Questions about Inked Edge action

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Rikki, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I got the inked edge action and have a couple of question for @mommyish

Leah, I noticed that in your video you have your colours fg white, bg black. When I have my fg colour white and bg colour black, my end product ends up with a black thick frame around my inked edge. The first layer the action creates (background) has this black, well, background which transfers all the way to the end, whereas if I start out with fg colour black and bg colour white, it works fine. Do you know how come? I start out the same as you but end up with the black frame. Obviously I can easily avoid this, but I am at a loss why this would be.

Also, my end product seems way less black than yours in the video. My edge is sort of greyish all around without that thick black outside border. Is that some setting that I need to check maybe?

I am attaching an image so you see what I mean.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@Rikki Rikki - I ran it with fg = white and bg = black and it worked perfectly in CC 2018 .. In PSE 15 if I run it with fg=black and bg=white it is fine, but fg=white, bg=black I have the same issue, so it is the PSE action I think. I will watch this and see what Leah says. I only tried it before on papers not elements.

3. Rikki

@cfile
    Christa, I am using the CS action (double checked this) with the current CC version, so this cannot be it.

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@Rikki.. so odd as that worked fine for me under CC 2018 but I also checked the PSE version on PSE 15 and that same thing happened there. weird for sure.

5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

@Rikki i RIKKI!!! I know the answer- when I was testing this for leah it happened the same for me too. It's because your background layer was a solid rather than transparent. If you just double click your layer to make 'layer 0' or something so the background is now transparent, it'll run normally! :)

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. Rikki

@amien1 No, Amie, I tried it on a layout (like Leah in the video) as well as with a png where there is only one layer 0. The result is always what I described above. It's baffling.

7. amien1

Hmm. I wonder if the program is 'remembering' your previous setting. I think that happened on my PSE12 test. I had to close then open back up a new document with transparent as the background.

@mommyish

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  8. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

Exactly what amie said - many times it may be because you opened a jpg or flattened image before and your program "remembers" a solid background, so when it runs it's playing with a completely different image. That looks CRAZY!

@Rikki I was able to replicate your problem by opening a new document that had my background contents set to "background color" and then I opened my tag and ran the action - this is the result.

upload_2018-3-31_14-26-44.png

Now I am going to create a "faux" document - change the background contents to transparent and then open back up the tag and run the action. You can see I get the correct effect.

upload_2018-3-31_14-29-13.png

then I pasted it into my original document :)

upload_2018-3-31_14-30-19.png

Now I have to be 100% honest - I have NO IDEA why PSE wants to do this. I hope this has been a little helpful!

littlekiwi likes this.
  9. Rikki

Amie, I even closed PS now and then opened with another tag. Still the same. White fg and black bg gives me the black frame as in the image above and the whole edge is not black but rather as if the opacity was reduced.

amien1 likes this.
  10. Rikki

@mommyish Thanks for your answer. I am using the CS action with CC, but I will try out what you said and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

amien1 likes this.
  11. Rikki

@mommyish @amien1
    OK, got it. Man, who would have known. Can you believe I had to google how to open a new document in CC with a transparent background first (just making the background layer transparent after opening didn't help with the action). Adobe sure doesn't make that easy, do they?

After I managed that I re-opened the tag and now it worked with fg and bg either way. And the edge is now black as it should be. JOY!!!

Thanks for all your help. Next time I know what to do.

BTW, thanks for making the edges their separate file, this is super convenient.

mommyish and amien1 like this.
  12. scrpprgirl

scrpprgirl New Member

@mommyish I'm pretty new to actions and I just had to have this one. When I run the action I get several pop ups that I didn't see when the action was run in the video. Is it settings I have wrong? The first 2 pop ups say The command "Rasterize" is not currently available. The 3rd and 4th pop ups say This Smart Layer must be simplified before it can be edited. Would you like to proceed?. Then the 5th pop up says The command "Rasterize" is not currently available. Then the 6th pop up says This Smart Layer must be simplified before it can be edited. Would you like to proceed?. The 7th pop up says The command "Rasterize" is not currently available. Obviously I'm doing something wrong LoL! On all of these pop ups I choose OK/Continue and seem to get the end result but it's bigger when I try to apply it to the element. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using PSE 12.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Tagging Leah so she can help with the above question: @mommyish

scrpprgirl likes this.
  14. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

I'm using PSE 14 so it is hard for me to troubleshoot for PSE 12. I do know that typically you can push through rasterize/simplify sort of commands and get the same end result. I haven't had anyone report a bigger object before! Can you show me some screenshots so I can see? <3

15. amien1

I tested this action for leah with PSE12- You do get a lot of pop ups- but ultimately the final was the same. The only problem I ran into was the same black outline like Rikki was getting above. That happens if the background is a solid color rather than a transparent. Leah posted how to fix that above too! Maybe that's what you mean by 'bigger'?

16. scrpprgirl

scrpprgirl New Member

@mommyish @amien1 :overreact I'm so sorry I didn't realize that the pop ups were what was supposed to happen. I'm not very familiar with actions at all. I've been playing with it and I think that I finally get it. As far as it being bigger that was totally my fault. What I was trying to add the inked edge on was bigger than what I could see on the workspace and therefore the shadow was bigger. Don't know if that made any sense at all :lol Sadly it took me longer than it should have to figure that out. So long story short, now I know that I'm supposed to get those pop ups and following the fix above I think I'm good. Thank you both for helping me, I really appreciate it!! :yourock

bestcee, KatrinaHunt13 and amien1 like this.
  17. ldp777

ldp777 Member

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with this action. My initial tries gave me the same results as Rikki, but it made no difference if my bg/fg was black/white or white/black. I always open a new doc with a transparent bg. I use PSE 15, and have found I can get it to work on two different computers in two different ways! On one, I have to run the CS version, and on the other computer I have to use the PSE version and have the CS version loaded. Weird, huh? Oh, and that only works on elements. When I use a paper I get two bottom inked edges, and no top edge. Left and right edges work fine. I've tried it on .jpg and I've turned the paper to a .png file, and I get the same result. Yes, I can cut one of the bottom edges, flip it, and move it to the top, but that's a time killer. I'm going to keep playing and see if I can get this figured out!
    Leslie

18. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Well-Known Member

I'm happy to find this thread because I've been noticing the weird black edge, too. I'm going to play around and see if I can fix it. Thanks for the help.