PSE text indent problem............

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by wombat146, Jan 10, 2017.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

@cookingmylife Maureen I thought I would bring your problem into here instead of taking up room in the challenge thread :)

"I have one done but I am having a terrible time trying to get rid of the auto-indent in PSE13."

As to your PSE question, I have been using PSE since V6 and now I am on V14, but missed out on V13. They would basically be the same though. I haven't come across this problem in the past and even though I had a look in PSE14 and Googled it there doesn't seem to be any references. The only thing I can think of is......... do you have the Asian Text Option ticked in your preferences?? Go to Edit>Preferences>Type (see below)
    PSE PREFERENCES ASIAN TEXT OPTION.JPG

It is an option that can be used for Kerning (bringing the letters closer or wider to each other) and just wondering if this is the culprit that is causing your problems. If it is ticked then untick and just try again.
    The only other thing to do is to Reset your Tools. Sorry but that is all I can think of, PSE does not have any text paragraph settings like PS, it is fairly basic in what can be done so I can not work out where the auto indent is coming from. Let me know if that setting was turned on. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Thanks Ona.

There must be some interesting differences in US vs OZ software! There are no preferences under Edit but only under the bolded Photoshop Elements Editor. I had the Asian text option off. I did check reset this tool and will try again later today. I wanted to wait to install PSE15 til later but now I may do it and learn its quirks sooner rather than later!

Your link shows up as an error btw. ???
    Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 8.40.11 AM.png

3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Ok, tool reset and nothing changed. It's really strange. I tried a new text box and once again in align left I get the indent.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 8.48.22 AM.png

4. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

@cookingmylife I don't know how to fix your indent problem, but maybe as a work-around for your drop caps page you could put the drop caps in their own separate layers, position them where you like, and then use leading spaces to adjust the regular text layers as needed?

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

jenn mccabe likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

That is so weird! The only thing I can think to check is in the Paragraph Palette (options) is there anything besides a 0/zero in the "indent first line field"?
    @cookingmylife
    [​IMG]

7. jenn mccabe

LOL Jenn - I just was thinking this and taking a snap shot of this too! I hope this is it?!?

jk703 likes this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Great minds, Jenn! I hope it's right also!
    @jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Aww, I hope I remember this next time I want to do drop caps! I made so many individual text boxes last night! :rolleyes:

10. jenn mccabe

I'm not sure how well it would work for this - unless you just want to have the first line indented for you drop cap. It doesn't look like there is an option to indent multiple lines of text. So I still think the multiple text boxes thing is the easiest.

michelepixels likes this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Oh! I was just skimming. :)

12. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Wow, I have to go back to the drawing board (get my book of notes out) and re-learn how to do a text box!! Use it or lose it, they say, and I have not been using the text box forever!!!!

13. jenn mccabe

@NancyP
    -Select the Type tool.
    -Create a New layer.
    -And draw a rectangle/box with the Type tool - in the size you want for your journaling. Rough estimate is fine - because you can always adjust the size of the text box later.

*(As long as you have the Text tool selected -not the Move tool- you can use the little rectangles on the borders of the text box to stretch it out in length or width and also bring it in to make it smaller. If you try to do it with the Move tool, it will distort your text.)

Text boxes can be moved around on your page like any other object. So you can align them to make this journaling challenge work for you. Or- you can add a drop cap in the margin next to the journaling if you like.

Give a shout if you need more assistance. :)

14. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

if you do a period (.) then hit enter and start on next line? then rasterize the type when all set to go...make it a layer, not a text. and erase with eraser the period?
    just a thought?

15. NancyP

Oh there you go with that BIG word "RASTERIZE"!!!! Have still never learned what it means!!!!!

But thanks to Jenn for her tip. She saved me from having to go through that big notebook trying to find my notes on text boxes.

16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@cookingmylife - How did you get your PSE13 to indent in the first place? I couldn't figure it out in my PSE 14.

I do agree with the Jens that it has something to do with those text options. Unfortunately, that dialog box is not available in PSE. I'm thinking that your whole PSE needs reset. I've had different problems with text in the past and resetting PSE as a whole has fixed my problems.

Here's how to reset PSE.

• Close Photoshop Elements.
    • Press and hold Ctrl Alt Shift (Mac: Cmd Opt Shift) and keep holding these keys as you restart Photoshop Elements.
    • When you get a dialog box that says: Delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file? you can let go of the keyboard keys and click YES.

If you had made any changes to Preferences prior to this, these will be lost, but it's a small loss compared with the gain of getting back to normal with PSE.

Hope that helps!

17. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

ras·ter·ize
    ˈrastəˌrīz/
    verb
    COMPUTING
    1. convert (an image stored as an outline) into pixels that can be displayed on a screen or printed.
    bhahha that is the technical term..but this is it in Annese:
    you make your text box, type your words,
    get it spelled correct
    then go to the layers palette(I hate that term too, the box that has your layers in it) and right click the layer of the text box.
    a menu appears with lots of different choices.
    Razerize Type is one.
    if you click it, you can no longer edit the type/jounaling. It becomes like a word art you would get out of a kit. So you can play with it in different ways. Erasing and I like to warp the fire out of my journaling! lol

jk703 likes this.
  18. NancyP

I thought that was "simplify" ????

bestcee likes this.
  19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

You are correct Nancy... it's simplify in PSE and rasterize in Photoshop, but it means and does the same thing. They just use different terminology in the 2 programs. Yet, another way to boogle our brains... hehe

wombat146 likes this.
  20. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Jenn and Jenn :giggle You will find that this applies to Photoshop and not Photoshop Elements.... Adobe is weird in their Help menu that they don't put the word Elements anywhere! I found those as well yesterday but then realised it referred to PS not PSE.
    @keepscrappin Kayla I am sure you would agree that there isn't any Paragraph option in PSE, it's pretty basic :) You can draw the text box etc. but that is it.

It might be different in PSE15 .............. @cookingmylife Maureen, the screen shot was from PSE14 :) and sorry about the link, not sure what happened there :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    jk703, jenn mccabe and keepscrappin like this.