PSE Shenanigans (again) and Num Lock Issues

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Mar 6, 2018.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My PSE is acting up again... and this time it is doing something new.

When I click on ANYTHING, whether it is in my layout or in the layers panel or anywhere within PSE, a circle radiate from my curser. It appears as soon as I release the click and starts big and goes inward getting smaller, until it is gone. If I hold the click longer before releasing it, the circle is bigger.

On an unrelated (I think) note... My num lock button isn't working (for the side numeral pad on my keyboard). This isn't working at all, not just in PSE. Is it possible to toggle this on and off?

Both issues appeared after a very scary computer experience this past weekend. I was visiting my friend and her family out of state for the weekend. I pulled out my laptop briefly on Saturday night to order BYOC. While it was downloading, I sat my computer on the floor beside where I was sitting on the couch (something I frequently do at home). My friend's three year old son, RAN ACROSS THE KEYBOARD ON MY COMPUTER. My heart literally stopped. Somehow he managed to toggle off my touch screen AND my mouse (any maybe my num lock key?). It was quite the endeavor, but we did get the touch screen and mouse working again. Now, I am just wondering if more was done that I didn't immediately realize.

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

re the num lock. I am not sure. I have a HP Envy and I can never tell if it is on or off until I type a number. if it doesn't work than I press the num lock to put it on. It is frustrating, but I got used to that. Re your other issue, I never heard of that before either. Gosh re the little one running over your keyboard. It is quite possible. Glad your touch screen and mouse are working agai.I am just wondering what the f keys that he hit did . Sorry I can't help.

bestcee likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Do you use a pen, Desi? @GlazeFamily3
    If so, this might help.
    If not, check the Preferences > Cursors to see if something might be off.

To disable the Number Lock, press the FN and Num Lock keys on your keyboard. This will either turn on or turn off the Num Lock function. Or, I'm wondering if he ran across it, and it got locked, but the button above didn't stay locked down. Maybe pop it off, and put it back again?

4. GlazeFamily3

I do not have a pen I use with it... though what he is describing sounds exactly like what is happening to me in PSE. I did go to the PSE preferences for cursor and nothing was not factory settings that I could tell. However, I did a reset for the cursors and the radiating circle did not go away.

As for the num lock... I did the FN and num lock key and nothing happened after numerous attempts. I removed the key and reattached it and again, nothing.

I have no idea what keys he hit as he ran across it, but man I wish I did. He is a crazy little tornado with enough energy for about a thousand people.

5. jk703

Is it a certain color that radiates? Can you take a screen shot? (Might be hard to get).

Num Lock - Try this:
    Click Start menu. Type "on screen keyboard." After it opens on screen keyboard click on options. Click on turn on numeric key pad then press ok. This will make it appear on the on screen keyboard the num lock key click on it. Try toggling it that way.

6. GlazeFamily3

IMG_8636.JPG

I think this image might be huge and I am sorry if it is. I got my daughter to snap a picture of me making it do it so you can see.

I did what you said about pulling up the on screen keyboard and I toggled on the num lock there. But it didn't transfer over to my actual keyboard.

7. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I happened to see this youtube video. It tells you how to change your mouse to have a circle. Maybe it will point you in the right direction to change it back. Good luck.

8. jk703

Hmmm. I'm not sure. Do you have the caps lock down? That might cause your cursor to change ion photoshop. I really think it's your cursor preferences. What are your settings there?

I'm not sure about the num lock. I only saw teh directions to turn it off in the Windows Directory.
    (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...lock-key/5015026b-fbf4-4dfb-9388-09070148ad2c)
    1. Click Start, click Run, and type regedit to open the Windows registry editor.
    2. In the registry, open the below folders.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
      Control Panel\
      Keyboard\
    3. Within the keyboard folder, you should have a string value named "InitialKeyboardIndicators" with a value of 0, 1, or 2. Below is the explanation of each of these values.

0 = Num Lock is turned OFF after the logon.
      1 = Disable Num Lock.
      2 = Numlock is turned ON after the logon.

9. GlazeFamily3

All my cursor preferences were reset to default today, so I really don't think that's it.

I tried that with num lock... I am beginning to wonder if got broken when he stepped on it? Though I cannot see anything visibly broken when I pop the key off.

10. mcurtt

@GlazeFamily3 Did you see the you-tube video link that I posted?

11. GlazeFamily3

@mcurtt I just watched it and unfortunately it didn't help. It is only occurring in PSE, but I checked those settings anyhow. They aren't turned on. Thanks for sharing though!

12. mcurtt

I happened to see someone comment that their NUM LOCK issue was resolved by this:
    Press and hold the Num Lock key until a beep sounds. The keypad should now work.

And someone else suggested this:
    Finally found NUM LOCK off & on in Ease of Access.
    under the heading "Make the mouse easier to use"

I went to "ease of access center" in control panel for windows 10 and then to "make the keyboard easier to use" I had to uncheck a few boxes

i.e. Turn on Mouse Keys, Control the mouse with the keyboard and Turn on
    Toggle Keys. My Dell keyboard does not have a Num Lock key, only a
    CLEAR key where the Num Lock would usually be found (top left corner of
    the ten key pad). I have not yet figured out what that key does??

13. GlazeFamily3

I have actually tried all that. When my mouse and touchpad went away originally, my husband toggled on to use the number keypad to navigate the screen and fix the mouse and touchpad. I have tried turning that off and on in ease of access, but it doesn't change anything.

Also, I have never heard of a CLEAR key there? I have a Dell, too...

14. GlazeFamily3

As for the beep thing, I did hold it down and get a beep. It didn't work. I held it down again and got a slightly different beep... still nothing.

15. mcurtt

Sorry... I can't help you there. I was just copying & pasting some suggestions from others on their NUM LOC problem. I hope you get this figured out... :-(

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  16. mcurtt

Just a thought, since the cursor issue is only with Elements, have you asked on any Adobe forums?

17. GlazeFamily3

I have not. I thought I would try here first.

mcurtt likes this.
  18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, I know my brush changes looks if the Caps lock is on. I assume it's not, since you are typing here? But you could try toggling that to see?

19. GlazeFamily3

I tried that too... no luck.