Reboot | Pad Patter 4.12.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Apr 12, 2017.

How often do u turn off your computer or reboot?

1. I don't - it does it itself (while i'm cursing at it)

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Only when i have to (installing stuff or travelling etc)

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Regularly (eg. every day)

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Hmmm I probably should turn it off more often but I never remember. I do turn it off more in Summer so it doesn't over heat though :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Rarely. Maybe when I'm on an airplane and they tell me to.

bellbird likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I shut mine down every night before I go to bed. I turn it on in the morning before work and shut it down again before I leave for work. I don't like having anything left "on" when there is no one home...just a quirk of mine. I voted every day, but it's always twice a day.

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I turn it off every night. If I'm going to be gone for a long period during the day, I'll shut it off then as well.

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I rarely shut my iMac down, but I reboot about once a day. Especially if I've used Lightroom or Photoshop, which is almost every day. I've noticed it can get sluggish if I've used it a lot without restarting.

As for my phone, I rarely shut that down either.

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I shut mine down every night too. I used to keep it in sleep mode but have found lately that it was switching itself on whenever there were internet surges.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This is an interesting thread. I rarely turn my computer off, just let it go to sleep. And at work we are told to leave our computers on all the time, just to lock the screen when we leave. that's so they can push updates during non-working hours remotely.

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm in the habit of every other day or so. Definitely when I won't be around for a day or two.

9. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I reboot my MacBook Pro maybe twice a month unless there are updates or I install new programs or something. I've never had an issue - I did this with my last MacBook Pro too!

My desktop PC at work gets shutdown every night though.

10. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

When I had my old laptop: every day. It made such a sound and it heated up so badly. Everybody would have done the same.

My work laptop: only for updates or things like that. I just close it when I change rooms of places so it's usually on standby and I really don't want to wait every time for it to start. Also all my work is open as if to-do lists. And Windows computers need to update So Often!!! I don't have time for that. So it's usually on standby in my bag.

My iMac: about every other week or when he wants me to. It's so pretty and quiet and it keeps all the tabs open and it still works perfectly fine. I restart every other week when I feel like it's slowing down or when I feel like it's been on too long or I'm not going to be on for a few days.
    Otherwise it's sleeping.

11. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

With my old laptop I rarely shut it down, usually it did it on its own. I didn't turn it off because it would take sooooo long to rebo0t and then to open programs (especially PS and web browsers).
    My new laptop boots so fast and PS opens with a click, so I could turn it off more, just in the habit of not doing so. However, after your awesome explanantion @BevG I think I will start. I really dislike clutter ;)

BevG likes this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

My Apple techs over the years have always recommended turning it off at night. I also have it set to turn on at 06:30 every morning so if I sleep in that room it's an alarm clock! I sign in, go and get my tea and it's happily ready for me when I walk back upstairs. If I'm not getting out of bed, and don't sign in, it goes into sleep mode in about a minute.

When I was working for State government, they also wanted us to turn our machines off at night. Updates could still be done as the IT department had control of our PCs and could access them at any time and did. It was the same when I worked for the federal government.

Just as sleep cleans our brains of clutter, so does turning off a computer is a good thing too. :hammock

13. renee82

renee82 renee82

I have a bad habit of just closing the lid because my old laptop would just turn itself off... this newer one if a bit more finicky..

14. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Ours is getting a bit old, if we leave it on for more than half a day, it overheats and turns itself off. And our monitor decides by itself to go into standby mode, ie shuts fown even if the computer is working perfectly as well, then we have to shut everything down and leave it for half an hour or so. Have spent a lot of hours swearing at our technology....