Running Injury/Physical Therapy

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by klee73010, Oct 3, 2016.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

So, I go tomorrow for my next PT appointment. I am wondering if it is even helpful. I have only been twice... but this is after 3 chiropractor visits and the doctor.

Over a month ago now, I messed up my hip. I ran on it anyway one or two days and was fine. But then I wasn't fine and was walking weird and with a limp. It was bad enough that I wouldn't even attempt standing on one foot (think like trying to get a shoe or sock on, or putting on pants) because I didn't think it would hold me up. Walking it off seemed to help, so I kept walking with the kids... the day care director suggested chiropractor, and I had been thinking the same, so I tried it...
    The one I went to happens to be within a homeopathic medical plaza... very nature-y and natural medicine and healing. I was okay with that in theory.... but she just kept telling me how weak my muscles were, and that my hip was messed up because I eat too much sugar, causing havoc in my glands, which keep pushing my hip out of place.
    Now... I am absolutely not discrediting the fact that I eat too much sugar. But I've been running off and on for 2 years, and only just now having hip pains, and have been eating the same way... actually probably less sugar recently than when I started.
    Anyway... after three attempts at chiro adjustments, we went to Portland. Lots and lots and lots of walking. Mostly I was not in pain. Uncomfortable at some points, but not in pain. We did the hike... again, not in pain, just mild discomfort.
    When we got home, I went to my doctor, who prescribed muscle relaxers, and sent me to PT.
    1 week into PT, they are still not sure what's wrong. (Thinking Psoas, TFL, hip flexor, and tendonitis.... some variation/combination of all of these) now I hurt worse... as in all the time, instead of just when I try to run. At least it's just dull now, rather than sharp pains.... but I miss running. :hissy :tantrum

I'm not doing well with "just wait". So I keep "just walking" and doing the PT exercises, and feel like my hip is on fire most of the day....

:tantrum

/end rant... sorry to be a downer on this one. But I need some other people's experience to help me see that PT is actually a good thing, and why more than one week is worth it... otherwise I may just spill my frustration guts all over the unsuspecting med student at tomorrow's appointment.

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

That would PT -- hurts before it feels better. And the reason for not pinning down exactly what is all the inflammation and muscles reacting to the touch. It improves and when they get it pinpointed it will help a lot I hope. My physical therapist has done wonders for a shoulder with nerve damage and lymphedema, along with other issues like my knee. Good luck. Use your ice!!!

klee73010 likes this.
  3. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I kind of feel the same way about PT. I've been for two different injuries- after I had ACL replacement surgery and after I ruptured my achilles tendon.

I could totally see why I needed to go after ACL replacement, and they did help then. They were WAY too easy on me, though!

With the achilles tendon rupture/microtear I had the same thing you describe- it hurt like the blazes, but I could walk off the pain and even run on it after I warmed it up. I don't think that PT really helped so much with that. They didn't really do much beyond ultrasound and ice/heat (and talk about what a bad job my surgeon had done on my ACL, which is slightly too short now). What did help was resting it a lot. Tendons take FOREVER to heal, so if you've aggravated or injured one, it could be several months before it is all better again. I was in a boot with mine for something like 2 months, and on limited activity after that. They did tell me that I could do anything I wanted as long as I had the boot on, so I still lifted weights a few times a week. I was also allowed to do cycling (not much achilles stress), and that was the only thing I could do without the boot.

But, I digress. The main point is don't mess around with your tendons! I had a tiny little pull in one in my foot last running season and decided to ignore it. Fast forward about 6 weeks, and I could barely walk and my foot felt like it was going to rip in half when I ran. I was out of running for FOUR MONTHS! It would have been so much better if I'd just taken a few weeks off right when it started to twinge.

Ask them at your appointment tomorrow what exercises you can do besides running to keep you from going crazy. My PT was not very helpful with this, but the group exercise instructors at my gym were amazing. They were the ones who pulled me into cycling class and showed me how to mod exercises like lunges to work around my boot. Maybe you would have better luck working with a trainer instead of a PT, or in addition to?

klee73010 likes this.
  4. klee73010

I definitely plan to ask about other exercises today. I thought about my PiYo program, but I almost think it is too intense for my hip. I did my exercise bike yesterday and didn't seem to have issues during, but after was a bit of a mess. All I know I can do is strengthen core muscles.... so I am doing a lot of planks. And I'm bored. Haha.

It is very frustrating... I am not sure I will be able to make it to my half marathon. I felt like I was cutting it close anyway.

Grumble grumble grumble

5. kirstiegai

kirstiegai Trick or Treat, RUB by feet!

I'm a Personal Trainer and I work mainly with over 50's now and mostly rehab exercises.

The one thing you didn't mention @klee73010 is if you've had any scans at all?? Ultrasound or such? This is really the only way to pinpoint what's wrong. I've seen so many people of all ages that just go to a physio or the like and let them decide. Then their treatment is usually exercise and manipulation. The most common type of exercise that should be used is stretches. Most of the time it's not even what they have been thinking. It can be anything from tears to bursitis, sciatic pain and even arthritis.

6. klee73010

@kirstiegai the most recent visits have included "dry needling" where they poke my muscles with acupuncture needles basically, and try to get them to relax and unlock. My "exercises" are more strengthening my stabilizing muscles to prevent the issues coming back. I'm still not allowed to run, but I walk most days.
    I have not had scans done, because I've been told by the chiro, the primary care doctor, and the PT that scans aren't really going to tell them anything. Fortunately, I am pretty good about telling them how everything feels and when, and they've been able to pinpoint the issues as I go.

Right now we're working with TFL issue, weakness in psoas and some other stabilizing muscles, and the fact that my desk job/sitting all day has weakened the muscles' ability to have a correct response... particularly glute med and glute min... and because they are not responding correctly, the other muscles are over compensating and being over worked.

It's annoying. :/

kirstiegai likes this.