PS Elements - Drag and Drop help

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Karen, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am trying to help my MIL over the phone with a problem she is having. She has a new laptop with Windows 10 and is running Photoshop Elements 5 on it. She's been running with no problems since the spring when she bought the new laptop, but today she can't drag and drop any files into Elements. I've searched online and found a couple suggestions (like don't run as administrator and also she found a YouTube video that showed how to edit her registry that fixed the problem for regular Photoshop users) but none of those fixed her problem. I don't have Elements so I can't even poke around in the preferences to see what might work. She read me all the option in Preferences and I didn't hear anything that should be a problem.
    So my question is, have any of you seen this same problem and do you know how to fix it? Help! :)

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I haven't had that problem before when using PSE.

I have to ask though - has she restarted her computer? Has she uninstalled and reinstalled the software?

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

What's updated on the computer? If it's been running ok, maybe there was a driver or program update that affected it? Sometimes it can even be another program that updated or was installed.
    I have PSE11, but there were a ton of changes between 5 and 11, so I don't think that's helpful.

And when I have drag and drop problems with PSCC, I find restarting it to be the answer.

cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  4. Karen

She has restarted her computer a couple of times. She also said that she hadn't changed anything that she knows of, but I don't know about Windows updates or anything like that. She hasn't reinstalled the software because she is camping (glamping) and doesn't have it with her. I will have her try that when she gets home.

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@Karen - sorry I don't have an answer! I know she's frustrated. Is she copying and pasting in the meantime?

Karen likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I've noticed with CC if I have too many things open- chrome with mult tabs, my font program, cc & a bunch of file windows- my drag & drop won't work! Usually I just close everything down and then reopen JUST CC and my files and it will work again. I hope it's that easy of a fix for her!

keepscrappin and Karen like this.
  7. Karen

Yeah, she's able to use File, Open to get her files to open, but it's cumbersome. Thanks for the ideas so far! :)

gonewiththewind and keepscrappin like this.
  8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I'm surprised PSE 5 even works with Windows 10. I had to upgrade to PSE 8 back when windows XP came out because PSE 6 wouldn't work anymore for me. I now have PSE 14 and CC.

I use the file > place command to open the items right in my layout. That might be easier than file > open because it would save memory/RAM by not opening so many things.

I've also had the chrome memory issues since the last forced windows 10 update. I hope those get fixed soon in the next update.

cfile and Karen like this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I agree with Kayla. PSE 5 is so old I doubt it's compatible with her new OS. It's 10 versions behind the current PSE15. I'm sure she liked it and was comfortable with it but sometimes you just have to move forward.

Karen likes this.
  10. Karen

I thought the same thing initially about Elements 5 being too old, but I checked several forums and all of them said that it was still compatible and that they are running it fine on Windows 10. And she has been running fine for months.

Yesterday she took her laptop to Best Buy because she paid for the Geek Squad service for two years when she bought this laptop. When she went into the store they said she had a bunch of Windows updates that needed to be done and they connected her to their wi-fi and got those updates going. After the updates, her drag and drop works fine again. It must have been midway through an update when she left for camping and it didn't finish correctly or something. Anyway, she is back and running again and is all set for her weekend retreat next weekend.

And... she bought Elements 15 but is going to wait until AFTER her retreat to install it and learn the new stuff. Thanks so much for all your help everyone! :)

cfile and bestcee like this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm so glad it's working again!
    Updates cause all kinds of weirdness!

Karen likes this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I use Place all the time too for everthing and it allows for adjustments as the place as smart objects. Also this avoids all those open windows of items that you will have to close later on too.

Karen likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Yes, I sigh of relief and a retreat sound ideal before starting with PSE15. That is a big leap.

Karen likes this.