Reboot | Pad Patter 4.12.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Apr 12, 2017.

How often do u turn off your computer or reboot?

1. I don't - it does it itself (while i'm cursing at it)

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Only when i have to (installing stuff or travelling etc)

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Regularly (eg. every day)

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

How often do you turn off your computer or reboot?
    As you may know, i'm not great at preempting all responses with my polls so feel free to discuss ;) And as you may have figured out, this patter topic was brought to you by my response, tonight anyway, the first one.

2. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I turn my computer off every night... and sometimes if I know I'm running for the full day after I use it in the morning I will do a shut down. I figure I can check in with TLP on my phone while I'm out and about. I do it more for an energy saver.

bellbird, bestcee and Rikki like this.
  3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

bellbird likes this.
  4. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I only turn it off when necessary. It goes to "sleep" after 15 minutes of non use but I think I read somewhere a long time ago LOL that it was good to reboot often. So....I should do it more.

bellbird likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I turn off my laptop everyday. Sometimes I turn it off multiple times a day depending on if I'm coming and going. Now my phone and iPad are another story. Those stay on forever. I shut them down when I'm having problems but should probably shut them down daily too.

littlekiwi and bellbird like this.
  6. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I only turn it off if it is running wonky or if I'm going to be away from it for a few days. Sometimes to update -- but only if it's an update I am actually wanting and waiting for.

bellbird and tkradtke like this.
  7. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Rarely. I just put it to sleep every night and only turn it off when its acting funny. I really should turn it off more often.

bellbird likes this.
  8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Basically the same here. I hit the "remind me tomorrow" button more often than I should on updates... but 1) I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing and reboot after the update and 2) my laptop is getting "fragile" enough that I don't want to mess with a good thing. I think that any update has the potential to bring the whole thing crashing down.

I should shut down at night, but I usually have projects in process that I don't want to close out of so I can shut down.

bellbird likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I do it regularly but not everyday. Like every other day.

bellbird likes this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

It used to be that turning on and off your PC shortens the life span of the components. Now with technology advances not so much. But most articles suggest sleep mode is the best if you use your PC all day/multiple times per day.

I rarely shut mine down. Install updates and if we leave the house for vacations and cleaning out the inside are the 3 times I shut down. The rest of the time it's in sleep mode if I'm not using it, which is pretty much night, because I'm at my PC all day.

bellbird likes this.
  11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I can't tell you why. I'm not a techie person in any way....but I trust my computer guy. He says it is good to turn it off, every night is best but even just a few times a week is good too. He's been a computer expert since the stone ages (back in the 70's) so although I never understand what he talks about, I usually follow his advice.

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  12. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

So true, our laptop automatically installed a windows update and it wouldn't finish the installation -- just kept getting stuck and rolling back to an earlier installation from which it would then try to update again. I almost lost my mind trying to get it fixed.

bellbird likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

The laptop gets turned off everyday. The desktop doesn't. It depends on if I think I'm coming back to use it or not. If I think I'll be back, I use sleep. If I don't think I will, I shut it down. And I shut it down when we are leaving for vacation or if it's stormy. I don't want it to lose power and fry!

bellbird likes this.
  14. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

Like Rae, I live with a computer tech, he about has a COW when I put it in sleep mode. He's gotten to where he'll let it go a tiiiiny bit. (for instance, this week when I needed a funny layout pulled up and had all my things going on..) as long as I shut it down within a week and then after shut it down quite a few times before I pull another 'college bender sleep mode week'.

Basically, every time your computer goes into suspend or sleep, it stores the memory and every time it wakes up, it pulls from that memory. Things get corrupted during this time, both system files and what you're working on, so your computer WILL eventually need a LOT of work. Plus updates, so it's just best to shut it down completely each time you can to avoid corrupted files. With my photos and all my scrap stuff (and SEEING the corrupted files that I've lost from all those times previous) I'm uber careful now.

It's not necessarily bad for your 'components' now, but it IS devastating to files, files you might not even be aware of. So I shut mine down often with only a few times of going on sleep benders. ^.^

(and it DOES do the reboot thing while I cuss at it, that counts, right? >.>)

bestcee likes this.
  15. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I shut mine down every night. I can't stand having fifteen million windows updates waiting!!!

bellbird likes this.
  16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Unless Windows and all those programs that you run have gotten a whole lot better at cleaning up after themselves, then shutting down is the way to go.

Think of it this way, friends and neighbors come over to visit and play, but when they leave, they leave a shoe here or a half-eaten sandwich there. Then Windows, expecting them to come back for the shoe or sandwich says - not a problem I'll hang onto it just in case. Meanwhile, other friends show up and do the same thing. Even the original friend comes back - does he get his old sandwich? No, he gets a new one. Pretty soon, you guessed it - clutter everywhere and things are slooooooow because you can't run fast with clutter everywhere.

Sleep mode says - Nap time! - All guests must go to sleep now. Hey, we need everything as is when our guests wake back up, so keep it all. I know some guests left, but they they might come back - let me save this shoe, this half-eaten sandwich - just in case we need it when we wake up from our nap. We want all things ready for them, whether they need them or not - ready to party on.

Shutting down wipes all that RAM memory clean - the cleaning lady comes and throws out all the shoes and half-eaten sandwiches. So there is lots of room to run and play until it gets messy again. She also makes all guests leave.

And there is your non-techie version of how RAM works. Only thing I left out is that when things get really cluttered, Windows moves the older stuff to a storage pod in your driveway. Now your hard disk space is filling up with half-eaten sandwiches too. Guess what? The cleaning lady of shutting down empties the storage pods too.

Teri, Sokee, Serena and 4 others like this.
  17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@BevG your explanation mace sense but it was also entertaining. I imagined a big Windows logo shooing guests out of his "house" lol. :)

Now another question: our cell phones are basically computers: how often do you reboot your phone???

18. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

@BevG the way you've described it, it's awesome! Ok, tonight I'm shutting it down. Can't promise about tomorrow...

19. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I put mine to sleep when I'm away from it, but I will only shut it down for updates and when I have to. I'm not patient in the time it takes to boot back up.

bellbird likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

not enough. i'm another who rarely does and need to get better at this!

bellbird likes this.