Scrappy Dilemma

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Apr 6, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Now maybe 14-16 months ago I was going to make a gift album (prior to losing majority of my stash with the laptop theft), I bought the album and page protectors but never started it. Now the event it is celebrating happened in 2016 so I’ve seriously procrastinated and I think it’s mainly due to fear of not liking what I make as I want it to be good (this was going to be created in PSE then printed and cut down to pockets cause i’m way better at digi than paper!) and having way less themed and color coordinated supplies than originally planned and maybe 1/4 of my stash organized - I was always going to start once my supplies were more organized...well that never happened due to real life and buying more supplies (job applications and health). I honestly don’t know what to do.....start/finish the album in time for their birthday in just under 3 months or flag the idea

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well, if you have a super short deadline, maybe having less supplies could be a good thing? If you keep it really simple, you could finish faster. There was a thread about doing vacation albums and getting them done simply and quickly somewhere recently. Let me see if I can find it....

littlekiwi likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  4. littlekiwi

I think it’s more the issue of doing it as a gift that’s stifling me cause I want to make it a real treat for my grandmother who supported me for 2 years before my degree and 18 months of my degree while I was studying.

I don’t think one kit will work for my grad photos - some was outdoors and more relaxed, the ceremony itself, early dinner, casual photos before and after plus professional photos

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Whenever I have a large project facing me, I find it helpful to break it down into steps or smaller tasks. Then I can evaluate and schedule a task for a week. So if you think the album will have 30 pages, then you need to get 10 pages done a month, or about 3 a week. Will you print as you go along or will you wait until the end? Waiting until the end could add another week, so maybe the whole schedule needs to back up a week, meaning you need to do 4 a week. Then if you want, you could even assign days within the week, i.e. scrap on M, T, W, and print/put in album on Th, F.

I used to do project planning and that is basically what I am recommending. Often times, it really helps to break it all down and consider whatelse is going on. That way you can adjust your goals to be realistic and achievable. Or if you do the planning and the project is bigger than the time you have to do it in, then you can come up with a plan B.

That said, I have seen some great pages you have done, even in a speed scrap, so I know you can do them quickly. There is this saying - "done is better than perfect". If you finish early, maybe you will have time to re-do the ones that you like less. And if the birthday comes and you still have some pages left, you can still give the gift and then add the remaining pages later. I say go for it! :cheer

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I say go for it too Jennifer. @littlekiwi I am much better under pressure. I can tell you what I have done for gift albums I have made for people.. I have made 2 wedding and one anniversary album besides all my travel albums. so all the pages work together I have used one background, but if you are printing it out yourself to put in the page protectors, go ahead and make your pages and print as you go. I did that too with 8x8 book that I originally started scrapping with prior to coming to TLP... I printed out my pages and placed them in the pocket protectors. I flip through it now and still love it. Your granddmother is going to love it. It is a wonderfull birthday present and if she supported you emotionally through it all she is going to cry with delight when she gets it from you.

Another thing is, start the pages. If you are printing yourself and placing in the page protectors, if in 3 months the book isn't finished, you can always still give it to her, and tell her you will continue to add to her book.

Again, I know she will love this more than any gift you could buy her. A book made with love is worth more than anything else in this world. She will cherish every page you make!

bestcee and littlekiwi like this.
  7. littlekiwi

I get a better deal printing at the end - it’s a 6x8 album so while I’ll be digitally mocking them up as a 6x8 I’ll be using 6x4 prints as it’s the cheapest option for most of it with the odd 6x8 print for things like the official pictures and a copy of my certificate. it’s 40-60c per 6x8 to print using 6x4’s compared with $1 per 6x8.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  8. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

I totally get it scrapping for someone else, especially someone this important, can be paralyzing.

I think you should do it, I think that its a present that will be loved, I think you will procrastinate but give yourself the short deadline to just get it done, and I think there will be pages you find you have issues with. (Im putting what I would feel)

BUT

I think she would LOVE this gift and see it as amazing and not notice one of the imperfections that you see!

littlekiwi likes this.
  9. littlekiwi

Decided on my plan of action I think - it’s Sat afternoon here and I’ve got to run some errands but am thinking since real life is happening at the same time

April - finish organising supplies
    May - Create album digitally
    June - Print and assemble ready for mid month (gives me about 2 weeks to spare)

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Sounds like a plan!!! Keep us updated.

cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Great idea Jennier!

12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Yay Jennifer! You're on your way!

13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

as a grandmom...the heart that is going into the gift makes me smile and cry tears of joy, what a grateful grand daughter you are, she is blessed!
    and I still remember cheering as you walked across that stage! Get it done! lol

14. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Yay!!! I see you already decided to do it, but she will LOVE it. I find I am way too critical of what I make and notice every little thing that I should fix. When other people look at it, they just enjoy it!

15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I agree with Karen: fewer supplies might work for this. Oh, and she shared a link to the thread with Tracie's vacation album, which is such a great example of "simple and gorgeous"...if you did something like that, then you wouldn't have to spend any time organizing your stash: you could just choose a few colors (not even digi papers) for your background(s) and then choose a font or two. Easy peasy! You could add some elements from recent purchases, of course. Organization is a great long-term goal, but I can't wait to see pages you make for this awesome birthday album!

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

She is not going to care if every element is perfectly placed. She is just going to love that you made her something so personalized and special. Especially if you added in a dedication along that line above!

Trust me. My parents adore the book I made of there deceased puppy - and it is NOT my best work at all! In fact, every book I've every made for someone is loved and cherished even when I was brand new to digi and didn't know what a drop shadow was, and wrote the wrong kids name.