resale/thrift shopper?|Pad Patter 4.11.2018

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Apr 11, 2018.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Yes to the globes! I don't find them very often though. I found them a lot when we lived in Texas, but I've only purchased 2 since moving back to Chicago (and those were within the last year - we've been back up here for over 10 years now). We just have the one record player... but I'm collecting records for it, mostly Christmas albums. The record player is technically Clara's, but she puts it in the family room for Christmas each year. I'm on the hunt for the albums we used to have when I was a kid... I remember getting them at the gas stations around Christmas time and they were a variety of artists, I can remember most had something by Burl Ives and one had the Brady Bunch! :-)

I did Stitch Fix for a few years and then quit when I got my dressier wardrobe at the place I wanted.... it's been a while now, so I think I'll sign up for a box or two in order to freshen things up a bit.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Oh my! I am the garage sale, thrift store queen!!! Looking around my living room, I don't see a single thing that I purchased new. My furniture is mostly from Habitat for Humanity store or given to me free. I am St. Vincent's Thrift Store's favorite customer. None of my clothes are new, except for new pieces I luckily find at St. Vincents. Yes, I actually find some with price tags on them. The only thing I buy new are my undergarments. I will NOT buy from Good Will. I will not line this millionaire's pockets with my money. St. Vincent's puts 95% of their profit back into the community. What I love is the fact that I pay so little for things that if I want to change decor, I can afford to do that and the old stuff goes back to St. Vincents to sell again. Can't wait for summer to hit the garage sales again!!

3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, yes! All the time! There are a gadzillion here in Northern Virginia.

I went yesterday, in fact. I purchased a vintage wicker sewing basket for $7.00 (talked the lady down from $15!) and a purse made from a Candyland game board for $4.00 (the artist sells them for around $60-$70!!!). All through the winter I was able to purchase a boatload of wool sweaters for $7.00 each from the Salvation Army. My favorite was an Icelandic Lopi that retails for over $200. I wore it all winter. Last month I purchased a pair of ankle boots for $11 (retail $90), brought them to the shoe repair place for new heels and inserts, and they're like new! I could go on and on and on and on...

I really don't go looking for anything in particular. I let the items find me!

4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

The prices at our Goodwill stores are so inflated that I hardly go in there anymore. They mark items for retail prices, not used. I can go to a retail store and purchase something new for just a few dollars more.

5. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I've tried garage sales, and going to resale shops, and either I'm going to the wrong ones, or I'm just too picky. I hardly ever find anything I want to buy, and it takes too much of my time to come back with so little.

I like the idea, and have even tried going with friends who do it regularly, but on those days, we *both* come up empty. LOL