've done this & so it's kind of high on the priority list right now, but so far it's been super easy and simple to keep up with.
    4. My House Album. We built our house 2 years ago and this is probably the last of my priorities. I haven't worked on it for at least 6 months.

I did participate in MOC last year and I'm debating about this year. I loved it because it got me out of my scrapping rut and I got a lot of pages done for Abi & Isaac's album...but life is CrAzY right now and I don't know if I need to add another thing to do everyday to my list.

Karen likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

she took the words right outta my brain!! hooly dooley! do you sleep, Rene?!

i don't necessarily have a goal but i try to keep track by numbering my TIFFs of my layouts but sometimes i stuff up the numbering ( and this year i broke them into separate folders by month and stuffed up my numbering multiple times and haven't fixed it) but i aim for around 20 pages a month (non MOC months of course) so that is 20 x 11 so 220 pages plus 31 in Jan, so basically 250/year is my loose goal - as of now, pinterest says i have 226 pins on my 2017 scrapbook layouts board and that sounds about right because i didn't finish MOC 2016 (January is not a great time to schedule vacations with no scrap time), so i'm headed in the right direction but might fall a bit short this year

Karen likes this.