saying goodbye to old kits

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by gwtwred, Jun 11, 2017.

1. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

What a bittersweet moment...my computer had become so tragically low on memory that I had to go through my folders of old kits from when I first started scrapping eight years ago and delete most of them. These are kits that I hadn't used in years and that don't even match my tastes anymore. But it was so hard to say goodbye! Anyway, I managed to clear up an extra 27 GB of memory. The computer is running better already.

2. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I need to clear out some of the old ones too. I know it's hard to part with them. I'll probably just store mine on a back-up hard drive "just in case." But truth be told, I'd probably never miss them. Good for you.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I cleared out a bunch a while back and it is hard to say good-bye :( I still have a few that I need to clear out, but can't part with them just yet for one reason or another.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It's tough to clear out space, but I'm sure a faster-running computer will make it better!

On another note, if you really don't want to get rid of stuff, an EHD would serve you well. (In fact, for anyone reading this, I'm a big proponent of EHDs, since Backblaze and other cloud services back up only what's on your computer and delete from its storage anything you remove from your computer). Perhaps that would help with the sting of deleting it from your computer--although items that are no longer your style probably don't need to be backed up?

scrappyjedi and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I purged last year and it was so hard to do. But once it was done I felt good about it. Putting some stuff on an EHD is a good option for freeing up space without having to delete.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Way to go! It's hard to delete old stuff!

I know there have been a few times that the only thing I've missed about being paper is the consumability ! But I love being able to reuse products, so I'm glad it's not consumable!

7. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I lost a lot of old stuff when my desktop died. I did have quite a bit on dvd's but have never got around to putting them on my laptop. I am sure there is a lot I have on my laptop now that I could get rid of, I rarely look into my 'retired designers' folders for example (except for templates).

8. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I do it about once a year & can only manage to delete a handful each time now though. A couple months ago I managed to delete more, but only because I pulled some kits that were smaller that I knew I could only get a page out of & made myself scrap with them first before deleting. So cleared space & used them before purging! Win!

scrappyjedi, patsyt and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I purge when I get the urge. ROFL. It's easy for me, I hate clutter, even virtual clutter.

amien1 likes this.
  10. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Molly, it is hard but I am so proud of you. You attacked it with the right mentality. I always tell people that ask me how to purge digital kits the same thing, "Would you buy it right now to scrap?" If the answer is no, delete don't even give it a second look, if the answer is "I am no sure", then what is it from it that you like? I tell people to make a folder of elements or papers that they "can't let go". Usually helps if you set a count of how many elements or papers you are going to put MAX in that folder.

LynnG, Tree City and gwtwred like this.
  11. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I clean out maybe every 6 months. The more you do it, the easier it gets. But it never fails, I always seem to need something out of on of those kits eventually. Sometimes I can find what I need on my EHD, sometimes not. I recently found a few kits that I thought I had long ago lost, but there they were on the EHD.

12. Tree City

That's what I have: a "Misc Elements" and "Misc Papers" folder where I store the (few) random pieces I love from deleted kits. TBH, the quality from when I first started scrapping is not the greatest, so between my change in style and the QC issue, most things I purchased pre-2014 just aren't worth keeping. (I started scrapping in 2007.)

Sokee and Dalis like this.
  13. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I agree the quality has come so far!!!!!!!! Specially since most people when they start grab tons of freebies (I did that).

Tree City likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Absolutely if something no longer fits your style, it's time to go, even if it is digital. I know it's hard but your computer is already happier with less to work through. LOL

Sokee likes this.
  15. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I put mine on discs, that way if my laptop crashes, I dont lose everything :)

Tree City likes this.
  16. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

This is me too! I love deleting old stuff! ;) I'm a bit OCD when it comes to organizing & cleaning- so even just tidying up my folders makes me feel good! :compcoffee I agree too with the older styles of kits are not my style now. It's like pulling up that shag carpet or replacing those avocado green appliances! :giggle

Tree City and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I renamed all the folders of the old stuff that I might delete some day to start with a "Z". That way it sorts to the bottom of the list. Some day, I will delete it probably. I did delete a bunch of freebies and blog hops of stuff I never use. I should go through that again.

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am so impressed with all of you who can purge old kits. I'm a hoarder of all the things. I have everything I ever bought still. Lol. I just move stuff onto another EHD... just in case. Doesn't cost my anything to save that stuff and funny enough I have had several of the designers I CT for over the years ask if anyone had an old kit of theirs and I've actually saved their bacon a few times. Go hoarder! :giggle

19. Tree City

@Karen that's a great idea for those who have the space on an ehd! And come to think of it, I have my first ehd at my parents (cuz "different physical location" is a good idea for backup files). Anyway, I bet a lot of old stuff I've deleted is on there. But I'll be honest: I haven't missed any of it...but if a designer asks, then I'll have my dad upload it to the designer rotfl!

Karen likes this.
  20. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I've started deleting kit items right when I get the kit, if it's something I don't like and wouldn't use. Not a ton of stuff, but 2-3 items in a kit of 50 things. For example, I don't scrapbook with images of mushrooms so if a kit's got a mushroom in it, I might love everything else about the kit and delete the mushroom.

I purge, too, but it's nice to know that the stuff I'm keeping now has already been through a once-over.

EHStudios and Tree City like this.