Printing your Pages | Chat ReCap 3.8.17

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Mar 8, 2017.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

What a whirlwind time! It went so fast!!
    look at this scrapbook page from 1925:"
    03 1925.jpg
    and scrapbooking has been being done even without photos! Because!!! ??
    Photos weren't even invented. rock_comp.jpg
    Look at that tape!? eek, it would eat up a photograph, but I would love it as a digital element!
    @berniek had a great comment:
    When we were kids, we used to make scrapbooks of our holidays. Colourful toiletpaper (they had pink and yellow in France), the best ice cream popsicle wrappers, everything was taped in. I have no idea were those have gone now...

you don't need photos, but more importantly, that getting your pages out of an online gallery or EHD and uploaded and PRINTed so generations can see and HOLD them
    We all agree preserving these memories is important...
    I want to ask those that don't print, or those that took forever to print (me me me) what stopped you? or is stopping you?

some responses from the chat:
    Money stops me from printing. Money here too. I have all kinds of projects in my head but not completed. I overthink the processes. I want to print full albums. And I never seem to be motivated enough to finish a full album. I've only got 1 printed. Sometimes money... Sometimes just things like wanting a book to be kind of in order, it feels like if I print it, it's complete, so if I have more pictures of that time or what not, I'll hold it for printing. I have no kids.I scrap in 8.5 x 11 so I can home print

These are probably familiar reasons to you too!
    I want you to see that getting those books into hands is important!
    I have done the 12x12 ring books, loved the pages, but the albums! argh
    008.JPG

now I am not bashing on snapchat, cause I love this meme because it is fun!! I want my kid's kids to see me having fun!
    [​IMG]
    Your books today, will be seen by people whose fashions and such will be so different..but I love looking at my great grandparents lives. I look at those photos so close. What is going on behind the person too!
    005.JPG
    here is my dusty (remember I live in the desert) bookshelf of evolving scrapbooks!
    002.JPG 002.JPG My first scrapbook, in 2000, for my adopted son. Gotta love the glow in the dark puffy paint! This book went to my son's foster family to introduce us to him. I used regular printer paper, and elmer's glue! EEEK! but, my son carried it with him for a long time! Each one of our children have their own book.
    As the years have progressed, so have the scrapped memory books!
    from the 10x10 individual print books in albums to an 10x10 printed book
    020.JPG
    029.JPG
    The chat was filled with others showing their printed projects!! I would love to see this thread filled with those and YOURS too.. As an inspiration to others to print! I will try and get a thread up about costs and such soon! Our @Scrapping with Liz has a fantastic blog post that really helps a lot also.
    HAHAHMYSPACCEABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBARJUSTSSTOPEWORBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

The chat was so fun. Going to go home and share some pics of my completed and printed albums. :)

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks for the fun chat Anne! @AnneofAlamo

12 x 12 20th Anniv book printed at Blurb
    [​IMG]

Canvas Clock I made for my friend who was a music teacher.. for her retirement printed at Canvas Print . com
    [​IMG]

Coffee mug I made years ago printing at Zazzle . com

[​IMG]

mcurtt, Rikki and QuiltyMom like this.
  4. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I'm glad you posted these pics, I couldn't see them during the chat for some reason. And I got kicked out, so if there was a coupon, I missed it. I'll dig out my books & post when I can.

cfile likes this.
  5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I couldn't upload any pics yesterday as I had to take them first.

This is a look at all my photobooks I have printed since 2003. Vacation albums, yearbooks and a few DYD albums. The only ones that are missing are 2014 and 2015 because I am dreading the cost for those two. But 2016 is done!

The thinner ones on top are either DYD or smaller vacation books or 30 days of lists and such.

[​IMG]

And below is an assortment of books. As you can see I am not consistent at all. Oh, btw, the one at the bottom left with the drawn heart on I scrapped on my phone while we were away. All I did later was adding the journaling. Everything else was done on the go.

[​IMG]

bestcee, keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  6. cfile

Jess, PM Anne @AnneofAlamo I am sure she will send you the coupon.. I can vouch for ya that you were there :)

jesskab likes this.
  7. cfile

that is fantastic Rikki! that is awesome that you did the entire book on the go.. wow! Love your collection of books :) Fabulous!

8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Seeing so many printed pages makes my heart happy!

Here's my current stack of printed books. I have at least two books ready to print, so I need to get those ordered and added to the stacks!

IMG_6635tlp.jpg

keepscrappin, cfile and Rikki like this.
  9. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

So sad that I missed this chat, but definitely agree with getting things off the computer & printed! I'm so behind with my PL, but that's what I use to get my photos off my computer & into my hands. For my digital pages I print 2 Blurb books at a time once I have 400 LOs created, (200 LOs in each book). Almost time for another printing, probably this month, so these will be books 11 & 12!! SO excited!!!!

keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  10. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

Sad to have missed the chat. Sounds like it was great.
    I print individual layouts and put in an album. I do no scrap chronologically, but I like to have them in my album chronological. By printing individual layouts I do not have to worry about getting a "group" of pictures done all together to be able to print a book (this used to be the reason I never printed anything, because I didn't have all the pictures from that year or that time period scrapped). I usually wait for a print sale or credit sale with my favorite printer and print off a lot of layouts at at time (like 100). Once I get the layouts done for a year, I would like to print an actual book, but I think the cost will be pretty high (I have close to 200 layouts for some years).

keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Bummed I had to miss the chat, but I had to be at drama club with my girls; yesterday was the first day back after taking a break after their production of Beauty and The Beast.

I print because as a person who grew up before the digital age I don't fully trust it. At least I think that's the reason. Whatever it is, I definitely feel more comfortable having printed versions of my photos and scrapbook pages. (I want to add here that I LOVE the marvels of digital technology. I would hate to lose it. I just trust paper more than a bunch of 0101101000100110100110 . . . :)

So I've tried many printing options since I began using a digital camera in 2002. I've printed with my own printer and had several companies print for me. I've printed 8x8, 8.5x11, 6x9, 10x10, and 12x12, softcover and hardcover. For the last several years I've come to prefer Blurb, but sometimes I take advantage of Shutterfly deals too. MyPublisher has great quality like Blurb, but doesn't make square (or at least not 12x12) albums. I have printed a few individual pages with Persnickety and they're beautiful, but I've come to prefer getting albums made because they're sturdier than the albums and sheet protectors we can buy.

Here's a photo I made in December just after I had last year's album printed (my years are November to November to take advantage of holiday deals at Blurb). These are just my 12x12 Blurb albums. I have at least 10 other scrapbooks of other sizes and from other companies.
    [​IMG]

@cfile Christa, I consider my Shutterfly mugs another kind of scrapbooking too! Not only have I made several with photos, I've preserved some of my daughter's drawings on mugs. Like this one:
    [​IMG]

edited to add: I also meant to say that I identify with the scrapbooks with no photos. I started scrapping like that in 6th grade in 1983. I still have all of my scrapbooks since then, filled with magazine ads I liked (like the one for whipped cream that shows their favorite "recipe": one shortcake, two strawberries, and 15 cans of Reddi-Whip :D ) , ticket stubs, party napkins, school reports, my own messy handwriting, lots of things! I can't remember if I've photographed them. I should! I have photographed all my journal pages (thousands) as a back up (see, while I feel better having printed many of my photos, I also feel better having digital back up of all my handwritten journals!) and I've photographed my old pre-digital photo albums for back up too . . . but I don't think I've done the same for my old childhood scrapbooks. Adding that to my to do list. :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Scrapping with Liz and cfile like this.
  12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Sorry that I missed most of the chat. I've printed a lot of books, so I'll get a photo of them uploaded in a while. Thanks for hosting this, Anne!

13. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I didn't even realize there was a chat. My bad. For non-digital, I've got my baby book, my DH baby book, scrapbooks that I put together over the years (lots of them have greeting cards glued into them - haven't quite figured out how they could be digitized). I've even gone to auctions and picked up a vintage scrapbook or two. My biggest constraint is space, they take up so much room. Maybe I can post some pics after I get home.

For anyone interested in scrapbook history, I do have Scrapbooks: An American History. It is a gorgeous book and on Amazon they are going for practically nothing. I paid full price for mine when it first was published.

https://www.amazon.com/Scrapbooks-An-American-History/dp/B005UVXKM4

I also have The Scrapbook in American Life. A nice informative book, but not picture heavy like the previous one.

https://www.amazon.com/Scrapbook-Am...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9YPQARNCTS77FCMJHCN4

When I print books, Blurb is my new go-to. I did Shutterfly for years, but was totally thrilled with Blurb, tried them this Fall after recommendations from others at TLP. I also PRINT OUT all of my layouts on my trusty Canon printer, I've got them in 3 ring binders.

Scrapping with Liz and cfile like this.
  14. Rikki

@mcurtt That first one looks really interesting. Love all the photos, I am sure one can get lots of inspiration from it.

I have been journaling about my travels since I was about 12 and still have all my travel diaries. I put all sorts of memorabilia in them , ticket stubs, receipts, postcards, photos etc. Then, one day in the early nineties, I wrote my travel diary and my host (it was in the US) said something along the lines of "are you going to put this in your scrapbook?". That was the first time I ever heard the word "scrapbook" and I had no clue what she was talking about :-)

Now that I am such a passionate scrapbooker I keep thinking about that moment. Oh, if she could see all my scrapbooks now!

mcurtt likes this.
  15. Rikki

@michelepixels I love the idea of having your kids' artwork on a mug. Yours looks really good. I like the way the image seems to sneak around the whole mug.

michelepixels likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

@AnneofAlamo - Thanks so much for sharing all of that. I LOVE seeing what you've done.

This is the main reason I print my pages:
    [​IMG]
    My kids love them so much!!! The pic above was just taken a few weeks ago after getting our 2016 album. The picture below is last year after getting our 2015 album (they are looking at QR codes). I promise - this photo was not staged!

[​IMG]

Then my scrapbook bookshelf. Although my hubby just built me a new bookshelf upstairs. I'm running out of room!
    [​IMG]

17. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Liz - I love that your scrapbook shelf is right by the door. Then you and the kids can each grab some scrapbooks to save on your way out in case of an emergency!

18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Liz, that shot with your children says it all. I wish I had that for my three, now adults!

1st are the printed books and a book from our Canada trip.
    IMG_9611.jpg

My PL albums and a lot of individual printed pages in the batch on the left. I seriously want that Ikea bookcase to get these downstairs but here they are in the midst of a furniture move upstairs. IMG_9606.jpg

Then there are the Christmas albums - the top one fading and the glued bits falling off. Oh well. btw, my husband almost put this bin of albums out for the AmVets pickup. Sigh...
    IMG_9613.jpg

19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Here are my first and last attempts to make a quick little album. HA! I thought I'd like fiddling with scissors glue and gesso...oh no no no. Never again.

IMG_9609.jpg IMG_9610.jpg

And then there was the Valentine's album for my husband, hole punched at the wrong corner first. Fortunately he does not notice such design mistakes.

IMG_9614.jpg

Design is SO much easier when digitally done! cmd-z, oh I love you.

20. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It actually does wrap around the mug. There are 6 characters total in her drawing.

I was going to say the same as Kayla! I actually keep my two boxes of handwritten journals in my front hall closet because they are the only non-living irreplaceable things in my house that I care strongly about.

:eek: Was he joking or not pay attention or what?