Safety Pins...do you know what they are? or what they're for?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Sep 7, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I adore safety pins and my first memory of them is on diapers. Mom always had some of the ones that @BevG mentioned :) I have used them for just about all of the above!! I like to keep a couple in my purse for emergency clothes situations!

BevG and cfile like this.
  2. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

I'm known for making fake hems with safety pins (cause I'm shorter than all my pants?) I use them for holding socks together for the wash (particularly helpful for baby socks). I also remember making bracelets with safety pins and beads as a kid/teen.

cfile, Meredith78 and enjoyyourpix like this.
  3. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

::Naming Fairy:: ::Naming Fairy:: ::Naming Fairy:: {maybe it's like Beetlejuice and if I say the name three times she will come} Naming Fairy, check out this post by Serena!! Jus' sayin' ...

Serena and berniek like this.
  4. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I use them for pretty much everything mentioned here - as well as for first aid (holding bandages and slings), emergency splinter remover, replacing the broken pulls on bags, pinning DH's Fun Run tag to his shirt...I confess that I don't use cloth nappies partly because I've always struggled to deal with safety pins in that context.

cfile likes this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I use them all the time for lots of things! I'm a seamstress so there's the sewing aspect of holding things together' things in place. I use curved safetys for pin basting together quilts for quilting. They are also great for pinning together like items such as small buttons. I could go on and on, but I'd be lost without my safety pins!

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have a special box I keep in the same place in my craft room so that I know where they are when I need one... but yes, I definitely have used them over the years. I also remember making beaded pins with them in middle school and they were very trendy at the time. :giggle

Sunberry2 and cfile like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm... always something to poke. :giggle Shirt gap, hoodies, static guard, travel to keep a pair of earrings together (I mostly wear hoops and don't wear a lot of jewelry), and as zipper tab when the original broke off.

londoncuppa and cfile like this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

you can make broaches and jewelry by gluing small piece of cardbord and then to the item so it can become a pin to place on your outfits.

9. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Who doesn't know what they are and own at least some of them? It's a type of thing you somehow just have, isn't it? I even saw a few in my desk drawer at school and I know for a fact that I did not bring them there...

10. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

OMG Kimberly, you crack me up!!! <3<3<3

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Uh....I don't think so... My outfits would not be happy! :thumbsdowns though I certainly do recall this kind of thing.

12. cfile

Sorry your outfits would not be happy. Others have done it and it is lovely. Don't knock until you try it!

13. cookingmylife

@cfile No offense meant. I have seen oodles of these done for Christmas bazars etc. I wear very little jewelry but do have one of these pins made for me out of blender pureed paper with a safety pin on the cardboard background. I keep it because this woman was a mother of a friend. While it's cute, I stopped wearing pins etc when I retired.

cfile likes this.
  14. cfile

no offense taken Maureen...I understand.. I wear very little jewelry myself since I retired 5 years ago too!

15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I don't own a single safety pin (or paper clip). GASP. I like to live on the edge.

cfile and Serena like this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I think you have to request the naming fairy. She doesn't like to change taglines at whim, just in case someone likes to be a well-known member!

cfile and Serena like this.
  17. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I use safety pins quite often- to help my daughter hide her bra straps for gymnastic meets we pin the strap to the shoulder seam of her Leo, my older daughter used to ask me to do the same but now she likes to wear those lacey bralettes and it seems like those are supposed to be seen. I don't have a problem woth bra straps showing, but it can be a deduction as well as overly used makeup and lots of hair glitter at gymnastic events, so we just try to avoid getting those easy to fix deductions.

bestcee likes this.
  18. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

Ooh! I didn't know that! I've always been kinda sad for not having a title but figured it was an event thing that I missed somehow! I've been hoping there would be another 'naming event' and that someone would come up with a good one for me that I earned. ^.^ I love the names!

@KayTeaPea Woah! That's really cool! I didn't know they had those deductions on the make up and glitter and whatnot! I love gymnastics, I wish my kids were into it, it's my favorite (and only sport I watch) for Olympics. :D I always wanted to do the floor work and the ribbon dance.

19. cookingmylife

Be careful what you pray for...the Naming Fairy can be devious!

londoncuppa likes this.
  20. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I have a lot of them - just can't find one when I need one (which certainly isn't often any more!). I usually used them for holding clothing together in an emergency ... think hem, broken zipper, etc.

bestcee likes this.