Rebel t3 vs t6

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by krscraps, Sep 15, 2017.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Hello!

I'm looking to upgrade my camera. It needs to be a Canon rebel so my lenses still all fit. I currently have a t3. I was going to go for a t6. Or is it worth it to pay the extra for a t6i?

Thanks in advance!

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am going to keep watch.. i have a T3i as well.

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It doesn't have to be a Rebel, just another Canon. I think there are a few lenses that might only work on crop sensors and a few that only work on full frame, but most Canon lenses work on all Canon cameras.

I'm still using my Rebel T1i I bought in 2010. I wouldn't consider it an upgrade to get another Rebel. I think my next camera will be a full frame Canon . . . or maybe a mirrorless (of another brand. I only own the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8, so I haven't invested a lot in Canon lenses yet). It depends on whether I ever make up my mind whether I want to go into business. That won't be happening any time soon though. :)

I didn't realize there were versions with and without the "i" in the name.

Good luck in your research. One of the most helpful sites I used in 2010 when deciding whether to go Canon or Nikon, and more recently when I was trying to decide which lens to rent, is http://www.kenrockwell.com He gives more detail about every camera and lens he reviews than I would ever want to know, including whether the lens works on full frame, crop sensors, or both.

:photo

4. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I shoot Nikon so can't help you with the Canon body lineup, but some questions to ask yourself are, why do you want a new body? Is it a need? If so, what does your current camera not do well? What do you hope a new camera will do that your current camera doesn't do?

There are a lot of good reasons to upgrade bodies, but it helps to really figure out what your current camera lacks before looking at the options, that way you know where to focus your search.

cfile likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I wanted to get the Canon 6D, but I just couldn't justify the price since I won't ever take photos "good enough" to justify the cost. BUT, that doesn't mean I don't want to improve my skills, which means getting a camera that can grow with me. Anyway, we got our T1i in Jan 2011 and just a few months ago we bought an 80D cuz Costco(!) had a great deal on a bundle. I couldn't get a 6D Mark II body for the bundle price lol, so it was kind of a no-brainer. And although my T1i still worked, the 80D is LOADS better. It's weather sealed, but I don't have a weather sealed lens, so I haven't tested this. It's 24.2 MP; fully articulated screen; I like how it feels (that's not a spec, sorry!); 45 focus points; and, like Michele mentioned, the T6 isn't really a big jump from another Rebel, so I wanted to get the next (mid)level camera.

If you Google Canon T6 versus T6i (or whatever 2 you want to compare), Imaging Resource will have a great side-by-side comparison, which is super helpful. That's what I used to compare the 80D and the T6i.

bestcee likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I went from the Rebel XS to the Rebel 6i. It was an upgrade for me. It has more focus points, can wirelessly connect to my phone, and the LCD moves allowing me to get better photo angles on selfies/group photos. It also connected to a wireless remote, which the XS did not do. So, for me, those features were enough for me to upgrade. I don't need a full frame camera, so the Rebel series fits my needs fine.

(I am not a professional. I shoot for my family. I like to improve my skills, but I'm okay with Auto if I'm in a hurry and want to make sure I get the shot. Usually I shoot in Av or Tv)

Why I choose the T6i over the T6 (pretty much in order of importance in my life now, maybe not the same at time of purchase)

1) The LCD screen rotates. That may sound simple, but I can pull it out from the base, flip it around and instantly preview the shot with me in it. This is even better with the remote. I can see if we are all in it, and we are placed right. No need to hope the shot I lined up works once I get in it. Also, I'm short. I have surprised myself with the number of times I raise the camera up, tilt the LCD down so I can see what I'm photographing. Especially great for floor or counter (think a plate of cookies) photos. No need to stand on a chair or anything.

2) Focus Points were higher. Yes, with manual focus, this isn't a problem. But active dog and child means I'm more often on auto focus. Plus, I often shoot my younger siblings and nieces and nephews. This is especially true when I was learning my new camera.

3) Touchscreen LCD. I honestly didn't think I would care about this. But I do. I like being able to touch to shoot, touch to focus, and touch to change some settings. The touch to shoot is easy to turn on and off. It's especially nice for front facing shoots. I have used it when I'm having trouble getting the focus where I want too.

Last and least: The bigger capture. Yeah, it's unlikely that I will ever want to blow a photo up big enough to justify 24 MP over 18, but still. Why not have that capability?

Let me know if I can answer anything else @krscraps